When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

16 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Was Deano not the guy who told someone on here he'd wished they'd caught covid and died a couple weeks ago?

Was Deano also the person who was man enough to apologise for his mistake and aknowledge it ? It’s quite easy to become frustrated even on internet discussion because you only see words on a screen …. Same happened to me yesterday tbh … maybe worth cutting some slack instead of trying to hang people out to dry for an error 

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, so they can never win. There will always be arguments to the end of time about whether we should have locked down earlier or later or never...what restrictions were effective, and what were more damaging than effective......we'll never ever know for sure what is best method...but with the exponential rise of cases etc you always have to act early if you're going to...and we've seen what can happen if don't act early. Some people will always argue that lockdowns are more harmful than the virus itself, and in long term they may be right..or not.

They can never lose. They get to go on TV, make everything into a Government failure, scare people, avoid questions that have to be asked of actual Government policy and not trifle with any consequences. People hold up as fact that they’re absolutely right even when that’s unproven. If they’re wrong? So what.

I say this not directed in any specific direction.

Play the ball, not the man. There's lots of data out there and so resorting to name calling doesn't help anyone, regardless of whether they're on this forum or not. Yes, even the Zero COVID and Anti-Vax extremists.

1 minute ago, northernringo said:

Ah balls, I have a tripped booked to the west coast (Sligo/Galway) at the start of August and was hoping bars, etc would be nearly back to normal by then (I'll be coming from NI).

Not looking great! Although if worst comes to the worst and my partner and I can eat/drink indoors but just have to book, etc then it isn't the end of the world.

I think you should be ok to be honest. We have a couple of weeks booked in Spain at the start of August, but have decided to leave it again this year, so booked Kilkenny, Cork and Kerry for the first week of August. Indoor dining/drinking is already open in hotels for residents (like it was last summer and felt pretty safe, though there was feck all virus in the community then!). But the vaccination targets set here have always been aimed at getting the over 45s fully vaccinated and by end of July they are expected to be done, with two jabs, plus at least a week and the under 40s will mostly have a single dose by then too. I'd expect limited numbers indoors as it'll just be the first step out of this, so they won't go full tilt at it straight away, thus, it won't be like going to the pub in Galway normally is!, but slowly but surely getting there!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, incident said:

Play the ball, not the man. There's lots of data out there and so resorting to name calling doesn't help anyone, regardless of whether they're on this forum or not. Yes, even the Zero COVID and Anti-Vax extremists.

so I can't call Boris a c**t?

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Maybe it will take off in those countries...I think most likely why it's surging here at moment is the connection beween the sub continent and UK...and that there were religious holidays that people were possibly travelling for.

Already has.

“Eighteen months in, we’re all tired of this virus. It’s not done with us yet, and if we give it the opportunity to spread, it will.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/02/delta-variant-first-found-in-india-spreads-to-62-countries-hot-spots-form-in-asia-and-africa-who-says-.html

And now with a sting in the tail:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/indias-black-fungus-wards/

2 minutes ago, incident said:

Agreed. I regret getting frustrated with a certain someone and calling them stupid. I always tried to play the ball though other than the stupid comments... when the other man cant see the ball the frustration takes hold... 

5 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

They can never lose. They get to go on TV, make everything into a Government failure, scare people, avoid questions that have to be asked of actual Government policy and not trifle with any consequences. People hold up as fact that they’re absolutely right even when that’s unproven. If they’re wrong? So what.

That's not true though. If we go ahead with 21 June and there's no 4th wave because the vaccines hold up, they'll be proven wrong.

Just like how they said there would be a second and third wave in July and November - had we not locked down and there'd been no second or third wave, they'd have been proven wrong. And let's not kid ourselves: people were saying at that point that there would be no second or third wave. 

Because it happened, and because in hindsight it does seem so bloody obvious it was going to happen, it's easy to not give them credit for getting it right.

5 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Already has.

“Eighteen months in, we’re all tired of this virus. It’s not done with us yet, and if we give it the opportunity to spread, it will.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/02/delta-variant-first-found-in-india-spreads-to-62-countries-hot-spots-form-in-asia-and-africa-who-says-.html

And now with a sting in the tail:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/indias-black-fungus-wards/

I really wish people in developed countries would learn some humility. I get it's been tough, but pissing and moaning about pubs and clubs in nothing compared to the situation in other coutries.

I work for a tech company with a lot of off shore developers in India. Nearly every single one of them has been either seriously ill, or had family members who have died or are in hospital.

People here need some perspective. It's why I find it insulting when people say 'It OnLy KilLs OlD PeOpLe'.

Edited by MrBarry465

Just got my first jab! Moderna pumping through my body currently. 

Actually got interviewed by the BBC before I went in. Not sure what I was babbling on about, but I know I mentioned how trying to get a vaccine slot yesterday was like "desperately refreshing See trying to get Glastonbury tickets". Very on brand. 

• Upvote 1

No one seems to be panicking as much as the UK is in Europe

I think - like in the US - they're happy with a certain base level of Covid as they reopen their economies. They're not aiming for zero, they're asking "can we reopen our economies, and have a level of infections and hospitalisations we can deal with?"

And they're coming up with the answer "yes".

6 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I think - like in the US - they're happy with a certain base level of Covid as they reopen their economies. They're not aiming for zero, they're asking "can we reopen our economies, and have a level of infections and hospitalisations we can deal with?"

Last time I checked the economy in the UK was open?

Have you taken a walk down the high street recently or actually been to a pub? 

7 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Any of those countries planning to drop all restrictions at the end of the month though? Genuine question but I suspect they're not panicking about whether they should drop their restrictions in a few weeks because they're not intending to?

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, st dan said:

I guess whichever way you look at it, cases more or less doubling in a week is not good news. 

I was expecting much more than 6k seeing as there is meant to be exponential growth??

Are we seeing the numbers plateau already?? We had 6044 on 3rd June... and its not gone higher since? 

Tuesday is usually inflated because of the delay over the weekend? 

Wishful thinking? 

1 minute ago, august1 said:

When did the over 40's get their first jab? Heard they will be bringing forward those second ones forward from 8 weeks to 4  where possible. Which is probably pretty much now?

I got my text 27th April to book. My 2nd jab is booked for 2nd August - 12 weeks after my first. 

15 minutes ago, Zacko said:

Just got my first jab! Moderna pumping through my body currently. 

Actually got interviewed by the BBC before I went in. Not sure what I was babbling on about, but I know I mentioned how trying to get a vaccine slot yesterday was like "desperately refreshing See trying to get Glastonbury tickets". Very on brand. 

Haha you won't get on - mentioning a brand name 😂

3 minutes ago, Havors said:

I was expecting much more than 6k seeing as there is meant to be exponential growth??

Are we seeing the numbers plateau already?? We had 6044 on 3rd June... and its not gone higher since? 

Wishful thinking? 

Nope not wishful I don't think- weather will help. If it stays flat or goes down it at least only justifies a 2 week delay not a 4 week one? 

3 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Last time I checked the economy in the UK was open?

Have you taken a walk down the high street recently or actually been to a pub? 

True that the majority (although not all) businesses are open. However being open and being profitable are not the same thing. 

Normally pubs would be absolutely rammed at this time of year - summer with a major football tournament on. Money made during this time would then keep them afloat during the quieter periods.

Instead capacity is severely limited and they have to pay extra staff to provide table service. 

Being open is not the same as being sustainable. 

5 minutes ago, Havors said:

Wishful thinking? 

Tue is only inflated because of bank holidays … case numbers are usually quite accurate daily 

4 minutes ago, august1 said:

When did the over 40's get their first jab? Heard they will be bringing forward those second ones forward from 8 weeks to 4  where possible. Which is probably pretty much now?

First was 07/05 and the second one is 23/07