When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, zahidf said:

What's the hospitalisation rate for that group? are they overwhelming the NHS?

Potentially stopping the virus from harming millions of young people, seems like a pretty sensible thing to do imo.

This obsession with 'not overhelming the NHS' needs to end, as the be all and end all. The general health of the population also comes into consideration.

We are pretty much open now, nobody is locked inside and pushing the final phase back  a few weeks to ensure better coverage is an entirely logical thing to do. 

1 minute ago, MrBarry465 said:

Potentially stopping the virus from harming millions of young people, seems like a pretty sensible thing to do imo.

This obsession with 'not overhelming the NHS' needs to end, as the be all and end all. The general health of the population also comes into consideration.

We are pretty much open now, nobody is locked inside and pushing the final phase back  a few weeks to ensure better coverage is an entirely logical thing to do. 

In a few weeks time there will still be 'vulnerable' people. Kids can't get the vaccine yet and some people will still have rejected it.

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

In a few weeks time there will still be 'vulnerable' people. Kids can't get the vaccine yet and some people will still have rejected it.

Yes but at the very least the entire adult population will have been 'offered' the vaccine by the end of July.

At that point you can accept the risks that come with reopening. 

But trying to cram it in before a lot of people have even had a chance, seems stupid to me and entirely pointless for the sake of a few weeks. 

31 minutes ago, Havors said:

I think we have been burnt before so they are going to be overly cautious this time. Even if that means overreacting and getting it wrong. 

yeah, think so too...plus even worse if have to go back to having restrictions later in the summer because relaxed too early.

3 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

*waves from the North West* 🙂

There’s very considerable local variation depending on where exactly you’re heading. Unless you’re unlucky and your family live in one of the worst hotspots then probably no more risk of catching or spreading it than if you were out & about in your home area. 

The highest risk is probably on the train & passing through stations. But assuming all masked up and distance as much as possible then it’s an acceptable risk IMO.

I’ve got similar concerns myself, mate’s birthday in London early July - chances are I will go but there’s enough going on to make you think twice for sure. 

Thank you! Yes I'm sure it will be fine as you say. They're not in a hotspot and we only plan to go to the local pub at the most. As you say the train journey will be the most risky bit and we will likely do lateral flows before and after as we have a few.

My other half has only just had his first jab and all, so just feeling a little cautious about it all. Not least because I've seen the guidance and rules on these things shift at short notice before and we are still a few days out...

21 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Am I for real? That I am slightly concerned? Yes. Didn't say I was cancelling, in fact we are not, but I don't really want to be responsible for spreading it.

100% for real about Webber too. He is a knob.

Does not compute in Baz Fish's little me mind.

19 minutes ago, zahidf said:

oh i support his stance. It would still be funny if he was arrested

I heard him on the radio this morning and did have some sympathy for what he was saying...he was saying that people are inside pubs talking/spitting in each other's faces, high streets and shops are busy, but theatres which could be safe have to remain closed (or partially closed).

20 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Mirror’s front page: Bride and Doom.

Remember, brides were promised a decision on 24 May. The government temporised. Now many have had to pay their final nonrefundable deposits and face cancelling their weddings with just days’ notice without any chance of rebooking this summer because everywhere is block booked. Thousands potentially affected.

WhaTS ThE HArm In A FeW WeeKS DElAy

something wrong with your keyboard?

13 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Yes but at the very least the entire adult population will have been 'offered' the vaccine by the end of July.

At that point you can accept the risks that come with reopening. 

But trying to cram it in before a lot of people have even had a chance, seems stupid to me and entirely pointless for the sake of a few weeks. 

What about the children? Are you going to put them to the slaughter once every adult has been offered a vaccine? 

15 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, think so too...plus even worse if have to go back to having restrictions later in the summer because relaxed too early.

Restrictions when everyones had 2 doses of a vaccine? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Festivals can't be looked at in the same way as football matches. They can space every other seat in stadiums but try telling 90k they can't jump and mosh for their favourite band.

How are they doing BigFoot. People just sit and watch bands from a table and order beers/food using an app?

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

So...to reach herd immunity with a more transmissable variant we need a higher percentage of population to have immunity, right?

Or is herd immunity impossible as some were saying on here not long ago?

We aren't at herd immunity yet?

A more transmissable variant just means it's a race to protect people against collateral damage vs the vaccine.

Make sense now? 

My mate, Stephen Bush, emailed this to me this morning.

Good morning. Will England’s unlocking have to be delayed? Hospital admissions are again rising thanks to the Delta variant, with the rise being driven by people in younger groups, most of whom have, of course, not yet been able to be vaccinated.  

While Michael Gove – usually one of the cabinet ministers keenest on lockdown – has told the HuffPo that he would bet money on the 21st June date going ahead as planned, the Guardian reports that Rishi Sunak – usually one of the cabinet ministers most likely to oppose lockdowns – would be willing to accept a delay of a fortnight or even a month.  

The underlying problem is that while the vaccine provides a high level of protection against the Delta variant, and while younger people are less at risk from Covid-19, we still don't know if, with our present level of vaccination, NHS capacity would withstand an uncontrolled outbreak. So it is touch-and-go whether England will be able to unlock on 21 June.  

But there are some things we can say definitively. The first is that we’re here because the British government has never had an effective strategy for central quarantine and isolation, whether at the border or in the United Kingdom. (A fun, but depressing game if you want to illustrate that is to look at any Covid hotspot and work out how much we have paid hotels to furlough staff rather than turning them over the to job of running central quarantine.) 

I’ve written before that one advantage Boris Johnson has is that people simply do not want to revisit the past year and are therefore inclined to give the government the benefit of the doubt. I think that’s still true. But the flip side of that is that I think most people also want the government to keep its end of the bargain up and to ensure that we do not have to revisit the past year. Failure could well have a political cost as well as a social and economic one.  

• Upvote 1