When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, El Matador said:

I would've agreed with that previously. However here we are with everyone that has a statistically relevant chance of dying from covid fully vaccinated and yet we're still not lifting restrictions. Not sure how much lower the bar needs to go. 

I know what you mean and how it seems if we do delay step 4 but I genuinely think it’s to get more people fully vaccinated due to the Delta variance. I guess we’ll have to wait and see but I see an end to this in sight!

17 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Starting to feel like we are destined for another lockdown in the winter, especially if this is all it takes to delay reopening by nearly a month.

Honestly if that happens we may just not bother with another round of vaccinations, they were sold to us as our route out and if they're rendered pointless then we might as well just give up 

35 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Not sure why you felt a need to send this my way but thanks anyway.  I think we all know the USA is currently denying entry to the USA.  It was the whole point of why we was replying to each other.  Like I said yesterday - you only need to reply to a post if you have something new to offer - you don't have to reply to every post stating the bloody obvious lol.

Because you made it seem as though we were the only country with travel restrictions.

14 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

The majority of this forum have this idea in thoughts with your name lol.

Go ahead, I really don't care. I'll be detached from your shit and just have the other two grating selfishly on here.

Phwoooooar! If I'd known the sexual tension levels in here were so erogenous, I wouldn't have avoided this thread for so long!

This is like The X-Files crossed with Moonlighting!

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

I know what you mean and how it seems if we do delay step 4 but I genuinely think it’s to get more people fully vaccinated due to the Delta variance. I guess we’ll have to wait and see but I see an end to this in sight!

No man. The media and this indie sage lot have absolutely terrified people, that the only reasonable way out is zero Covid. It’s not going to change. Any progress is actually making things worse than before.

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

You are correct.  Its a bit beyond me today where the actual evidence is for continuing with restrictions.  Every chart shows exactly what we expected to see at this stage and some charts are better.

I said this earlier but I’ll say again. I went away for the weekend last weekend and spent some time with my family and friends of the family. I noticed something that has really stuck with me.

People are terrified. Absolutely terrified. Of course you have some which have been going to pubs since day 1, but I’m starting to get pretty concerned about how deep the fear installed by this virus has effected people.

One of my mums friends came to the pub with us. It was her first time going since the start of the pandemic. She wore a mask at all times and insisted wearing a mask at the table and only took it off when she had to eat. When she saw a crowded beer garden I thought she was going to faint, no joke.

I find this incredibly sad and this is also what is making me a bit angry and heated on here. I feel like the way the media reports this virus is actually doing some serious damage to people. I also think indie sage twist the knife because they enjoy being in the spotlight. This is why zero Covid becomes the only option when any Covid is considered unacceptable.

We are never going to reach zero Covid. So what do we do? What happens next? How do we move from here.

49 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Yeah, it's completely flawed. I assume it goes off the text message/email you get when you log a result on the website. But there's absolutely nothing stopping you entering a barcode and then whatever result you want if you want too. 

For the Download pilot I think it said something about Oxfam volunteers (and other crew presumably) possibly doing the test over zoom but that's obviously impossible for punters at an event

1 hour ago, JB15 said:

Yep, they had to provide evidence of a negative lateral flow. I had tickets but sadly couldn’t go. Was gutted especially now other days of cricket will probably be limited now

Outbreak after these means they can say the public can't be trusted to do it properly, and that vaccine proof is the only way to stop the spread. With more prevalence than May there will be more positive tests. I'm convinced this is the aim and that we won't be reopening anything without social distancing until that's in place.

The Download event making people send a PCR beforehand as well will have been FR's insurance policy to see how many were dishonest. The honesty of those 10,000 people will likely determine IF the festival industry has a future in the post covid world. I read in that select committee's report that there wasn't even a plan to test standing gigs or camping ones so they're so far away from government's priority that I honestly fear for their future.

Edited by efcfanwirral

16 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I said this earlier but I’ll say again. I went away for the weekend last weekend and spent some time with my family and friends of the family. I noticed something that has really stuck with me.

People are terrified. Absolutely terrified. Of course you have some which have been going to pubs since day 1, but I’m starting to get pretty concerned about how deep the fear installed by this virus has effected people.

One of my mums friends came to the pub with us. It was her first time going since the start of the pandemic. She wore a mask at all times and insisted wearing a mask at the table and only took it off when she had to eat. When she saw a crowded beer garden I thought she was going to faint, no joke.

I find this incredibly sad and this is also what is making me a bit angry and heated on here. I feel like the way the media reports this virus is actually doing some serious damage to people. I also think indie sage twist the knife because they enjoy being in the spotlight. This is why zero Covid becomes the only option when any Covid is considered unacceptable.

We are never going to reach zero Covid. So what do we do? What happens next? How do we move from here.

My mum used to be dead scared in lockdown 1. When I was living at home she used to get annoyed when I got a takeaway as if it was unsafe.. stuff like that.

Now she has 2 doses she has defo calmed down. Hopefully that will come to everyone. The media defo hasn't helped in that regard. 

34 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Honestly if that happens we may just not bother with another round of vaccinations, they were sold to us as our route out and if they're rendered pointless then we might as well just give up 

This is why they have to release restrictions soon. If they don’t then vaccine take up when it comes round to the booster to combat the scary new variant of the time will plummet as people, including myself, will say what’s the point? That will then mean that wave is far more deadly. This sort of planning for the future doesn’t really seem to be being taken into account with these knee jerk reactions, but this lack of foresight could end up being incredibly damaging.

Edited by tigger123

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I agree with everything you're saying, though the bit in bold is something I see a lot of and distracts completely. I don't believe this is anything to do with the spotlight, I think the truth is scarier - that they genuinely believe what they're saying and that zero covid is the only way.

Given some of their backgrounds it wouldn't surprise me if climate change was part of this- it can't be denied that to deal with this we need far more extreme behaviour changes than the lockdown last winter involved. 

I think applying basic wants and needs like fame and attention to much deeper rooted ideologies diminishes the threat to the way of life we had. But then is now the time just not bring back plane travel? Why give it back when many are half way through the mourning/acceptance process? 

59 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Can’t even look at this thread at the moment. This is all getting too familiar.

Starting to feel like we are destined for another lockdown in the winter, especially if this is all it takes to delay reopening by nearly a month.

Other countries aren’t bothering with shit like this. We can’t eliminate this virus. People who are vulnerable won’t go away in another month. We’ve done all we can to offer a level of basic protection for those who need it. We have heaps of medicine, research and vaccines on the flu and still people who receive the flu jab die from the flu. It’s a fact of life that there are people in the world who are very vulnerable.

I hate the fact that I have to resort to comparisons of the flu as it makes me sound like one of these bloody right wingers, but this extension to lifting restrictions makes no sense. Why? Because I doubt things are going to ever get any better than this. Has there been a day in history where we’ve had less than 20 deaths for the flu? No. So why would there be for COVID?

We aren’t EVER going to reach a point where this virus isn’t circulating and people aren’t dying from it.

Well said. Unfortunately we are turning into a nation of hypochondriacs and, dare I say it, cowards. (the media and government primarily responsible for this)

Edited by ryan1992

34 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Interesting. Genuine question, are people seeing a lot of this? Because I'm really not. But then I suppose most of the people I'm encountering in my day to day are the ones who've chosen to go away on holiday or chosen to go to a busy bar, so therefore obviously not terrified. The only time I really see people outside wearing masks is when they are obviously nipping between shops, say. 

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Can’t even look at this thread at the moment. This is all getting too familiar.

Other countries aren’t bothering with shit like this. We can’t eliminate this virus. People who are vulnerable won’t go away in another month. We’ve done all we can to offer a level of basic protection for those who need it. We have heaps of medicine, research and vaccines on the flu and still people who receive the flu jab die from the flu. It’s a fact of life that there are people in the world who are very vulnerable.

I hate the fact that I have to resort to comparisons of the flu as it makes me sound like one of these bloody right wingers, but this extension to lifting restrictions makes no sense. Why? Because I doubt things are going to ever get any better than this. Has there been a day in history where we’ve had less than 20 deaths for the flu? No. So why would there be for COVID?

We aren’t EVER going to reach a point where this virus isn’t circulating and people aren’t dying from it.

Out of upvotes for today but I’m in full agreement with this post.

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Disagree. 21 being delayed is all their doing IMO. 

or the 82  members of sage  made a decision based on their scientific knowledge , or Boris decides what hes doing off his own back and other influences anyway .... 

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

or the 82  members of sage  made a decision based on their scientific knowledge , or Boris decides what hes doing off his own back and other influences anyway .... 

indie sage fed the media the fear story they were looking for and influenced public opinion. It’s that simple.

8 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Interesting. Genuine question, are people seeing a lot of this? Because I'm really not. But then I suppose most of the people I'm encountering in my day to day are the ones who've chosen to go away on holiday or chosen to go to a busy bar, so therefore obviously not terrified. The only time I really see people outside wearing masks is when they are obviously nipping between shops, say. 

Youngsters, pub lads, holiday lovers no. But the slightly shy / more introverted sort have been absolutely terrified by what’s going on. I reckon some of them may never be the same at a crowd or gathering again.

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

and Boris does his own thing anyway 

Until the media start hounding him to do something. 

I think where you and me disagree is you’re looking for direct effect, whereas I’m talking about indirect effect. Obviously Indie Sage are not writing policy, but their actions put a snowball in motion which ends up in policy making. It all comes down to fear. Once the media get the story that there is a risk they don’t exactly pull the story.

26 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

This is why they have to release restrictions soon. If they don’t then vaccine take up when it comes round to the booster to combat the scary new variant of the time will plummet as people, including myself, will say what’s the point? That will then mean that wave is far more deadly. This sort of planning for the future doesn’t really seem to be being taken into account with these knee jerk reactions, but this lack of foresight could end up being incredibly damaging.

Surely folk would understand the point of the vaccine is to avoid serious illness or death, that being its primary objective rather than being a pub pass

Just now, Matt42 said:

Youngsters, pub lads, holiday lovers no. But the slightly shy / more introverted sort have been absolutely terrified by what’s going on. I reckon some of them may never be the same at a crowd or gathering again.

some maybe not .... but the vast majority will adapt back just like they adapted to social distancing ... some will take much longer than others ... some might need to reintegrate slowly ... thats the method im taking , but i know Ill get there