When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

57 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Well I can guarantee that the bar won't be lower in 5 weeks time if we're seeing these rises with the current level of restrictions. It'll be the peak of this "wave" 

I just wish they'd be honest about it. Social distancing is with us til next summer (at least) - they're just giving us false hope dates again. Then they'll give us another, then it'll be schools going back and we need to protect the children. Then boosters, then height of winter so NHS can't cope (and even if we do get a couple of months of a bit more stuff, this will happen anyway- it'll be a brutal winter healthcare wise and strong restrictions are inevitable) 

Not even saying it from a conspiracy point of view (though questions may need to be asked if we're under similar or even more restrictions this time next year). This is what the scientists will have said as a long term plan, but that plan isn't politically acceptable so they have to psychologically manipulate us 

This is a problem, in 4 more weeks the data will be even worse than now so I can’t see how deciding no to the 21st June on current data but yes to 19th July is even possible.

Yes, they’ll be a load more jabs by then but it’s not like they’re going full guns anyway. For example, the risk assessment for under 40s getting AZ was presented as a weigh up between risk of Covid related illness vs clot risk. Either the current risk profile is now different, and we should’ve sped up jabs to under 30s so the 4 week delay is worth it to catch up. Or the risk assessment HASN’T changed, therefore jabbing those groups won’t make much difference, so the delay also won’t make much difference.

(Caveat: obvs my point above is very simplistic and it’s more complex than that.)

Edited by Radiochicken
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Loads of different people at the time were saying India should’ve been put on the red list.

You can’t blame Indy SAGE for the delay and let Johnson off the hook. I know some people (in general, not specifically on here) like to let Johnson get away with everything but this is on him.

I'm not blaming anyone for the delay. 

The delay is being caused by a number of factors. One of which is the delta variant. 

Only way to stop imported variants is to close the boarder indefinitely or ensure quarentine for everyone to minimise the seepage. What about home grown variants? 

Zero covid isn't going to happen and the idea of it is as dangerous at the loopy anti Vax lot.

Who else thinks the gov leaked this 4 week delay to the media to get everyone worked up, so when bojo actually announces a 2 week delay, or some restrictions ending on 21st but not all, he looks like the hero saving our summer?

4 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Who else thinks the gov leaked this 4 week delay to the media to get everyone worked up, so when bojo actually announces a 2 week delay, or some restrictions ending on 21st but not all, he looks like the hero saving our summer?

Fuck I hope so. Been thinking that myself. Been talking to some of my colleagues today. The only thing getting us through since reopening was, it's only 5 weeks. Another 4 on top might break us. 

8 minutes ago, Simsy said:

They always leak purposefully. 1) to gauge the response from public 2) to soften the blow of when they officially announce something.. everyone already knew and have already started to accept it

13 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

I'm not blaming anyone for the delay. 

The delay is being caused by a number of factors. One of which is the delta variant. 

Only way to stop imported variants is to close the boarder indefinitely or ensure quarentine for everyone to minimise the seepage. What about home grown variants? 

Zero covid isn't going to happen and the idea of it is as dangerous at the loopy anti Vax lot.

I agree, they should’ve closed the borders much earlier to countries that were rife with the virus such as India. It’s the reason we aren’t unlocking in full on the 21st. 

Indie sage will just be saying what real sage are telling the government privately. The delta variant is more infectious and could result in 3rd wave which could lead to a big rise in hospitalisations. The link between cases and hospitalisations is weak, but is still there,and they don't know how bad it will get. Govt has to decide if worth risking fully opening or not. This is the situation, not all the paranoid conspiracy bollocks that gets posted on here.

Just now, Barry Fish said:

or is he playing politics ?  Swings to the opposite view point of the Tory government.

Nah, he's just won another term and generally seems to want to have the city moving again. As I said he's been cautious throughout this so if he is publicly saying stuff like the above then he almost certainly means it.

I look forward to Boris banning all forms of travel on Monday as we cannot risk anyone losing their lives unnecessarily. 

Smoking, alcohol, sugar and processed food all on the hit list too. 

Zero deaths from any preventable causes must be our target. For the greater good. 

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Yes. This is basically labours strategy at the mo

Nah, it's not. Khan has been annoying throughout this, not towing party line with the taking-a-backseat stuff Starmer has been doing and has been very vocal about wanting extra restrictions (even ridiculous stuff like masks outside). He's not going to bother saying "we're ready to reopen" if he thought for a second London would get hit badly because of it – I say that as someone that lives here, has watched how he's worked throughout this, and isn't particularly a huge fan of him in the first place.

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

Regular shops closed, supermarkets and amazon still open. Pubs closed, McDonald's open. Just another of the same - to us independents closing down to be replaced by one soulless wetherspoons or other corporate chain is bad. For those at the top its a win

I wonder how quickly it would change if spoons said you know what bollocks to social distancing from the 21st... We're open as usual. 

• Upvote 1