When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

From speaking to friends who tested positive in both the first and second wave, there are all kinds of random symptoms that you can get outwith the major ones. I know of a couple of people who were coughing up phlegm and had the shits. Most others had a drier cough and lost their sense of taste and smell. The latter in particular tended to hang around for a few weeks/months. 

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

From speaking to friends who tested positive in both the first and second wave, there are all kinds of random symptoms that you can get outwith the major ones. I know of a couple of people who were coughing up phlegm and had the shits. Most others had a drier cough and lost their sense of taste and smell. The latter in particular tended to hang around for a few weeks/months. 

Everyone I knew had muscle aches, none of them had a cough. My girlfriend lost her taste but not smell, my brother had nothing. Mad. 

4 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Everyone I knew had muscle aches, none of them had a cough. My girlfriend lost her taste but not smell, my brother had nothing. Mad. 

Also I should point out that I probably know 12-15 people who’ve had it in their late twenties or early thirties, and every single one of then compared it to a big standard flu or tonsillitis. I know a couple of people in their 50’s who were borderline for being admitted to hospital but managed to tough it out at home.

Feels like 40-something is the tipping point for when it actually gets serious.

11 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Also I should point out that I probably know 12-15 people who’ve had it in their late twenties or early thirties, and every single one of then compared it to a big standard flu or tonsillitis. I know a couple of people in their 50’s who were borderline for being admitted to hospital but managed to tough it out at home.

Feels like 40-something is the tipping point for when it actually gets serious.

All of my friendship group, including my brother who I live with, except me had it - 8/9 26 year olds. In hindsight I’d be very surprised if I didn’t have it asymptomatically as I was with them a day before they all started feeling a bit dodgy and then tested positive. My mum also had it - she is 54, and she was only experiencing muscle fatigue etc. thankfully, even though she is quite a heavy smoker. 

3 minutes ago, sisco said:

I has Covid in December and my smell and taste still aren’t right.  Anyone else has that?

I had it in January and only lost both of those for a few days.

Possibly not covid related but since I’ve had it I’ve grown a massive dislike of roast dinners and gravy 😂

Gutting as I used to love both!

Don't trust the experts and govt. Constantly moving the goalposts. However if its a time limited extension by 2 weeks or so, that'll probably be OK. Not 'an extension and then we will let you know'. Either it's to get more vaccinations done or it isn't 

6 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Don't trust the experts and govt. Constantly moving the goalposts. However if its a time limited extension by 2 weeks or so, that'll probably be OK. Not 'an extension and then we will let you know'. Either it's to get more vaccinations done or it isn't 

Sorry mate but this sort of nonsense thinking "don't trust experts" needs to be stamped out of society. It's illogical and leans into conspiracy theory sort of stuff. Scientists and experts are the EXACT type of people we should be listening to. Politicians, fair enough - but not believing an expert in a field just because they don't follow your own personal narrative is just stupid.

At this point you literally have no logical reason for going against them other than "because I want to".

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

That's my fear.  The talk is 4 weeks to look at the data which is about as long and as open ended as can be.  Its bollocks at this stage for us to extend on such vague terms and for four weeks when businesses are in so much trouble.

IT just annoys me so much when they say 'its only a few weeks'. They downplay the mental impact of lockdown restrictions all the bloody time.

These restrictions should be a last resort, not Plan A. Get a few more million jabs in if necessary for a couple of other weeks and then reopen. Any other reason to extend is unacceptable. 

10 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Sorry mate but this sort of nonsense thinking "don't trust experts" needs to be stamped out of society. It's illogical and leans into conspiracy theory sort of stuff. Scientists and experts are the EXACT type of people we should be listening to. Politicians, fair enough - but not believing an expert in a field just because they don't follow your own personal narrative is just stupid.

At this point you literally have no logical reason for going against them other than "because I want to".

Well then they shouldnt move the goalposts so much. As more and more peope get double jabbed, theyll be a lot less willing to go along with public health stasi style measures

7 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Well then they shouldnt move the goalposts so much. As more and more peope get double jabbed, theyll be a lot less willing to go along with public health stasi style measures

The 'goal posts' really haven't been moved much this year, but if they need to get moved it's because the situation is evolving rapidly and we need to adapt to ensure we don't put ourselves in a bad situation. That's why I've said getting caught up on and obsessed with dates is stupid, it's not a linear situation.

People have peddle the 'society won't put up with it for much longer' line for a while now. But last time I checked the majority of people are sympathetic to the situation and adapting.

Edited by MrBarry465
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, zahidf said:

IT just annoys me so much when they say 'its only a few weeks'. They downplay the mental impact of lockdown restrictions all the bloody time.

These restrictions should be a last resort, not Plan A. Get a few more million jabs in if necessary for a couple of other weeks and then reopen. Any other reason to extend is unacceptable. 

I agree lockdown restrictions should be the absolute last resort and having to enact them especially in several occasions is a failure of leadership/government.

They always said, all along, that the June 21st date was the EARLIEST date, and that it would depend on a number of key factors, one of which was the emergence of new variants. They are doing literally exactly what they said they would do - the goalposts aren’t moving at all, the situation is. Lots of what they’ve done through this pandemic has been a shambles but I’m really struggling to see how they can be accused of changing the narrative on this one.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Aeroplane Over the Sea said:

They always said, all along, that the June 21st date was the EARLIEST date, and that it would depend on a number of key factors, one of which was the emergence of new variants. They are doing literally exactly what they said they would do - the goalposts aren’t moving at all, the situation is. Lots of what they’ve done through this pandemic has been a shambles but I’m really struggling to see how they can be accused of changing the narrative on this one.

We were told by Matt Hancock to 'cry freedom' once the OVER 70s had been vaccinated, not everyone. The goalposts have moved so far now that they're on the bus home.

Theyve definitely moved the goalposts on the goals of the vaccine programme. the Vulnerable should have had their second doses by June 21st. 

24 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I agree lockdown restrictions should be the absolute last resort and having to enact them especially in several occasions is a failure of leadership/government.

Every country in the world must have bad leadership and governments then 🥱

14 minutes ago, zahidf said:

We were told by Matt Hancock to 'cry freedom' once the OVER 70s had been vaccinated, not everyone. The goalposts have moved so far now that they're on the bus home.

Theyve definitely moved the goalposts on the goals of the vaccine programme. the Vulnerable should have had their second doses by June 21st. 

Didn't they push out the vulnerables doses by several weeks if not more, to ensure better coverage of first jab?

Around half way through the program that was heralded as a masterstroke, but I reckon if they had their time again they would reevaluate. 

Can't blaim them though, again situation is evolving rapidly. 

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

A four week delay will wreck my daughters end of primary school celebration.  She will never have that again.  One small example of once in a lifetime events people are having taken away.

Add this to the school trips, residentials, over a year of schooling, missed birthday parties etc

She is tough but it's really starting to upset her now.

Look, stop being so selfish. Its ONLY a few weeks delay. Sit her down and explain how its all for the greater good probably. Maybe. Lets just upset people 'just in case', its no big deal apparently

Oh, look another boffin trying to keep us all in restrictions

'

Jim McManus, vice-president of the Association of Directors of Public Health, said a complete lifting of measures risked cases and hospitalisations rising further, potentially leading to more variants that could undermine the vaccine rollout.

He suggested that social distancing and wearing face masks should stay in place for the foreseeable future.'

Edited by zahidf