When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, gazzared said:

I automatically got my jab brought forward by 2 weeks to today. I received a text from the NHS about 2 weeks ago saying that my appointment has been moved and have had reminders sent a few times. 👍

Cool! He is under 40 so I'm not sure if that will happen in his case but good to know they are on it with bringing stuff forward.

13 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

that shows cases on the rise but as always im taking hope where I can .... todays numbers don't increase from yesterdays crossing fingers for some kind of plateaux ... and yep 1 day wont be significant ... but maybe 🙂 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

that shows cases on the rise but as always im taking hope where I can .... todays numbers don't increase from yesterdays crossing fingers for some kind of plateaux ... and yep 1 day wont be significant ... but maybe 🙂 

We can but hope!

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

it's all about hospitalisations. Cases are bound to rise anyway...especially after June 21st..

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

it's all about hospitalisations. Cases are bound to rise anyway...especially after June 21st..

yep that too of course .... but higher cases will also translate to higher hospitalisations wether it be from those that haven't been jabbed .... those that haven't had it yet ... or for those whom it sadly doesnt work for .... and of course it wont be as bad as b4 because these vaccines are bloody good 🙂 and also Israel also managed to keep the cases under control as they released restrictions 

Edited by crazyfool1

4 hours ago, faymondo said:

I know a fella has an old mobile not smart phone. Apparently all tickets next year for season ticket holders need to be done via a smartphone for Liverpool FC. He's still not sure what he can do.

Buy a 30-50 quid smart phone? Argos have a few in that price range and while I'm sure they're pretty poor devices, that shouldn't matter if he's not doing anything fancy with them.

I understand that not everyone has or wants to take that leap, but ultimately it's going to be one of things (arguably, has been becoming so for a while) where holding out becomes too much of an inconvenience for a whole variety of reasons this just being the latest.

41 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

My mates knobhead wife is part of this clan and goes on all the marches. I find it quite contradictory that last year their point was old people have died because old people die, nothing to do with covid. Yet this year their point is old people have died because they've had the vaccine, nothing to do with old age. Bunch of knobheads anyway, the lot of them.

3 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

And the youngsters that haven’t had the jab  deserve the respect from me that they gave me ..

I'm not sure if you mean this or not, but I'm sure I've seen you (correctly) complain about youngsters at work not taking safety protocols seriously and not respecting distancing, mask wearing etc.

I'd argue that on the whole a large majority of youngsters who've not yet had a vaccine would happily reopen regardless - indeed if you talk to student types (as I unfortunately sometimes have to do) their primary motivation for getting it is so that they can start doing stuff again ahead of the fear of infection.

1 minute ago, incident said:

I'm not sure if you mean this or not, but I'm sure I've seen you (correctly) complain about youngsters at work not taking safety protocols seriously and not respecting distancing, mask wearing etc.

I'd argue that on the whole a large majority of youngsters who've not yet had a vaccine would happily reopen regardless - indeed if you talk to student types (as I unfortunately sometimes have to do) their primary motivation for getting it is so that they can start doing stuff again ahead of the fear of infection.

I complained about people not respecting safety protocols and that included youngsters .... just like it also included plenty of adults too ..... some respected it ... some didnt in both ages  .... I know of several who are nervous .... and im not saying its a majority by any means ... most as you say would be happy to party again ... we had a few cases amongst the youngsters that put a couple  in bed for a few weeks ... maybe its as a result of those ... not sure 

41 minutes ago, incident said:

Buy a 30-50 quid smart phone? Argos have a few in that price range and while I'm sure they're pretty poor devices, that shouldn't matter if he's not doing anything fancy with them.

I understand that not everyone has or wants to take that leap, but ultimately it's going to be one of things (arguably, has been becoming so for a while) where holding out becomes too much of an inconvenience for a whole variety of reasons this just being the latest.

Yeah I think he might have to go down that route. He just hates the things and what they have become. I can see his point. I would love to roll back to mobile phone times and not smart phone times with hindsight. I am just as bad as anybody on them now. 

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

they were always like this though...more relaxed about it...land of the free (and a lot of fuckin morons).

At what point though do we have to open to their way of doing things and move the country on? If we mollycoddle the anti-vaxxers too much we will never progress from where we are.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

At what point though do we have to open to their way of doing things and move the country on? If we mollycoddle the anti-vaxxers too much we will never progress from where we are.

oh, I don't know...I'm not sure it's about anti vaxers or mollycoddling...I think it's the fact we have an infectious variant and not everyone fully vaccinated yet.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, faymondo said:

Yeah I think he might have to go down that route. He just hates the things and what they have become. I can see his point. I would love to roll back to mobile phone times and not smart phone times with hindsight. I am just as bad as anybody on them now. 

hopefully we'll all have implants soon and we can order stuff by blinking or something.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

oh, I don't know...I'm not sure it's about anti vaxers or mollycoddling...I think it's the fact we have an infectious variant and not everyone fully vaccinated yet.

But the US has opened vaccinations to 18+ so do we replicate their approach when we reach that stage? Or not?

Just now, Matt42 said:

But the US has opened vaccinations to 18+ so do we replicate their approach when we reach that stage? Or not?

Yep of course … get them in the arms of those who want them … as long as it doesn’t slow the rollout or reduce uptake in those that remain and then take the final steps 

2 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Is that thumbnail real? Did Johnson literally just steal Biden’s campaign slogan? 

They’ve both been using it. Global mandate to take over the world bro

Edited by Matt42

13 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Check out Neuralink that Elon Musk is developing. I’m genuinely interested in seeing what it can do. 

This is a good overview - albeit from a few years back: https://waitbutwhy.com/2017/04/neuralink.html 

Very cool stuff.

Although I’ve never been too keen on the concept since reading an SF story - William Gibson I think? - where some poor guy gets a virus in his neural implant that displays adverts 24/7. Shoots himself shortly after…

2 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

This is a good overview - albeit from a few years back: https://waitbutwhy.com/2017/04/neuralink.html 

Very cool stuff.

Although I’ve never been too keen on the concept since reading an SF story - William Gibson I think? - where some poor guy gets a virus in his neural implant that displays adverts 24/7. Shoots himself shortly after…

It maybe cool...but at same time I think it's a fuckin terrible idea.

On 6/5/2021 at 10:21 AM, philipsteak said:

Now if there was a variant which only affected midges... 

We wouldn’t be able to go outside for weeks if all the midges started dropping out of the sky. Loch Lomond would burst its banks.