When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

6 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

The news is gonna be unbearable for the next few days isn't it? I know the situation is fluid but endless speculation and comments like this is never going to help anyone 

when I see these sort of stories I think June21st will happen...with maybe just masks and work from home kept for a bit longer...Boris will want to make it look like we got a massive victory against this dastardly virus and it's bastard little variants, Freedom day, street parties, bunting. Come on England. etc

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

when I see these sort of stories I think June21st will happen...with maybe just masks and work from home kept for a bit longer...Boris will want to make it look like we got a massive victory against this dastardly virus and it's bastard little variants, Freedom day, street parties, bunting. Come on England. etc

I do think it'll happen in some capacity, just after an alas filled press conference from Boris about why we can't go the whole way yet, I reckon they'll allow larger groups outside and maybe allow outdoor events to happen but with the use of passports like we'll see at the England/Croatia game 

26 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

The news is gonna be unbearable for the next few days isn't it? I know the situation is fluid but endless speculation and comments like this is never going to help anyone 

Surely vaccine uptake for first doses in the next few days won’t make any difference? It’ll be too soon for those people’s vaccines to have any impact on them if they pick up the virus. Seems like a further gentle prod to get the young vaccinated. 

18 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

There’s an England match the day after. He won’t be able to resist showing off to the rest of Europe how amazingly we’ve done - spinning it  as a ‘Brexit bonus’.

16 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

If it it takes 3 weeks from dose 1 to have protection then have we not already passed the window where vaccines done will have an impact directly before June 21st?

If there's a really good uptake in vaccines (and supply to match), then even though the numbers might not reflect the vaccines immediately, that would presumably be a variable to plug into the models.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

If there's a really good uptake in vaccines (and supply to match), then even though the numbers might not reflect the vaccines immediately, that would presumably be a variable to plug into the models.

matters whether single dose or both doses with this delta variant though...

Young people have been impacted far harsher this past year than anyone else. I feel for them so much. I’m 28 so I’m far from being an oldie but I really do feel for those younger than myself. They have had to give up/pause everything so that the elderly and vulnerable were better protected.

Every single person I know that is my age and younger (down to about 23, I don’t know many people younger than that) would crawl through broken glass to get the vaccine if it meant getting back to enjoying life fully. 

Edited by Andre91

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

From what I can gather young people seem to be well up for getting the vaccine too...quite incredible how well the vaccine rollout has gone in this country.

They honestly do and myself and many other young people have felt tincedibly patronised by how we've been treated through the rollout, especially when we were being encouraged to get it when we weren't even eligible 

27 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

If it it takes 3 weeks from dose 1 to have protection then have we not already passed the window where vaccines done will have an impact directly before June 21st?

I think I read somewhere its more like 2 weeks for the young, given their stronger immune systems, so given it's pretty much all young people getting the jab now, it's probably safe to assume 2 weeks (if I'm remembering correctly).

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

matters whether single dose or both doses with this delta variant though...

This is what I don’t get on two counts. 1) there has not been a massive upscaling in vaccine doses administered, particularly second doses, nor a big push except a brief Bolton surge and 2) would we not have been better served giving those vaccines used on first doses for 25+ on those older cohorts who have had a single dose and bringing forward their second dose, given age increases hospitalisation risk massively?

4 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

This is what I don’t get on two counts. 1) there has not been a massive upscaling in vaccine doses administered, particularly second doses, nor a big push except a brief Bolton surge and 2) would we not have been better served giving those vaccines used on first doses for 25+ on those older cohorts who have had a single dose and bringing forward their second dose, given age increases hospitalisation risk massively?

I was thinking something similar, would the 12 week gap that seemed a really good idea at the start now impact things at the end of the rollout. Maybe that’s why Israel haven’t seen the issues that we have. 

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I was thinking something similar, would the 12 week gap that seemed a really good idea at the start now impact things at the end of the rollout. Maybe that’s why Israel haven’t seen the issues that we have. 

I think the reason may have something to do with the fact 25+ age groups now won’t be having AZ, whereas a lot of the older cohorts requiring their second jabs will need AZ in the absence of any mix and match approval? Regarding Israel, also have to consider that they likely have an incredibly lower proportion of their population with ties to India.