When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, steviewevie said:

I've been saying that Johnson can't do a fixed delay, but just been reading that maybe he will to assuage angry backbench MPs. If that's the case maybe 4 weeks is more likely than 2. There is a risk that Johnson can't hold to that date, but hopefully as more people are vaccinated the risks will diminish sufficiently.

The reaction of Tory MPs will be really interesting, will this get a few of them feeling a bit nervous or angry!?

13 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

The reaction of Tory MPs will be really interesting, will this get a few of them feeling a bit nervous or angry!?

I think he'll keep them on side if he can guarantee it's a fixed term of 4 weeks but if he can't I can see them becoming quite restless 

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Clever maths man on Twitter with thread on vaccine efficacy from latest PHE data

Very encouraging - 80% protection against hospitalisation after ONE dose. A lot less protection against actually getting it, but if the stats are correct then we should not be seeing any significant increase in hospitalisations in vaccinated populations in the next 4 weeks (after which everyone over 18 will be offered a dose), at which stage we have to press ahead anyway in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

I think he'll keep them on side if he can guarantee it's a fixed term of 4 weeks but if he can't I can see them becoming quite restless 

There's no way he'll guarantee anything. Undoubtedly in 4 weeks time there'll be the timbuktu variant or the benidorm mutation and we'll be told another 2 weeks delay to get more data. 

Increasingly thinking they've already planned for restrictions in autumn and its much easier to do that if you don't remove them in the first place. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, El Matador said:

There's no way he'll guarantee anything. Undoubtedly in 4 weeks time there'll be the timbuktu variant or the benidorm mutation and we'll be told another 2 weeks delay to get more data. 

Increasingly thinking they've already planned for restrictions in autumn and its much easier to do that if you don't remove them in the first place. 

I really don’t think that’ll happen, it’ll just be once we have a certain amount fully vaccinated. Johnson won’t want to keep this going any longer than he really has too. 

11 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

What was the evidence ?  Surely you didn't turn up waving around a the actual test capsule ? 

Yeah, it's completely flawed. I assume it goes off the text message/email you get when you log a result on the website. But there's absolutely nothing stopping you entering a barcode and then whatever result you want if you want too. 

For the Download pilot I think it said something about Oxfam volunteers (and other crew presumably) possibly doing the test over zoom but that's obviously impossible for punters at an event

8 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Shouldn't be long off now - I have two trips to the states booked and can't wait to get back "home".

You don't need a visa to enter the USA.  You need a ESTA which I have and is currently active.  The USA won't stay locked up for any longer than required and the UK is highly likely to be back on their green list soon.

'

Entry to USA

Since 16 March 2020, it is not possible for most British nationals to enter the USA if they have been in the UK, Ireland, Schengen zone, Iran, Brazil, or China within the previous 14 days. '

18 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

What was the evidence ?  Surely you didn't turn up waving around a the actual test capsule ? 

A photo of a negative test. 

So yes, in theory, it could be anyone’s test that is shown if you really wanted to go

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Dear lord...   Talk about health theatre.... 

bear in mind I don't actually know, but that's the only way I can think it would work, short of, as you say, waving the test around.

Health theatre, that describes most of my job at the moment. Pure theatre

6 minutes ago, JB15 said:

A photo of a negative test. 

So yes, in theory, it could be anyone’s test that is shown if you really wanted to go

That seems very open to dodgy activity, wouldn’t it be better to setup an online system to log result via your NHS ID?

Just now, Barry Fish said:

What is your job out of interest ?  Only if you don't mind saying.

I work in a big youth hostel with a busy bar/cafe. 

So all the hassle that regular hospitality has but multiplied by the fact that so much to do with hostels is shared/communal. We don't have shared dorms at the moment obviously (although if we did, we'd probably fill them. People keep asking for them) it's all private rooms, but most of those rooms sharing facilities. 

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Your profitability must be on the floor operating like that 😞   is it even worth opening ? 

We're doing OK on the accommodation side of things, mostly by charging what I think is a lot of money for what we are offering at the moment (oh you want a shower do you, well you'll have to book a time slot for that, eg) but of course, still much cheaper than all the other options in the area. The F&B side, nope. But we have to have it to feed our residents at least. But at our prices, full table service and fewer tables. No chance of making money.

Is it worth opening? Well any hostel staff, including managers would say no. But people who get paid a lot more than us so must know better would disagree. The initial P&L report for May would so far back us up

Can’t even look at this thread at the moment. This is all getting too familiar.

Starting to feel like we are destined for another lockdown in the winter, especially if this is all it takes to delay reopening by nearly a month.

Other countries aren’t bothering with shit like this. We can’t eliminate this virus. People who are vulnerable won’t go away in another month. We’ve done all we can to offer a level of basic protection for those who need it. We have heaps of medicine, research and vaccines on the flu and still people who receive the flu jab die from the flu. It’s a fact of life that there are people in the world who are very vulnerable.

I hate the fact that I have to resort to comparisons of the flu as it makes me sound like one of these bloody right wingers, but this extension to lifting restrictions makes no sense. Why? Because I doubt things are going to ever get any better than this. Has there been a day in history where we’ve had less than 20 deaths for the flu? No. So why would there be for COVID?

We aren’t EVER going to reach a point where this virus isn’t circulating and people aren’t dying from it.

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Sounds really challenging.

Whatever peoples view points on unlocking etc some of the comments here about working to the June 21st as a date show a real lack of business understanding in some of the posters.  They don't realise that you can't turn a profit with the current restrictions and if there is going to be a unlocking on the 21st then you need to have your supply chain, staff etc all in place and ready.  Business had no choice but to plan for the 21st and moving the date is now a major issue for a lot of business.

A "few more weeks" isn't a little thing at all.  

It is. Made even more so by the fact we are working our arses off, (including all the new seasonal staff who, thank fuck, have been really good. Not always been the case in the past) getting grief for things beyond our control, and at the end of it all, not actually making any money.

Yeah, we are big enough and previously successful enough (and have a supportive bank) and I guess still have enough good will with our members/customers to ride this out. It's not helping obviously but we'll be fine. Other places, even in somewhere as busy as the Lake District just wont

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Can’t even look at this thread at the moment. This is all getting too familiar.

Starting to feel like we are destined for another lockdown in the winter, especially if this is all it takes to delay reopening by nearly a month.

Other countries aren’t bothering with shit like this. We can’t eliminate this virus. People who are vulnerable won’t go away in another month. We’ve done all we can to offer a level of basic protection for those who need it. We have heaps of medicine, research and vaccines on the flu and still people who receive the flu jab die from the flu. It’s a fact of life that there are people in the world who are very vulnerable.

I hate the fact that I have to resort to comparisons of the flu as it makes me sound like one of these bloody right wingers, but this extension to lifting restrictions makes no sense. Why? Because I doubt things are going to ever get any better than this. Has there been a day in history where we’ve had less than 20 deaths for the flu? No. So why would there be for COVID?

We aren’t EVER going to reach a point where this virus isn’t circulating and people aren’t dying from it.

This thread does seem to have a similar vibe to it currently as the weather one, on a year that it slowly dawns on us it's going to shit it down.

38 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I really don’t think that’ll happen, it’ll just be once we have a certain amount fully vaccinated. Johnson won’t want to keep this going any longer than he really has too. 

I would've agreed with that previously. However here we are with everyone that has a statistically relevant chance of dying from covid fully vaccinated and yet we're still not lifting restrictions. Not sure how much lower the bar needs to go. 

Has anyone actually taken a look at the indie sage meetings they hold and the comments below them?

They are showing stable graphs with cases stabilising and calling it a third wave. The audience here just seems incredibly terrified of literally anything. Now that there isn’t mass deaths with the virus they’ve quickly shifted their attention to get people scared of “long Covid”.

This is what I find annoying, these lot don’t want to acknowledge any progress. It’s like they want this virus to remain ‘bad’.