When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

9 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

In terms of what the next steps would be if let’s say it was an accidental leak for the Wuhan lab & following cover up, what would happen?

Sanctions on China?

I’m not clever enough to have a scooby on what the response would be internationally but I’m sure there are others on here who are.

I think sanctions could get very messy given the devastation the virus has caused globally, and would probably lead to an all out world war.
I think it would most probably be swept under the carpet even if it was found to have originated this way, with extreme safety measures and checks imposed on all labs going forward. 

I guess if it was a genuine accidental leak, there cannot be too much blame associated (other than a lack of safety precautions), because I’m sure labs like this all around the world are doing fantastic work with monitoring viruses. I guess it’s one of those ‘shit happens’ moments you have to accept is possible given the very nature of the work they carry out. I don’t think a ‘blame game’ would bring much good to the situation.

The cover ups on another hand are a very different story. 

Edited by st dan

3 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

In terms of what the next steps would be if let’s say it was an accidental leak for the Wuhan lab & following cover up, what would happen?

Sanctions on China?

I’m not clever enough to have a scooby on what the response would be internationally but I’m sure there are others on here who are.

Doubtful that china are the culprits. I expect foul play more from western goverments. 

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Wait what?

Those who are pro-lockdown don’t support either of these things going ahead, and anti-lockdowners support both. 

Say if a big UK festival went ahead next week through testing as a condition of entry, you know that those protesting in London every week that they still have to wear a mask to the boozer would be the first to complain 

2 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Or just you know, maybe think that logically it makes more sense to not have 99% of society all travelling into work at the same time? 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

Or people wfh !! 

So many people cannot wfh as I am sure you know and not everyone has a car as an alternative to public transport. 

Where I live, things aren't any where near as bust as London but even if at rush hour you reduced the people there by about 75% then I still don't think even then that you could socially distance.

Also I have no problem wfh a couple days a week but all 5 days is getting tiresome. Total lack of social interaction, if i lived alone I would be in a bad way. 

7 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Say if a big UK festival went ahead next week through testing as a condition of entry, you know that those protesting in London every week that they still have to wear a mask to the boozer would be the first to complain 

Well yeah but they’d not be complaining about the festival going ahead per se 

11 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Sanctions on China?

Will just become part of the whole cold war thing that seems to be building...

16 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Sanctions on China?

IMV probably wouldn't make a huge amount of difference to anything, sadly. China & the western economies are already finding plenty to disagree on. We probably have more to lose from China's retaliation to sanctions than they do from the sanctions themselves. It's a problem. 

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

Well yeah but they’d not be complaining about the festival going ahead per se 

By no means all of them but you guarantee there'd be some. I absolutely understand why they're protesting, we've all had enough, but I can definitely see some sections moaning that although mass events are back on because they're Covid-safe, others areas of the economy aren't because they're not yet safe

19 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Or just you know, maybe think that logically it makes more sense to not have 99% of society all travelling into work at the same time? 

I live in London and have commuted a few times recently. Quite a few of the trains are quite busy already and that’s with a large majority already working from home. TFL also has a massive hole in its budget given the lack of fares over the last year, so don’t really see how they could really afford to massively increase the service required to maintain social distancing without hiking up tax or fares.

1 minute ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

Think it may be time to revisit the AZ guidance. The risk/reward isn’t what it was 2 months ago.

Going by what Hancock said earlier about the Welsh vaccination roll out & the fact they went steaming ahead knowing if there were supply issues they could fall back and use the English supply (pinch of salt obviously required) could this effectively be Scotland asking for some of England's Pfizer?

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

Going by what Hancock said earlier about the Welsh vaccination roll out & the fact they went steaming ahead knowing if there were supply issues they could fall back and use the English supply (pinch of salt obviously required) could this effectively be Scotland asking for some of England's Pfizer?

It sounds like they shit themselves and didn't expect so many under 30s to book their Pfizer vaccines in all honesty

See that doesn't worry me all that much - the inpatients testing positive number is the number on top of yesterday. And that's always going to happen. 

It's balancing out OK between admissions and discharges. 

And these numbers are still tiny across the entire country. Could get worse but not guaranteed infinite growth.

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 minute ago, st dan said:

Reading that with my ‘glass half full’ head on, there are 42 less patients in hospital with Covid than there was yesterday? 

21st June …

image.gif.b93ace174094eedae5d51eb06e489a70.gif

42 more surely?

82 people were admitted and a further 84 who were already in hospital caught covid, so 166 people are in hospital with covid who weren’t yesterday.

However this is partially offset by 124 discharges. 

I don't see how 82 admissions is worrying, if it's being more than matched by discharges.

The anecdotal evidence from Bolton suggests that a decent number of their admissions in their recent "surge" were people who to be blunt didn't need to be in hospital, wouldn't have been admitted in the previous waves, and were discharged same day - this would suggest the same is happening nationwide (albeit still on very low numbers).

By comparison, on an average day in 2019, approximately 105 people would have gone to Hospital in England as a result of a Road Traffic Accident.

• Like 1