When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Euphoricape said:

I left my job in hospitality (mid cornwall) only a couple days ago, it has been horrendous since we reopened and several people I've worked with have also left. I can understand people being here on holiday not worrying and enjoying themselves but I've never known People to be so demanding. I feel for anyone still trapped in hospitality down here. I feel very lucky as I start a new job as a postman with Royal Mail next week and can't wait to start!

Congratulations. I really should do the same. Been doing this far too long

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, incident said:

Chris Hopson is literally quoted in the same article saying that the link is broken (and as a result, the hospital admissions that have happened in Bolton have been less demanding on the NHS).

His argument is that the NHS is backlogged - which I said I accept. But if that's the only real justification to delay (as it appears to be), then it's not anywhere near enough reason to take that decision.

well, if that is actually the case then we're probably good.

1 minute ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

The NHS is always busy, it isn't designed to have loads of surplus capacity nor should it. 

To be honest I’d be a bit worried if our NI contributions were getting spaffed on a major excess of doctors and nurses to sit around doing nothing. 

No deaths in Liverpool since the test events 5 weeks ago, 11 hospitalisations.

'I am getting sick of the constant attempts to explain away any bad news. I get the desire to be optimistic (honestly) but minimising delays action and ultimately makes things worse.'

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Why do so many people still not understand exponential growth?

I dont think thats the issue, with the talk that the link is broken from severe illness then in theory exponential growth is irrelevant as it will hit a wall and stop. 

I think people dont understand the real issue with increased cases is the increased chance of more bloody variants. We do want to keep cases down as much as possible but we need to find a balance. 

33 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

So have we.

Great is that the corona news seems more and more to vanish out of our newspapers. Even the indian variant seems to be forgotten here. All goes so well. And cases are very low (today 271). I really hope that there are no bad surprises or loopholes with reopening - as stated in the other thread festivals, sporting events and other things could go ahead from 1st July as approved by the government (at least for those who did not cancel because of the insurance issues), but attendance only with 3G and later probably with the green pass, outdoor masks will be gone during summer, indoor masks will probably remain. yesterday my girlfriend got her first jab, i brought her to the vaccination centre and met my old university professor dressed with straw hat and sunglasses and mask who got his second saying to me: „Vaccination is a must for everyone so that we can go on with our living“. 

2 minutes ago, Havors said:

I think people dont understand the real issue with increased cases is the increased chance of more bloody variants. We do want to keep cases down as much as possible but we need to find a balance. 

Heretic. Burn him!

I was getting told last week that variants were scariants and irrelevant.

A key point with NHS capacity is that one to ten patients in a ten patient designated Covid ward is one ward that has to be isolated, staff precautions taken and other unique measures implemented.

Eleven patients is two ten patient wards then removed from other use and so on. So the effects outweigh the specific numbers. 

4 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Heretic. Burn him!

I was getting told last week that variants were scariants and irrelevant.

A key point with NHS capacity is that one to ten patients in a ten patient designated Covid ward is one ward that has to be isolated, staff precautions taken and other unique measures implemented.

Eleven patients is two ten patient wards then removed from other use and so on. So the effects outweigh the specific numbers. 

Haha well mostly they are... but why would you invite the chance for that one in a billion variant to emerge and really fuck us over?

Im not sure the capacity thing works like that or they would have ran out of space in a matter of weeks. 

4 minutes ago, Havors said:

Haha well mostly they are... but why would you invite the chance for that one in a billion variant to emerge and really fuck us over?

Im not sure the capacity thing works like that or they would have ran out of space in a matter of weeks. 

No, I agree. The only answer is to reduce probability and vaccinate as may as possible worldwide. 

Covid wards and facilities are kept separate and isolated from other facilities and wards so it does work like that, and that is why Covid took precedence and other stuff was shunted aside. That is why they just about managed to keep within capacity. Covid patients are not in mixed wards with non Covid patient to prevent transfer.

Some very positive encouraging news from India as situations seems to be improving.
The megacities of Delhi and Mumbai, along with other regions, are now venturing to ease their plans for the first time. Markets and shopping centers open on Monday. However, shops with even house numbers should open on different days than those with odd numbers. In addition, the metro will be allowed to run again with half of its seat capacity. Offices could also reopen with half of their workforce (Standard).

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Havors said:

I dont think thats the issue, with the talk that the link is broken from severe illness then in theory exponential growth is irrelevant as it will hit a wall and stop. 

My point was that talking about any numbers as a snapshot without reference to any growth rates is missing the point as to why there is a concern.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Has it been completely overlooked? It's pretty well known that children are very rarely getting seriously ill with COVID. 

I mean the fact people in hospital with covid where often there for other reasons and not admitted because of covid. 

Anyway, the relationship between cases and severe illness hasn't been broken, it's been substantially changed, but not broken. 

I suspect we'll get to herd immunity through infection and vaccination before severe illness gets high enough, but I'm not claiming I don't understand what the concern is. Exponential growth in cases does still lead to exponential growth in illness, even case-illness ratio is very different

7 minutes ago, Copperface said:

No, I agree. The only answer is to reduce probability and vaccinate as may as possible worldwide. 

Covid wards and facilities are kept separate and isolated from other facilities and wards so it does work like that, and that is why Covid took precedence and other stuff was shunted aside. That is why they just about managed to keep within capacity. Covid patients are not in mixed wards with non Covid patient to prevent transfer.

So a covid ward could have someone with heart failure, someone with kidney failure, someone with x y and z on the same ward? 

I don’t see any point in waiting till the 14th, hospitality and events need to know now and before the May announcement he said businesses would be told well in advance 

I’m meant to go to a day festival in Sunderland on the 3rd July but I’m pretty sure that’s not happening 

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

He was talking about children, who have a very different relationship to the virus.

No the fact still remains. A lot of people tested positive in hospital where not actually there for covid. 

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Anyway, the relationship between cases and severe illness hasn't been broken, it's been substantially changed, but not broken. 

I suspect we'll get to herd immunity through infection and vaccination before severe illness gets high enough, but I'm not claiming I don't understand what the concern is. Exponential growth in cases does still lead to exponential growth in illness, even case-illness ratio is very different

The NHS Boss disagrees with you.