When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Corona vaccine deliveries to Africa have "almost come to a standstill" and the number of infections there has risen by a fifth in the past two weeks. The World Health Organization (WHO) reported this gloomy development (STANDARD)

See - to put west african countries (which I love by the way) on the same list as Malta or Finland is simply beyond me. 

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

I mean everyone can do the Pagel hate thing...but she was right.

Yeah, I don't think today after the drop of that PHE briefing and the surge in cases does anything to prove she is a 'cow' that doesn't know what she is talking about (subject to usual caveats of yes I know cases are becoming less and less important).

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see what happens in Northern Ireland. We are behind the rest of the UK in first doses as a % of population I think (about even on second doses) yet are continuing to see cases and hospitalisations fall.

Hopefully we can hold off a couple more weeks and jab flat out until the Indian variant no doubt causes issues over here too

42 minutes ago, Havors said:

She's on the bloody TV and radio aswell... 😄 

And lets not be a hypocrite, if you find it too unpleasant or unnecessary just ignore him ffs?? 😄😉 

I’ve seen way too many online communities descend into hatred not to call it out when I see it.

By and large this haven for Glastonbury weirdos is one of the nicer, kinder and more welcoming corners of the internet and it would be nice to keep it that way…

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

The next week or so is going to be so interesting.

Looks like the writing is on the wall doesn’t it.

I’ll still look for positives rather than negatives because without hope we have nothing and for that I make no apologies.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

I’ll still look for positives rather than negatives because without hope we have nothing and for that I make no apologies.

I completely agree, I can't see them completely rolling back though so I do think we're going to get a good summer and be able to enjoy ourselves, the rollout does seem to be picking up pace though so by late July I can see us being in a very very good position - I hate to be that guy but with the data relatively low at the moment any fluctuations will seem worse than they are 

54 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yep unfortunately I do … just hope vaccine production and distribution can get to a stage that we can mass jab countries just like that … mission impossible maybe 

Even if we have to wait “just” another year the hospitality and performing arts industry will be decimated beyond all recognition, as will non elite professional sports. 
It’s time to have grown up conversations about the level of risk and the level of death society will have to accept in order to move forward rather than more delays and panic every time a variant comes along. 

7 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

The next week or so is going to be so interesting.

Looks like the writing is on the wall doesn’t it.

Main positive is that we will get to enough double vaxed people eventually to make it ok

Ive said it time and again- the government have caused all of this with their 21st June nonsense. Had they not announced it people wouldn't be piling onto each other, or onto scientists who are being proved right. 

People wouldn't have booked holidays, events wouldn't have announced (and maybe got the financial help they'll eventually need instead of pressing ahead) People would be happy with the freedoms they have and not pining for things that have been promised that can't be fulfilled. 

Who honestly thinks there will be non socially distanced events in 8 weeks? And who can honestly say it ever felt realistic that they could happen this summer? 

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

Ive said it time and again- the government have caused all of this with their 21st June nonsense. Had they not announced it people wouldn't be piling onto each other, or onto scientists who are being proved right. 

People wouldn't have booked holidays, events wouldn't have announced. People would be happy with the freedoms they have and not pining for things that have been promised that can't be fulfilled. 

Who honestly thinks there will be non socially distanced events in 8 weeks? And who can honestly say it ever felt realistic that they could happen this year? 

On top of that they allowed the Delta variant into the country by not shutting the borders, all because Johnson needed a trade deal with India due to Brexit.

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

People wouldn't have booked holidays, events wouldn't have announced. People would be happy with the freedoms they have and not pining for things that have been promised that can't be fulfilled. 

Who honestly thinks there will be non socially distanced events in 8 weeks? And who can honestly say it ever felt realistic that they could happen this year? 

First Pagel hasn't been proven right. She was saying we should stay in step 2 for another 2 months. That's not right.

Secondly yes, there will be non socially distant events this year. If we have to wait a couple of extra months to get everyone double jabbed maybe, but I don't think Boris would do that anyway.

Just now, BobWillis2 said:

Even if we have to wait “just” another year the hospitality and performing arts industry will be decimated beyond all recognition, as will non elite professional sports. 
It’s time to have grown up conversations about the level of risk and the level of death society will have to accept in order to move forward rather than more delays and panic every time a variant comes along. 

in a simplistic form i agree .... but greater numbers of cases lead to problems as we are now seeing with Indian variant ... o we really don't need want a mass surge in cases that cause something that creates vaccine evasion ... that makes all we did so far completely pointless ... locking down to protect the vulnerable if only to help them for a year .... its a really odd situation 

5 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

People wouldn't have booked holidays, events wouldn't have announced (and maybe got the financial help they'll eventually need instead of pressing ahead) People would be happy with the freedoms they have and not pining for things that have been promised that can't be fulfilled. 

Who honestly thinks there will be non socially distanced events in 8 weeks? And who can honestly say it ever felt realistic that they could happen this summer? 

Lost me on the bold part. They definitely could have gone ahead if we didn't allow a much more transmissible and more vaccine resistant variant to flood in in April. The Indian variant is now the dominant variant - imagine if we had none/low numbers of it and therefore how low the Kent numbers would have been at this stage without all of the Indian variant cases? There would be calls to bring 21 June ahead. 

Within a few weeks every adult in the UK will have been offered a first jab, and most with a first jab will have been offered a second jab. Then Boris Johnson will have to proceed with the next stage of the unlocking process. People who have chosen to be unvaccinated will have to take their chances with the virus. Most of the Indian variant hospital cases are in people who are not fully vaccinated. Politically, I do not see how Johnson can do anything else or people's patience with the restrictions will run out.

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Within a few weeks every adult in the UK will have been offered a first jab, and most with a first jab will have been offered a second jab. Then Boris Johnson will have to proceed with the next stage of the unlocking process. People who have chosen to be unvaccinated will have to take their chances with the virus. Most of the Indian variant hospital cases are in people who are not fully vaccinated. Politically, I do not see how Johnson can do anything else or people's patience with the restrictions will run out.

You've been saying what people will do for months now and it's not been the case. You are projecting; by 'people' you actually mean yourself.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

in a simplistic form i agree .... but greater numbers of cases lead to problems as we are now seeing with Indian variant ... o we really don't need want a mass surge in cases that cause something that creates vaccine evasion ... that makes all we did so far completely pointless ... locking down to protect the vulnerable if only to help them for a year .... its a really odd situation 

The issue is that even if we wait until everyone has had both doses covid will still circulate at varying levels, the virus will continue to mutate and boosters will be an ongoing thing to counteract any reduced efficacy but it won’t be an instant catch all thing. 
Covid will exist for a long time, possibly forever, it will still put people in hospital and people will die from it. 
The conversations that are not being had are what level of death is acceptable. Whitty is the only one that’s been brave enough to put a number on it and he said 25,000 per year. 
Without knowing what level we can or will have to accept how can we properly asses the dangers of opening up while the vaccination rollout is still ongoing. We can’t, because we’d be  comparing a potential number of deaths against an ‘acceptable’ number that doesn’t exist because we aren’t having the right conversations.