When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

32 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

People aren’t ‘pro lockdown’ they just want us to get this thing finished once and for all. Especially now we know how important 2 doses of the vaccines are.

Also the goalposts haven’t been moved they have always said that x date is the earliest possible date, they had delays built into the roadmap for this very reason. 

Most of the posters on here are trying to have a pretty level headed discussion about things for the most part.

Then there are probably 2 or 3 others that don't seem to be able to do anything other that post emotive slogans and sound bites with absolutely zero substance. 

7 minutes ago, Homer said:

Starting to feel optimistic about getting our Euros finals tickets back. Broadcasting a full Wembley for both semis and the final must be a huge tempter for our populist government.

The final is on the 11th July, it won't be full.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Clever maths man on Twitter with thread on vaccine efficacy from latest PHE data

Those first 2 stats are reassuring, but the last one is quite concerning. 29% of the people dying are fully vaccinated.

If only 6% of the cases are fully vaccinated, but 29% of the deaths are fully vaccinated does that mean the vaccine is good at preventing people catching Covid, but if you do manage to catch it despite having the vaccine then your fucked? Or am I misinterpreting these figures?

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

No. Listen to what you are saying. It's open land allowing 90k people. How do they self distance 90k?, living in a dream world. 

Lol. They don't. Just as they don't at the football. In theory it's much easier to distance in the open compared to an enclosed stadium. 

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

The sports events are only going to have 22k out of 90k in Wembley for example. It's a quarter, meaning 2 seats space between everyone. So they aren't justifying no social distancing. It's in place.

For the games in Scotland people have been given an arrival time so they can stagger entry. Seen some people complaining they've been asked to turn up 2 hours before the game in a stadium where there is no food or drink allowed.

Not sure if they're doing staggered exits. Seems pointless doing staggered entry if it's a free for all on the way out, but if you asked people to stay 2 hours after full time for an evening kick off they'd be getting out at midnight & all the public transport will be closed

9 minutes ago, Kusy said:

I am rather excited how it will work here, but its definitely better than having no big events at all - but also vaccine passports seem to be a complicated thing which will take time to introduce (our government still has some problems with that - there is one for the tested and recovered but not one for the vaccinated yet) and also its a highly discussed moral question between vaccinated and unvaccinated people. 

5 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

Those first 2 stats are reassuring, but the last one is quite concerning. 29% of the people dying are fully vaccinated.

If only 6% of the cases are fully vaccinated, but 29% of the deaths are fully vaccinated does that mean the vaccine is good at preventing people catching Covid, but if you do manage to catch it despite having the vaccine then your fucked? Or am I misinterpreting these figures?

Well, if you catch it you have a 70% chance of being ok. 

And we know that only 6% of fully vaxed got covid. 

1 minute ago, Hannibal Schmitt said:

I am rather excited how it will work here, but its definitely better than having no big events at all - but also vaccine passports seem to be a complicated thing which will take time to introduce (our government still has some problems with that - there is one for the tested and recovered but not one for the vaccinated yet) and also its a highly discussed moral question between vaccinated and unvaccinated people. 

I'm starting to side less with the anti vaxxers on this 'moral dilemna'.

All choices have consequences. Nobody should be forced to get vaccinated, but then private companies have no obligation to let them into events either. 

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Going to that little mini festival type thing in Manchester again today...where you have to book a table and just stay there and they bring food and drinks to your table. New normal, bit shite.

I'm going to see Colonel Mustard & the Dijon 5 at the fanzone in Glasgow for Euro 2020. Same deal sit at a table & can order food and drink to be brought to you.

Not sure what friends to invite as worry the setup will encourage everyone to talk over the band. Going by pictures there are loads of very spaced out picnic tables so not sure if you get a table at the back you'll be able to hear much anyhow.

Maybe I'm being too pessimistic, good to have something to look forward to that's unlikely to be cancelled

16 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Thing is, most of the population aren't due to be fully vaccinated until the end of August - so i fail to see how much difference this makes for summer.

Winter will be fine. 

Latitude are going to either ask for proof of vaccination or a negative test upon entry like the football tomorrow so I think it'll be a form of passport as opposed to only letting those vaccinated in 

28 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Cricket was 18,000  

So less than 22k

22 minutes ago, Homer said:

It will be if they drop (some) restrictions in Monday's announcement.

They won't 

18 minutes ago, Rex2 said:

Lol. They don't. Just as they don't at the football. In theory it's much easier to distance in the open compared to an enclosed stadium. 

You don't get it. Stadium has seats, festival has fans crushed in and meshing to bands etc they've paid for. It's fairly simple

46 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I don’t mean to sound callous when I say those things above, I really get why some will be upset over a delay. It might not effect me emotionally but for others it will impact them through cancelled events or through mental health reasons. Which is also why I think we need to try to nail this now. 

Yup agreed. People think I'm looking badly on it but I also have events. But I'd rather just get it right then we can all enjoy.

20 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

For the games in Scotland people have been given an arrival time so they can stagger entry. Seen some people complaining they've been asked to turn up 2 hours before the game in a stadium where there is no food or drink allowed.

Not sure if they're doing staggered exits. Seems pointless doing staggered entry if it's a free for all on the way out, but if you asked people to stay 2 hours after full time for an evening kick off they'd be getting out at midnight & all the public transport will be closed

I went to the Wales game last week in Cardiff and the staggered entry times worked well. Much less congestion getting in.They were selling food and drink though,including extra bars in the car park, which definitely helped.

So much so I reckon it should be kept after the pandemic is over, much better than the usual scramble to get in just before kickoff after having an extra pint in the pub.

34 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

In all seriousness that is something Brois could do on Monday.  Remove all restrictions outdoors would be balanced considering the lack of evidence for outside spread.

Completely agree. 

Problem is a) (genuine issue) travel to and from outdoor venues, especially in cities such as London, Manchester etc where public transport is key and b) (stupid issue) people will moan about optics but for me they are wrong with that

15 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

So at Edgbaston how did people prove a negative test ?

Was it lateral flow ?

Yep, they had to provide evidence of a negative lateral flow. I had tickets but sadly couldn’t go. Was gutted especially now other days of cricket will probably be limited now

21 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I hope little Rishi gets his chequebook out to cover those who are going to lose money from the extension of the last phase of lockdown.

I wonder when/if they announce the delay on Monday if we’ll see Rishi at all…? 🤔

48 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

The final is on the 11th July, it won't be full.

Very good chance they make it a “test event” to get it full 

46 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Thing is, most of the population aren't due to be fully vaccinated until the end of August - so i fail to see how much difference this makes for summer.

Winter will be fine. 

“Vaccine passports” actually mean covid passports though. You can use them now.

45 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

This is some very ropey maths.

Remember that JCVI groups 1-9 (almost all fully vaccinated) would usually provide us with 99 deaths for every 1 death outwith these groups.

This means that, given we’ve had 30 deaths outwith the fully vaccinated, we should have had 2,970 deaths of people in the vulnerable groups. But we haven’t. We’ve only had 12.

(2970-12)/2970 = 99.6% efficacy against death

• Upvote 1

I've been saying that Johnson can't do a fixed delay, but just been reading that maybe he will to assuage angry backbench MPs. If that's the case maybe 4 weeks is more likely than 2. There is a risk that Johnson can't hold to that date, but hopefully as more people are vaccinated the risks will diminish sufficiently.