When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, MrBarry465 said:

Sorry mate but this sort of nonsense thinking "don't trust experts" needs to be stamped out of society. It's illogical and leans into conspiracy theory sort of stuff. Scientists and experts are the EXACT type of people we should be listening to. Politicians, fair enough - but not believing an expert in a field just because they don't follow your own personal narrative is just stupid.

At this point you literally have no logical reason for going against them other than "because I want to".

"Shut up and do as you're told" - exactly the society we now live in 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

"Shut up and do as you're told" - exactly the society we now live in 

Not really though is it?

We've come through a pandemic and the authorities have tried to do what they could to control it. 

And yes I would prefer to live in a society where we listened to intelligent people and followed good solid scientific advice, rather than running around like a bunch of spastic monkeys.

Edited by MrBarry465
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

someone furiously backpedalling

Not really.

She's probably just realised there are a lot of nutjob clowns who lack any critical thinking skills and totally went overboard on what she was saying and she's now had to spell it out for them.

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

And shitty little England and tory land is fucking brilliant right?

No it's not. But last time I checked there is a broader spectrum of countries than the US and GB right>? 

But pudding the USA on a pedestal because they aren't wearing masks is pretty inane. They've had a borderline psycopath running the country for the previous 4 years, lets put things into perspective. 

Edited by MrBarry465

9 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm having a totally different read on this "headache" thing. It's not a headache rather than needing to go ona be ventilator and nearly dying. It's a headache instead of a persistent cough, raised temperature + loss of smell. It's nothing to do with severity, it's just how it most commonly presents now.

If you get seriously ill, you'll have other symptoms. Remember, most cases have always been mild. The fact that a headache is now the most common symptom says nothing about the overall severity.

We had the Kent favour back in late Jan (my wife picked it up in the nursery she works at) and that started with a massive headache and general knackeredness and progressed to kick our collective arses for a good few weeks. We didnt even think Covid until it had spread to all our family members because there was no cough or breathlessness at the start.  PHE were working with the nursery as it had to close and they stated at the time that headache was a common starting symptom.

23 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Not really though is it?

We've come through a pandemic and the authorities have tried to do what they could to control it. 

And yes I would prefer to live in a society where we listened to intelligent people and followed good solid scientific advice, rather than running around like a bunch of spastic monkeys.

But different scientists have different views. Do we only need to listen to the ones the politicians choose?

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

But different scientists have different views. Do we only need to listen to the ones the politicians choose?

No, and the scientists talking to the politicians will have different views...but usually a consensus forms, and then someone has to make a decision looking at all the factors...economic, behavioural and social stuff etc etc.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Any delay will be curtains for my kid's end of school prom thing which was supposed to be on later this month. Sad really, but what can you do. They'll probably all go to the park have more fun anyway...

My eldest daughter lost her prom last year, leaving day and also a school trip to Iceland. She did get her GCSE's for "free" so every cloud eh ?

I have missed things but generally will get them back if not the time. Feel sorry for the young who have missed out. Cant imagine having 18 months stripped out of my prime clubbing years in the 90's. Not that I remember much of them ha ha but I know I was there.

4 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Globally, nearly every country has taken the same approach to the pandemic. 

There's always going to be some scientists who have different views and they should be reviewed. But if the broad consensus remains the same - listening to a few opposing views isn't really that helpful. One such example is Sunetra Gupta who has been a critic of the lockdowns. But if you then dive a little deeper into her back story, she has some pretty 'odd' views on things....

2 minutes ago, faymondo said:

My eldest daughter lost her prom last year, leaving day and also a school trip to Iceland. She did get her GCSE's for "free" so every cloud eh ?

I have missed things but generally will get them back if not the time. Feel sorry for the young who have missed out. Cant imagine having 18 months stripped out of my prime clubbing years in the 90's. Not that I remember much of them ha ha but I know I was there.

Yeah, my kid was about to go on a skiing trip with school end of March last year, the privileged little shit, but that got canned. But I remember the day they closed her school because of covid and it was the happiest I had seen her for a long time.

2 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Why are we calling it freedom day? It’s not like we’re locked up in our houses now and unable to do anything. Stupid tabloids. 

Boris likes to think of himself as a great war time Churchillian like politician. he is doing anything he can to be that way  

4 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

Boris likes to think of himself as a great war time Churchillian like politician. he is doing anything he can to be that way  

If he really wants to make a big deal of it then he should let everyone have the day off work. 

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

No, and the scientists talking to the politicians will have different views...but usually a consensus forms, and then someone has to make a decision looking at all the factors...economic, behavioural and social stuff etc etc.

Did the government in the UK ever publish the criteria that would need to be met to facilitate an end to restrictions? 'We'd need to see X number of cases' - that kind of thing. That would surely end most speculation and incentivise people to work together to achieve the results needed. They did that here last year and it worked well.

8 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Did the government in the UK ever publish the criteria that would need to be met to facilitate an end to restrictions? 'We'd need to see X number of cases' - that kind of thing. That would surely end most speculation and incentivise people to work together to achieve the results needed. They did that here last year and it worked well.

Of course not - Boris is going to make the decision on his own on Sunday night. Then cabinet might get a large report 10 minutes before they're due to discuss it. Just like a true democracy

Edited by efcfanwirral