When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

I mean, there is a lot of stuff this government has got wrong, especially last autumn and winter, but also they have got things right...the furlough has mostly been a success, there hasn't been a massive increase in unemployment as some predicted, not yet anyway, the vaccine procurement and rollout, and for me I think the cautious releasing of restrictions over last few months has been about right...the indian variant proves that. Hopefully the inquiry won't be a massive blame game, but how lessons can be learnt for next time.

6 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Unlikely but not impossible.  There will certainly be a point at which the risk becomes so low that such action is of negligible impact...but the question is are we there now, and morally what is the right thing to do?

Given that it’s a very small risk and you’d either be passing it on to someone who isn’t vulnerable or an anti-vaxxer I would say you’re fine. 

23 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Does every post made in the thread have to throw shade at the government? The fact your chastising someone for this is bizarre.

I'm pissed off at a lot of things in the world but doesn't mean I have to mention these every time I'm talking about something connected to them!

We can all recognise the errors the government have made without going on about it 24/7.

Your back must be hurting with that massive chip you're carrying on your shoulder all the time.

same goes for blaming everything on Indie Sage or Pagel or any other scientist urging caution.

20 minutes ago, Havors said:

Some fuzzy logic there. He is vaccinated and at risk of catching the virus but others are only vulnerable if they haven't had the vaccine? Once they have had the vaccine they are safe but he isnt? 🙂 

If we use that logic we will be self isolating until the end of time.  

Come on, that's clearly not what was being argued. The point was that although you're safe after being vaccinated, you can still be an infection vector - just like young adults have been all along. That's not unreasonable

Memory Man thinks that the reduction in infection gained by being fully vaccinated makes the chance of being an infection vector sufficiently low to switch off contact tracing. Also a fairly reasonable position.

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Come on, that's clearly not what was being argued. The point was that although you're safe after being vaccinated, you can still be an infection vector - just like young adults have been all along. That's not unreasonable

Memory Man thinks that the reduction in infection gained by being fully vaccinated makes the chance of being an infection vector sufficiently low to switch off contact tracing. Also a fairly reasonable position.

We will always be a potential infection vector. Forever. 😄 

18 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

If Lockdown easing gets pushed back even a couple of weeks, surely that puts a line through festivals set for July?

I think it makes them highly unlikely yes. Would have to hope August is ok following any results from the Download pilot event. 

11 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

same goes for blaming everything on Indie Sage or Pagel or any other scientist urging caution.

Ironic that people are happy to throw barbs at 'science' and #scientists' when it's literally science that got us the fucking vaccine.

Here is a novel idea, how about people shut the fuck up for once and listen to the science/experts. That goes for a lot more than just the pandemic as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, MrBarry465 said:

Ironic that people are happy to throw barbs at 'science' and #scientists' when it's literally science that got us the fucking vaccine.

Here is a novel idea, how about people shut the fuck up for once and listen to the science/experts. That goes for a lot more than just the pandemic as well.

....which experts do we listen to? A lot of them have different opinions 😄  

1 minute ago, MrBarry465 said:

People are arguing against Fake Sage as they are now purely a political group acting under the guise of scientific data, just to throw shade at government, without actually weighing up other competing factors such as small business owner livelihoods. They are purely shouting ZERO COVID without considering the wider implications for society. There's plenty to blame the government for during this pandemic (a bloody damn long list), but there is plenty they have done right as well. At least there has been a general willingness to follow the guidance from Real Sage since they locked down for the third time. 

1 minute ago, Havors said:

Listen to them all...but if any of them say something we don't like don't just write them off as evil nerd boffin scum who should be ignored and belittled forever amen.

Except Carl Heneghan of course, just ignore that evil nerd boffin twat.

3 minutes ago, reflekting said:

People are arguing against Fake Sage as they are now purely a political group acting under the guise of scientific data, just to throw shade at government, without actually weighing up other competing factors such as small business owner livelihoods. They are purely shouting ZERO COVID without considering the wider implications for society. There's plenty to blame the government for during this pandemic (a bloody damn long list), but there is plenty they have done right as well. At least there has been a general willingness to follow the guidance from Real Sage since they locked down for the third time. 

This is their latest officla line..

https://www.independentsage.org/indie-sage-statement-on-the-uk-government-roadmap-for-ending-all-restrictions/

1 hour ago, parsonjack said:

But what about the chance of you, although vaccinated, picking up the virus and then unwittingly passing it on to others not vaccinated?  Is taking yourself out of the game really the right thing to do?

I dont know that it is but i know out of our group of 6 mates:

1 doesnt have the app anf never has

2 had contact tracing off

3 had it on and have now all turned it off

so youre at as much risk from anyone that doesnt have the app or has turned tracing off as those who get pinged and ignore it as potentially they could all be in the same boat but certain people are not allowing themselves to ever be pinged

the recent call to isolate was based on being at a fully outdoor event with the person sitting with their back to the nearest table which wasnt even close. 2 people went, one got pinged and one didnt? They worked from home that day. Doesnt make sense and app cannot account for indoor vs outdoor. Its off, and its staying off.

Steps were retraced and essentially the conclusion drawn was that it was nigh on impossible to have caught it. 

Going to lateral flow test for next few days and as long as negative, my life will go on.

i thankfully never see vulnerable people, if i did my attiutde would be different.

Edited by Memory Man

7 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Listen to the ones we already agree with, it seems. Not those Indie Sage pantomime villains. Boo!

Haha indeed. Everyone is a little guilty of this 🙂 

Ive always tried to listen to them all and try form my own opinion. Some of the indie sage stuff has worn me down now though 16 months on... the same as ive ignored a few crackpot "scientists" on twitter that have been saying covid was over for the past 12 months haha 

34 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

A nonsensical statement given the difference of opinions among ‘experts’ on almost any subject 

32 minutes ago, Havors said:

Use critical thinking skills, evaluate and make an informed decision. Don't base your decisions around 'BUT THE 21st OF JUNE!'

1 minute ago, MEGABOWL said:

A nonsensical statement given the difference of opinions among ‘experts’ on almost any subject 

Ahhhhh 'almost any subject'. Like climate change for instance? Where a very split 93% of them are in agreement....

31 minutes ago, reflekting said:

This absolutely hits the nail on the head. They behave like an opposition party, not a Scientific group. They can call for whatever they want no

matter how unrealistic or impractical and if the Government doesn’t/can’t  do it they have something to criticise.

Which is stupid as there’s plenty to criticise the Government for without making every single thing a point of failure. That’s when people stop listening.

2 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Ahhhhh 'almost any subject'. Like climate change for instance? Where a very split 93% of them are in agreement....

So there’s different opinions even on a subject like that, is what we’ve established there?

So ‘duh but listen to de experts’ doesn’t work?

22 minutes ago, Havors said:

Haha indeed. Everyone is a little guilty of this 🙂 

Ive always tried to listen to them all and try form my own opinion. Some of the indie sage stuff has worn me down now though 16 months on... the same as ive ignored a few crackpot "scientists" on twitter that have been saying covid was over for the past 12 months haha 

I had to have a similar cull last year but still get friends Retweeting Ivor Cummins and co. Trying to get rid of him and Pagel was like whack a mile until I just set up another Account that doesn’t follow any news/Covid feeds at all. I mean, it’s all still endless arguments about Games, football, music, comedy etc because it’s Twitter but at least not about Covid or Politics

2 minutes ago, Hutchmaster said:

Got my jab booked at Wimbledon's ground on Friday. If it's not Vinnie Jones smashing the needle in my arm while giving me a death stare, I'll be severely disappointed.

You’re gonna be gutted when it’s Dave Beasant

3 minutes ago, Hutchmaster said:

Got my jab booked at Wimbledon's ground on Friday. If it's not Vinnie Jones smashing the needle in my arm while giving me a death stare, I'll be severely disappointed.

I volunteered there the other day! Seemed pretty well run and smooth. I did have a sneaky look at the pitch.