When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

11 minutes ago, kalifire said:

In a sense, it doesn’t matter who’s to blame (the government for not pointing out what should be an obvious caveat, or the people who didn’t grasp that). The wider issue is that if a short lockdown extension can prevent unnecessary harm, people should stop being so entitled and suck it up for a few more weeks. They’ll still get the majority of summer, ffs. 

I think there is a lot of understandable distrust that it will just be a few more weeks...that it will end up going on for longer than that...and they can't guarantee that it won't...but if after a few more weeks they say a few more weeks after that, and then a few more weeks after that..the anger is just going to build and build and it could get very messy.

Saying that, I really think the vaccines are going to do the biz this summer, we just possibly need to stop cases getting too high while we keep jabbing.

Just now, MrBarry465 said:

With the way the climate is going, you will be glad to know summer is likely extended into September/October. So not all doom and gloom 🙂

True that .. it was 22 degrees when I got married in mid October in 2018. And I payed the heavily reduced ‘winter’ price package too. Result! 

5 minutes ago, st dan said:

That’s why they need to say that a four week delay will lead to ‘x’ more people have their second vaccine, plus ‘y’ more younger people having their first dose, which means that we predict ‘xyz’ will happen to hospitalisations and deaths. 

Agreed. The comms has been woeful throughout. It’s all predicated on political grandstanding. The old Tory obsession with power at the expense of all else, population and health service be damned. 

7 minutes ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

Mrs Starbuck has a couple of friends like this, and it’s very frustrating. No real reasons, just more of a “I’ll do it when I get round to it after everyone else” kind of attitude.

Neither are getting an invite to our flat until they’re at least booked in. 

Are you and Mrs Starbucks vaccinated?

If so I’d VERY interested to understand your reasoning behind the bolded. 

21 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

A. Yes https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/oct/10/young-people-drinking-alcohol-study-england

B. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that festivals will change. I mean people rarely club these days, pre covid I am saying. It's not unreasonable to assume that Music Festivals might scale down.

People rarely club these days? Sorry, what? 

22 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

A. Yes https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/oct/10/young-people-drinking-alcohol-study-england

B. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that festivals will change. I mean people rarely club these days, pre covid I am saying. It's not unreasonable to assume that Music Festivals might scale down.

Thanks for providing your source. Interesting trend for sure.

On the festivals thing, what do you mean people “rarely club”. Plenty of 18-24 year olds are out clubbing every weekend, especially students. 

Even still, clubbing basically revolves around drinking (and pingers tbf) whereas festivals are for music fans with the optional extra of drinking. If a young music fan who regularly attends festivals decides to stop drinking, do you really think this will prevent them going to the festival at all? 

1 minute ago, MrBarry465 said:

This really isn't new news?

Nighclub revenue has been falling for quite some time and particularly when i was living in London - lots of closures.

If you mean that people are going to fancy Be at One type places as opposed to XOYO then you’re right. 

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

If you mean that people are going to fancy Be at One type places as opposed to XOYO then you’re right. 

I think a lot of nightclubs are going to have to reinvent themselves to remain profitable when things return to 'normal'.

For instance, live streaming of a club night / DJ set. Even when clubs open, i really think a lot of them should offer a paid version of the event you can watch at home, just to get that extra revenue coming in.

Same with Glastonbury, would people for instance - pay for a weekend pass to the festival to watch it all? I've tried to get tickets multiple times over the past few years and miss out, but would still love an all access pass to stream it. 

11 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Are you and Mrs Starbucks vaccinated?

If so I’d VERY interested to understand your reasoning behind the bolded. 

At this point? Mostly the principle. 
Every person who drags their heels when offered a jab without good reason is slowing us getting back to normal.

Edited by balthazarstarbuck
Nuance

1 minute ago, MrBarry465 said:

I think a lot of nightclubs are going to have to reinvent themselves to remain profitable when things return to 'normal'.

For instance, live streaming of a club night / DJ set. Even when clubs open, i really think a lot of them should offer a paid version of the event you can watch at home, just to get that extra revenue coming in.

Same with Glastonbury, would people for instance - pay for a weekend pass to the festival to watch it all? I've tried to get tickets multiple times over the past few years and miss out, but would still love an all access pass to stream it. 

Yeah I think we must live on different planets.

No idea why anyone would pay for watching a club night at home.

Likewise with Glasto, tonnes of it is on BBC anyway 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

At this point? Mostly the principle. 
Every person who drags their heels when offered a jab without good reason is slowing us getting back to normal.

Very valid point, and I’d fully encourage everyone to get vaccinated when you get the call for that exact reason.

I’m lucky enough that I’m yet to encounter an anti-vaxxer in my own family and friendship groups however if I did, I’m not going to avoid inviting them in to my flat given that I’m already vaccinated. I have enough trust in my vaccine to protect me without having to limit myself to only mingling with other vaccinated people. 

43 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Because they were foolish enough to expect people to understand that if variants unknown at that time cause differing statistics, that will change the equation.

They underestimated the number of people who’d say “bUT YoU sAiD jUnE 21sT!!1”

How has the equation changed? Please point to evidence that we should be concerned other than saying cases are rising. Very simple question which alot people won't answer 

10 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Yeah I think we must live on different planets.

No idea why anyone would pay for watching a club night at home.

Likewise with Glasto, tonnes of it is on BBC anyway 

Yeah we must do, because I am a massive music head and stream a lot of sets. But unfortuntlay I am based in Bristol and can't nip down to say an Amsterdam nightclub can I? I'm equally there to watch a music set as well as be in the club itself. That's literally like saying, 'why would you watch football at home when you can go to a game'......

Also dude, it's not an either or scenario is it? If you literally cannot get to a club but want to see the set, why would you limit people?

BBCs coverage of Glasto is shit these days. I'd happily pay to get proper coverage of any set I wanted.

Regardless, I think you will find a lot of clubs and places go down that route anyway.

Edited by MrBarry465

2 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

How has the equation changed? Please point to evidence that we should be concerned other than saying cases are rising. Very simple question which alot people won't answer 

variant more infectious, and single dose quite a lot less effective against it, and double dose a bit less effective.

7 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Very valid point, and I’d fully encourage everyone to get vaccinated when you get the call for that exact reason.

I’m lucky enough that I’m yet to encounter an anti-vaxxer in my own family and friendship groups however if I did, I’m not going to avoid inviting them in to my flat given that I’m already vaccinated. I have enough trust in my vaccine to protect me without having to limit myself to only mingling with other vaccinated people. 

We’ve got 3 jabs between us (4 tomorrow!)- so it’s not a fear about getting ill. It’s more the selfish “well I’m probably gonna be fine even if i get it” attitude, rather than acknowledging you might have wider obligations to society at large on this to prevent transmission to some poor bastard who falls through the cracks on this, especially when the third world is crying out for jabs.

Mrs S was also on one of the trials, so is taking it a bit personally when people refuse them once they’ve gone through medical approval.

Edited by balthazarstarbuck
Forgot something

Just now, balthazarstarbuck said:

We’ve got 3 jabs between us (4 tomorrow!)- so it’s not a fear about getting ill. It’s more the selfish “well I’m probably gonna be fine even if i get it” attitude, rather than acknowledging you might have wider obligations to society at large on this to prevent transmission to some poor bastard who falls through the cracks on this. 

I wasn't overly concerned about myself to be honest - I had COVID last year and while tough I pulled through. However, given some of the news on the new variant I aint taking chances and am going to get jabbed on Friday. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

variant more infectious, and single dose quite a lot less effective against it, and double dose a bit less effective.

99% of deaths are in groups 1 -9 which are double dosed - if you are young you are not at risk ( Number of people below 30  who have died from COVID is tiny- less than 0.02%)

4 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

99% of deaths are in groups 1 -9 which are double dosed - if you are young you are not at risk ( Number of people below 30  who have died from COVID is tiny- less than 0.02%)

If cases get high enough then get to unvaccinated could still get a lot of death.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

If cases get high enough then get to unvaccinated could still get a lot of death.

Absolutely. To quote everyone’s favourite corona centrist, a small percentage of a big number can still be quite a big number.

And that’s not doubting the vaccines. That’s saying something in 90s is not 100 percent.