When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

My 2 reasons personally are that I’d like a proper birthday on the 23rd and to attend some t20 cricket on the 29th  I’ve still got 2 weeks holiday planned from Glastonbury so it will be kind of nice to get restrictions lifted just b4 … that said it really doesn’t matter … it’s just a nice to have 

Stuff like that does matter though. I don't think we should settle for less just cause we had it so shite all winter.

We were repeatedly told that lockdowns were for saving the NHS. Capacity is totally fine atm and vaccine uptake is huge and every day more and more people are protected. Just cause things are tolerable now and better than they were in Feb doesn't mean we should settle for it.

6 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Why would it just be 2 weeks though? Could easily drag on and on.

Also why does something have to be having a horrendous impact on your mental health to want it gone? We have had 18 months of this shite. I want full normality back ASAP. Not 2 hour time slots at pubs, not pre booking everything, not limited numbers. Everything back ASAP. 

The longer we wait the less of summer will be left obv.

Completely agree. Why is it fine in July but not on 21st June? 

The aim of restrictions was to avoid hospital capacity being exceeded. There's not any evidence to suggest that is a threat so what are we waiting for? 

13 minutes ago, Zacko said:

Any idea when those aged 29 can book? I turn 30 on July 21st so in a sort of weird limbo now, and loads of my mates (some younger with apparently no underlying heath stuff) have had theirs because of texts from GPs. Nothing from mine even though we're in the same city. 

I'm not super scared or anything, but everyone I know that's had Covid has had it quite bad, so would be nice to get at least the first dose done soon. The 21st is pretty close now! 

Are we thinking I'll be able to book this week sometime? 

Have you tried online? Depending on your area, it may let you book

4 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Stuff like that does matter though. I don't think we should settle for less just cause we had it so shite all winter.

We were repeatedly told that lockdowns were for saving the NHS. Capacity is totally fine atm and vaccine uptake is huge and every day more and more people are protected. Just cause things are tolerable now and better than they were in Feb doesn't mean we should settle for it.

I’m not settling for it … I had just accepted that making definitive plans and setting my mind on it was not the best way for me to deal with things during an ever changing pandemic , I try and make the best of things at the stage we are currently at and no of course I don’t want that to remain .. or remain longer than necessary… but going back into restrictions personally would hit me harder … a gentle easing suits me and my mental health easier .. I can slow myself back in at all stages … any massive unlocking and cases soaring even with a vaccine might not help some wary come out … so I just prepare myself for a lower than best case scenario 

13 minutes ago, Zacko said:

Any idea when those aged 29 can book? I turn 30 on July 21st so in a sort of weird limbo now, and loads of my mates (some younger with apparently no underlying heath stuff) have had theirs because of texts from GPs. Nothing from mine even though we're in the same city. 

I'm not super scared or anything, but everyone I know that's had Covid has had it quite bad, so would be nice to get at least the first dose done soon. The 21st is pretty close now! 

Are we thinking I'll be able to book this week sometime? 

I’m certainly expecting it this week. My parents had their 2nd a few days ago and they asked the nurse, and they said to keep an eye on the site because it should be up for 28/29 sometime this week.

19 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Also why does something have to be having a horrendous impact on your mental health to want it gone? We have had 18 months of this shite. I want full normality back ASAP. Not 2 hour time slots at pubs, not pre booking everything, not limited numbers. Everything back ASAP. 

The longer we wait the less of summer will be left obv.

yup i agree. 

If its just to get more people jabbed and its a 100% going to reopen regardless of case numbers, then i would just about stomach a 2 week extension 

But its not being presented as that. Its '2 more weeks for more evdience which may mean longer extensions'. So I'm against it on that basis. We know from what fake SAGE are saying that the nerds wants till end of August for stage 4. So i dont trust them when they call for 'jus' 2 more weeks

Edited by zahidf

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

in terms of further restrictions or going backwards, that would just ruin businesses. people arent going to stop seeing their friends or families now. that genie is out the bottle

No they aren’t stopping the things that have happened but they are stopping the things that are happening in future … so the vaccines 💉 jump in and help us … just like in Manchester in 1 area where jabs have managed to hold it in one area … whilst the others are starting to surge 

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

yup i agree. 

If its just to get more people jabbed and its a 100% going to reopen regardless of case numbers, then i would just about stomach a 2 week extension 

But its not being presented as that. Its '2 more weeks for more evdience which may mean longer extensions'. So I'm against it on that basis. We know from what fake SAGE are saying that the nerds wants till end of August

Well if Bolton is anything to go by the numbers are dropping already and (i may be wrong) basically nobody in intensive care. 

I think on the 14th we will have a good picture that the uptick was just due to some reopening and some importation of the new variant. Ultimately the vaccine is working and 21st looks good. 

Well thats what im hoping and guessing. 

14 hours ago, st dan said:

Seems like it’s a very common occurrence for sport stars to have false positive tests - only for them to be re-tested and then proved to actually be negative. I can only imagine how common this will be within the general population, especially when we’re doing 1m+ tests a day. 

I've seen stuff on Facebook begging people to stop getting tested because if people don't get tested they can't test positive.

yup i agree. 

But its not being presented as that. Its '2 more weeks for more evdience which may mean longer extensions'. So I'm against it on that basis. We know from what fake SAGE are saying that the nerds wants till end of August

And then the end of August rolls around and it is the end of summer... No fkn way they're then going to say aw crack on and go for indoor concerts etc.

Pagel is still going on about cases in kids in schools I seriously don't get it... like am I downplaying it when I say the chances of this harming kids is miniscule and restrictions/ missing school did/does way more harm to them.

I would rather cases were still dropping but that was never one of the 4 tests was it? I think we will hit a tipping point soon enough where we will head the same way as israel... just might be a bump in the road for a couple weeks.

On another note, dunno why I care too much about the mid june date cause i am in glasgow where i STILL cant drink inside a pub lol.

8 minutes ago, jparx said:

I’m certainly expecting it this week. My parents had their 2nd a few days ago and they asked the nurse, and they said to keep an eye on the site because it should be up for 28/29 sometime this week.

Ah perfect, cheers! 

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Thread...with a bit of Pagel in there to get you all fired up....

This may be the pedant in me but I hate how efficacy is reported by people in the media and online. It’s rarely caveated by “against symptomatic disease” or “against hospitalisations/deaths”. They are important distinctions to make. I don’t think many people understand that “effectiveness” means very different things depending on the context. 

58 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Because people are still dying and you're trading off lives against that. Out of interest, what's your number for no 2 hour pre-booked time slots at pubs? How many people are you okay with dying to have that, and how many would be too much?

47 minutes ago, El Matador said:

Completely agree. Why is it fine in July but not on 21st June? 

The aim of restrictions was to avoid hospital capacity being exceeded. There's not any evidence to suggest that is a threat so what are we waiting for? 

Err - exponential growth. We're still at a point where the NHS can be overwhelmed. It is still a threat. It's where we were Feb 2020, just a few 100 cases, very few hospitalisations, then a month later we were in lockdown because it exploded. Yes we have vaccines now, but also more transmissible variants. It won't explode in the same way, but you have to do the maths. It's not necessarily 2 weeks. It could be 3 weeks, could be 1, could be 0. Could be 6. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

Because people are still dying and you're trading off lives against that. Out of interest, what's your number for no 2 hour pre-booked time slots at pubs? How many people are you okay with dying to have that, and how many would be too much?

How many flu deaths do you allow every winter and not bat an eyelid? People die fs it happens, by your logic we should never fully open up. Or if you're saying we can eventually then what number of deaths are you willing to accept?

For me the minimal numbers we have atm are fine, same way as thousands of flu deaths a year are 'fine'. Obviously I don't want anyone to die but if I worried about it all day I would never get anything done.

Your logic seems to be we can't have anyone dying of this thing before normality which is mental imo

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Trying to keep the positive test count lower isn't the same as denying the virus it's Also a workable strategy from the public's side of things where the public can't have much influence on what happens.

Is it workable as a suppressing the virus strategy though ? Or is it just a hiding the virus strategy and causing more infection and therefore hospitalisation through that … some point we live with it … but hide it is that workable ? 

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Trying to keep the positive test count lower isn't the same as denying the virus it's Also a workable strategy from the public's side of things where the public can't have much influence on what happens.

Tell 'em not to have a dump as well.
https://post.parliament.uk/monitoring-wastewater-for-covid-19/

Infection rates are being calculated from sewage samples.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

It's all the public can do? Not get a test? I'm sure there might be other things the public can do to stop the virus spreading.....

10 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

That's a decision we've always made. For example during bad flu seasons. I think shouting at people for wanting stuff to reopen that they are killing people post mass vaccination rollout is a tiny bit hysterical

8 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Err - exponential growth. We're still at a point where the NHS can be overwhelmed. It is still a threat. It's where we were Feb 2020, just a few 100 cases, very few hospitalisations, then a month later we were in lockdown because it exploded. Yes we have vaccines now, but also more transmissible variants. It won't explode in the same way, but you have to do the maths. It's not necessarily 2 weeks. It could be 3 weeks, could be 1, could be 0. Could be 6. 

5,000-10,000 deaths is what I’d be willing to accept but I’d counter that by asking if you really think those measures are preventing that?

Though it’s moot anyway. 2 hour prebooked slots aren’t something the government has mandated. It’s the 1m+ social distancing that’s the issue. Allow them to open at full capacity and they won’t need to restrict the numbers so won’t get overbooked and then 2 hour limits won’t be necessary. 

That's a decision we've always made. For example during bad flu seasons. I think shouting at people for wanting stuff to reopen that they are killing people post mass vaccination rollout is a tiny bit hysterical

Not to mention the fact that it’s not like Johnson is personally going out and killing the (for instance) 7000 people that might die if there’s a reopening on the 21st.

We have a lot of autonomy over our relationship with this virus. I’d encourage anyone to eat healthy, exercise, drink less and get enough sleep to equip their body to fight it off if they do catch it.

And if you can’t do that, then just voluntarily stay in lockdown to minimise the risk of catching it in the first place. No one is being forced to go to the pub.