When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

A middle ground where outdoor gatherings/events are OK but indoor aren't would be a perfect compromise. Especially if transport has masks still, and we know the blossoms gig was fine 

I'm sure that's one option they could use, out of a number of different options.  It may still just be masks and wfh as previously mentioned..a lot of politcial as well as economic etc pressure on Johnson to go ahead with the roadmap on June21st;

Crikey this is gonna be close to the wire come 14th June, I'm gonna be really interested to see how the data looks at the time. If they don't fully complete 21st June I reckon there's a strong chance of them still loosening up a little more to appease backbenchers and the public where they possibly could 

Masks on public transport and WFH to continue from 21 June, from a purely selfish perspective, is absolutely ideal for me! Means I don't have to have the awkward conversation about changing to WFH permanently for a while yet!

21 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

how is it clear?

Cases have doubled/tripled in 2 weeks since it’s been allowed. Very much doubt it’s pubs/restaurants or anything else driving it. 

Edited by st dan

9 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Masks on public transport and WFH to continue from 21 June, from a purely selfish perspective, is absolutely ideal for me! Means I don't have to have the awkward conversation about changing to WFH permanently for a while yet!

So funny how different industries are taking completely different approaches to this.

In my industry we are adopting a 60:40 office model. (60% in office 40% at home). Anyone who asks for full time remote will receive a pay cut. Comes into effect in sept.

Edited by Matt42

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Indie SAGE statement on the UK government roadmap for ending all restrictions

We are currently witnessing a rapid increase in COVID-19 cases in England. Public Health England figures released on 3rd June suggest that the Delta variant has spread widely across the UK and is continuing to spread, that it has higher infectivity than the previous circulating variant, and that it is more likely to cause disease and hospitalization. There is increasing evidence that vaccine efficacy is compromised against this variant, and that individuals remain at particular risk until they receive two doses. There is some evidence that protection from two doses wanes after a number of months, particularly in the elderly. Meanwhile, cases are surging in school aged children, and spreading into the community, particularly amongst those yet to be fully vaccinated. It is clear that the link between infection and hospitalization has not yet been fully broken.

We wish to avoid another full lockdown, which will damage education and people’s wellbeing as well as the economy. This requires reversing the growth in cases. The UK government will announce their plans for future pandemic control on 14th June. As things stand, it is very difficult to justify progressing with the last stage of the roadmap, scheduled for 21st June, a point that should be made now to modify current false hopes.

In addition, there are a number of steps which should be implemented immediately to reduce current levels of transmission, including:

1. Strengthening financial and practical support to those requiring isolation following symptoms or a positive test, or for those in contact with positive testing individuals;
  2. Ensuring adequate ventilation and infection control measures within indoor venues (e.g. schools, workplaces, hospitality), with rigorous monitoring, certification of venues, and  sanctions where these measures are not undertaken;
  3. Reinstating face coverings for secondary school children, and providing resources to enhance classroom ventilation
  4. Doing away with the red/amber/green travel stratification and implementing comprehensive border control with managed quarantine, in order to avoid the importation of novel variants and the exportation of UK infections;
  5. Further accelerating vaccine rollout, and ensuring completion of two doses, to provide protection from infection. Boosters for vulnerable populations should be considered urgently by JCVI;
  6. Adequately resourcing the global vaccine initiative, to ensure control of transmission worldwide.

I agree with 1 and 6, and 2 and 5 are good ideas but not necessarily practical.

22 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

So funny how different industries are taking completely different approaches to this.

In my industry we are adopting a 60:40 office model. (60% in office 40% at home). Anyone who asks for full time remote will receive a pay cut. Comes into effect in sept.

60/40 would be a great split imo

43 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

What industry are you in if you don't mind me asking? The majority of our competitors (tax industry) have announced similar models i.e. work in office 2 days a week. That would be fine, except I have moved out of London now and have no intention to return, hence the need/desire to WFH permanently. 

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

we going to have a sweepstake on what's going to happen June 21st?

Finally talk moves away from restrictions lifting. I’ll go for:

Ukraine 3 v 0 Austria

North Macedonia 1 v 3 Netherlands 

Russia 1 v 1 Denmark

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

When will this shit end in Scotland? At least in England you are having this debate will June 21st be end of restrictions. In

Scotland government hasn't set any targets for lifting restrictions. And even in level 0 outside events are only allowed 1000 people max. There is a festival quite near me I'd like to go to, but can't do anything to convince myself it has any chance of going ahead.

3 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

According to senior Government advisers, the current thinking in Downing Street is that many restrictions will need to remain in place after so-called “Freedom Day” to avoid another full lockdown in the autumn. 

If there's a lockdown in autumn, it won't be because we relaxed restrictions in summer. It will happen anyway 

22 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Absolutely ridiculous capitulation 

Hopefully we get some civil unrest to show the govt the right way forward.  Its been 15 months, enough is enough.

Edited by zahidf
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Absolutely ridiculous capitulation 

Hopefully we get some civil unrest to show the govt the right way forward.  Its been 15 months, enough is enough.

‘Hopefully we get some civil unrest’.

That’s a bit over the top, go take a look at what civil unrest can lead too. Calm down. 

Edited by Ozanne
  • Downvote 1