When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, Ozanne said:

Cases have always been low in the SW haven’t they, but as you say they are rising there too it just takes time. 

Not always but we seem to always lag behind … we were up around 400 at the peak of the second wave in feb this year … 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

Entering some local authorities in here and particularly focused on vaccine uptake, why is the argument for regional variation not stronger? For instance, Torbay where I live has a much, much lower case rate and shock horror a much higher vaccinated (single and double) population compared to Blackburn/Bolton. The previous argument re ‘well they’d just go to areas with no restrictions’ is fine, but if say they flocked to Torbay the level of vaccine protection would surely kick in and prevent any local waves?

39 minutes ago, zero000 said:

This is the kind of rhetoric which prompts all of the FAKE SAGE diatribes. It’s extremely unhelpful messaging and completely out of touch with the level of risk. 

Social distancing and masks “forever” is an absurd statement. She can’t see the wood from the trees.

Spot on. Michie is a member of the Communist Party BTW. When you see stuff like this on TV it’s harder to dismiss some of the conspiracy theorists. There are people who want to use this to bring about deep changes to society.

11 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I'm surprised at how low it's staying in Cumbria considering how close we are to the hotspots, and how many people from those areas will be visiting the Lakes right now. South Lakeland still only 18/100,000

ok so my explanation would be for several reasons ... and im guessing / sumising on a few .... you possibly have a larger proportion vaccinated ? so the virus / variant is struggling more to find a foothold quite as quickly in an area with lower population density too .... the cases might just report when they return to home locations rather than whilst they are on holiday ? 

2 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

Entering some local authorities in here and particularly focused on vaccine uptake, why is the argument for regional variation not stronger? For instance, Torbay where I live has a much, much lower case rate and shock horror a much higher vaccinated (single and double) population compared to Blackburn/Bolton. The previous argument re ‘well they’d just go to areas with no restrictions’ is fine, but if say they flocked to Torbay the level of vaccine protection would surely kick in and prevent any local waves?

That'd be fine if people in the vaccinated places saw it that way, but people are terrified of unvaccinated people so that wouldn't be allowed

I do think local lockdowns are needed in the north west to avoid longer ones later - this is mainly a problem up here and it is a bit unfair to keep the rest of the country under restrictions because of that. 

How it would be enforced I have no idea 

25 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Spot on. Michie is a member of the Communist Party BTW. When you see stuff like this on TV it’s harder to dismiss some of the conspiracy theorists. There are people who want to use this to bring about deep changes to society.

Straight out of Toby Young's arse.

1 hour ago, MrBarry465 said:

Here is he - wheres your hourly Daily Mail update.....

To be fair , Zahidf posts sources both with good and bad news. Others on this thread just post negative charts, as if they seem to get some joy from posting it to beat the positivity out of those on this thread who are hoping for a quicker reopening or to want to be proved right when the inevitable cases rise whenever we open up. Who cares who is right and wrong? We’re mostly just people posting on a festival site who really haven’t got a clue! When did trying to be positive become such a bad thing?

I think it’s that some quite like the new way of living which is completely understandable and completely fine. However even when stuff opens up they have a choice to maintain their current way of living for as long as they like, those who want stuff open don’t have a choice as their festivals, clubs etc are closed. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, tigger123 said:

To be fair , Zahidf posts sources both with good and bad news. Others on this thread just post negative charts, as if they seem to get some joy from posting it to beat the positivity out of those on this thread who are hoping for a quicker reopening or to want to be proved right when the inevitable cases rise whenever we open up. Who cares who is right and wrong? We’re mostly just people posting on a festival site who really haven’t got a clue! When did trying to be positive become such a bad thing?

I think it’s that some quite like the new way of living which is completely understandable and completely fine. However even when stuff opens up they have a choice to maintain their current way of living for as long as they like, those who want stuff open don’t have a choice as their festivals, clubs etc are closed. 

There's positive, and there's slagging and belittling any scientist who says it isn't all rosy.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

There's positive, and there's slagging and belittling any scientist who says it isn't all rosy.

My post was in reply to Mr Barry calling him out for posting another daily mail article, which is a 'source'. That is what I was referring to, not the 'slagging and belittling' of scientists that you refer to

56 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Very fair points 🙂 I wasn’t looking for a reaction at all, just an explanation. I’ve long been of the view that the majority of severe covid cases are self-inflicted for multiple different reason, and not taking the vaccine is only one of them. 

Unfortunately the concept of personal responsibility seems to be almost completely eroded. Why bother to change your lifestyle when you can sit on your sofa watching X Factor and wait for the big pharmaceutical companies to fix your problems. 

9 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

In regards to vaccinations, I live in BANES but was vaccinated at Ashton Gate which is in Bristol.

Therefore which local authority would I technically show in with regards to vaccination data on the dashboard?

I'd imagine its related to the NHS database so it'd be your home address. Just a guess but you can book anywhere so doubt they'd tie the figures to the centre as they have % uptake for areas in the same dashboards.Might be wrong but doesn't sound logical to be anything else

Edited by efcfanwirral

SAGE scientists. I love them. I hang on their every word. Professor Susan Mitchie says:

Vaccines are a really important part of the pandemic control but it is only one part. Test, trace and isolate system, border controls are really essential and the third thing is people's behaviour. That is the behaviour of social distancing, of when you're indoors, making sure there's good ventilation or if there's not, wearing face masks and hand and surface hygiene. We'll need to keep these going in the long term and that will be good not only for Covid but also to reduce other diseases.

Asked to clarify just she meant by 'long term' Michie paused, laughed and replied: 'I think forever to some extent because this isn't going to be the last pandemic

11 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Ive explained my lack of respect for fake SAGE and only have a go at anyone else when they say something particularly stupid. 

I enjoy @zahidf's posts tbh and everyone is entitled to their own view. Also Daily Mail while not being a good paper has defo has some worthwhile leaks etc before.

Also the irony of steviewevie commenting on the quality of anyone's posts is a mindblowing lack of self-awareness.

Edited by fraybentos1
  • Upvote 1