When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

9 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

I'm naturally a sarcastic bastard, but going to rein that in and speak plainly.

What you've been doing over the past god knows how many pages is to needle and taunt DeanoL.

You've deliberately misinterpreted what he's written to better serve your points.

You've picked up on minor errors as some sort of "gotcha" moment to prove that everything he says is wrong.

You've revelled in pointing out these mistakes and jeered at him with some of the other posters on here.

I've got no agenda here, but your posts have come across as crass, juvenile and in poor faith. 

I'm not going to speculate on why you've felt it necessary to act like this, but it's certainly not added much value to the thread.

Don't pretend now that it's DeanoL who's being unreasonable, you've deliberately provoked him for days now. Frankly I'm amazed he continued trying to engage for as long as he did. 

Was Deano not the guy who told someone on here he'd wished they'd caught covid and died a couple weeks ago?

1 hour ago, MEGABOWL said:

Yes but I expect the PM to be taking into account all sorts of advice. He’s got elected representatives at the other extreme end of the debate to Independent SAGE, he’s got SAGE and subsidiary bodies, the Treasury, the Cabinet and public opinion to a degree.

It’s hard to see the value of a BTEC version of SAGE that are free to dish out advice without any regard to the consequences or any of the restrictions on Media briefing that apply (or should apply) to official Government bodies. Combine that with the phenomenal amount of coverage they’re given by News sources/Social Media posters that are also anti-Government and the fearful, febrile emotions of some of the public and they have a relevance and impact much greater than they warrant.

That comes as a consequence of our freedom of speech surely … if we want to start restricting things I’m sure that would also make people nervous on here ? Scientists only allowed to speak out if selected for govt sage is also not a good look … those people are never going to vanish fortunately or unfortunately… and by the continuing debate on here they get an increased platform anyway … 

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

weren't EU countries having less of a gap between doses...so they will have more of the older/vulnerable population double dosed?

Yep, 4 weeks for Pfizer...most of our 70+ population had this vaccine and are double jabbed already. 50-69 got one of Pfizer (as we always had more of this) or AZ. Those that got Pfizer have had their second in most cases, those that got AZ were waiting for the 12 week gap (which has now been shortened to 8 weeks). Frontline healthcare staff that got AZ had a 6 week gap. Under 50s only got Pfizer or Moderna (Moderna mostly being used for pregnant people at the mo) and the 45-49 group are due their 2nd jab in the next couple of weeks...Pubs opened for outdoor drinking here yesterday, indoor won't be open til the end of July at the earliest (at which point they aim to have everyone over 40 double jabbed and everyone under 40 done with one dose at least). We're on pretty much the same timetable (vaccine-wise) as the rest of Europe (currently just over 50% done with one dose, 25% with two...but the predominant use of Pfizer means that full vaccination is reached a bit more quickly). J&J is available too if anyone wants it without a wait (if you are under 50, you have to consent...we haven't received much yet though, most of it is due to arrive in the next few weeks, but not as much as was promised). 

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

weren't EU countries having less of a gap between doses...so they will have more of the older/vulnerable population double dosed?

Can not speak for the others, but here only Biotech/Pfizer and Moderna are in use now. Probably the reason of a delay from end of June to somewhere to July. Pfizer gap is 6 weeks, Moderna 4 Weeks. AZ and J+J are not used anymore. The campaign started with old people and vulnerable and to this time the other two (AZ and J+J were also in use at this time because the shortage of vaccines). Now prioritization is age but heard today that like Germany has given that up and everyone who wants to have one can sign in there. But you are right, old and vulnerable were the first who were done with two shots and I think that the EU defended the slow vaccination rollout with this fact that the EU would overtake the UK in this matter. 

1 minute ago, jimmillen said:

I'm naturally a sarcastic bastard, but going to rein that in and speak plainly.

What you've been doing over the past god knows how many pages is to needle and taunt DeanoL.

You've deliberately misinterpreted what he's written to better serve your points.

You've picked up on minor errors as some sort of "gotcha" moment to prove that everything he says is wrong.

You've revelled in pointing out these mistakes and jeered at him with some of the other posters on here.

I've got no agenda here, but your posts have come across as crass, juvenile and in poor faith. 

I'm not going to speculate on why you've felt it necessary to act like this, but it's certainly not added much value to the thread.

Don't pretend now that it's DeanoL who's being unreasonable, you've deliberately provoked him for days now. Frankly I'm amazed he continued trying to engage for as long as he did. 

First lets get one thing straight... this is your opinion and you are entitled to it. I am also entitled to say its complete bollocks. 

Me becoming frustrated with him a couple of times and calling him stupid was regrettable and I even said on occasions sorry to sound rude. 

But he made massive errors and nonsense assumptions. I explained to him multiple times how, but he just could not understand.

You choosing to probably only read part of the story and think me calling someone stupid a couple of times is juvenile and crass but ignoring everything he said just tells me you don't really know what your talking about. 

If you think becoming frustrated with someone's inability to grasp certain simple things is being unreasonable and provoking then have at it. 

Anyway like I said feel free to ignore me when you have taken your head out of his ass. 

1 minute ago, Toilet Duck said:

Yep, 4 weeks for Pfizer...most of our 70+ population had this vaccine and are double jabbed already. 50-69 got one of Pfizer (as we always had more of this) or AZ. Those that got Pfizer have had their second in most cases, those that got AZ were waiting for the 12 week gap (which has now been shortened to 8 weeks). Frontline healthcare staff that got AZ had a 6 week gap. Under 50s only got Pfizer or Moderna (Moderna mostly being used for pregnant people at the mo) and the 45-49 group are due their 2nd jab in the next couple of weeks...Pubs opened for outdoor drinking here yesterday, indoor won't be open til the end of July at the earliest (at which point they aim to have everyone over 40 double jabbed and everyone under 40 done with one dose at least). We're on pretty much the same timetable (vaccine-wise) as the rest of Europe (currently just over 50% done with one dose, 25% with two...but the predominant use of Pfizer means that full vaccination is reached a bit more quickly). J&J is available too if anyone wants it without a wait (if you are under 50, you have to consent...we haven't received much yet though, most of it is due to arrive in the next few weeks, but not as much as was promised). 

Ah, thanks, you are the better one for this. But as I see there are even major differences between countries handling this in the EU itself.

36 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

You started with the personal attacks. Congrats on being the first person on this thread (or indeed the entirety of eFests) to enter my ignore list. I've been able to have conversations on here with some of the people most find entirely objectionable (sorry Barry) and we disagree a lot but there's always discussion there - sometimes it's frustrating, but I come away from those discussions feeling like I'm smarter for it - that there's been an interesting exchange of ideas - however wrong-headed those ideas might be.

But you're not interested in that. Literally all you've done the past couple of days is call me stupid and mock me. You're not willing to engage, you're not willing to argue a point. You're not willing to be a grown up. I put it behind me yesterday and figured I'd just ignore you, but you've started off again now with your pathetic attempts at bullying, and while I'm happy to have a slanging match (god knows, there's plenty to pick fault with) I don't really think it's fair on the other posters here to ruin the thread by doing that.

So yeah, congrats on winning my award for being the worst person on eFests and getting me to finally use the ignore button. I hope you're so very proud. 

Apologies to everyone else who has to put up with us arguing the past couple of days - it's frustrating as I try and keep discussion to be about actual topics and things, but it's hard to engage constructively when someone just posts to call you stupid. But it also feels wrong to ignore it. But won't happen any more as he'll be on ignore so you can have your thread back!

For what it’s worth I think the vast majority of your posts are well thought out and insightful. You seem to argue in good faith and generally are a good poster. Try not to let some of the others (not calling anyone specifically out) get to you as your posts are appreciated. 

7 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Was Deano not the guy who told someone on here he'd wished they'd caught covid and died a couple weeks ago?

Yup - and I didn't even feel the need to put that person on ignore because at least while he was insulting me, and hence me insulting him back, he was actually having an argument around the points as well which was quite interesting. 

But yeah I'm definitely a prick at times and will certainly give as good as, and often worse, than I get. Don't start a fight but always finish it and all that. 

But it's not fair on the people reading this to just have a slagging match. I do appreciate those being supportive, but he's on ignore now, it's done, let the thread move on to something more interesting. If he still doesn't drop it just stick him on ignore too. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Hannibal Schmitt said:

Ah, thanks, you are the better one for this. But as I see there are even major differences between countries handling this in the EU itself.

I think the deliveries come directly from the companies to each country, rather than getting centralised in a EU pool and then distributed, so there's small anomalies in when things arrive, but I think we are all broadly on the same timetable. There's also slight differences in how the vaccines are used...we've never taken AZ or J&J completely off the table and both are still being used...AZ mainly to finish off the 50-69s that got their first dose with it, J&J by consent for those that want one jab only and don't want to wait for Pfizer (I waited and got a Pfizer appointment 2 days later, so it wasn't really much of a hardship to wait!). 

35 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Genuinely sorry for my part in that!

Fair play for the acknowledgement … I like your posts … sometimes everyone gets a bit frustrated , the situation is shit for all … no winners in a pandemic unfortunately and sometimes the talk heads down that route too . 

11 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Ah balls, I have a tripped booked to the west coast (Sligo/Galway) at the start of August and was hoping bars, etc would be nearly back to normal by then (I'll be coming from NI).

Not looking great! Although if worst comes to the worst and my partner and I can eat/drink indoors but just have to book, etc then it isn't the end of the world.

43 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

is that a serious statement? The likes of Carl Henehan was on tv all the time last year and was even in downing st dolling out his herd immunity advice last autumn...but now he just gets to go on TalkRadio. Pagel's reputation has risen, because many have realised you can't just ignore this virus and it will go away...including Boris Johnson.

Yeah. Unless I’m very unlucky* I don’t see much anti-Lockdown or anti-Vaxx stuff on TV. The protests the other week got very little publicity, I haven’t seen Heneghan anywhere (barring the odd teeth grinding Retweet) in months. I assume they still have their own Twitter echo chambers but they certainly aren’t feeding into the I-Sage/Sky/Guardian/Pagel/Sridhar circle.

*used uncomfortably, as I don’t actually want to

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Maybe it will take off in those countries...I think most likely why it's surging here at moment is the connection beween the sub continent and UK...and that there were religious holidays that people were possibly travelling for.

Think this is pretty much it. History echoing through time once again.

3 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Yeah. Unless I’m very unlucky* I don’t see much anti-Lockdown or anti-Vaxx stuff on TV. The protests the other week got very little publicity, I haven’t seen Heneghan anywhere (barring the odd teeth grinding Retweet) in months. I assume they still have their own Twitter echo chambers but they certainly aren’t feeding into the I-Sage/Sky/Guardian/Pagel/Sridhar circle.

*used uncomfortably, as I don’t actually want to

yeah, well same as you don't get any flat earth or climate change deniers on TV. But they're all over the internet.