When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

31 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Isn’t the main issue that flu vaccines are only about 50% effective against serious illness whereas the covid vaccines are absolutely slut-shaming the virus into insignificance?

I wonder if Pfizer scientists and the like could be redeployed into finding better flu vaccines. 

That's because the flu is natural... And this one was made in China..... 🤨

10 hours ago, zahidf said:

Loolllll. That's not exactly a peer reviewed paper. What scientist? What evidence to they have? Nothing in the article on that. And nothing online about it.

I knew they were making it up

Absolutely disgraceful behaviour from the Mail

Even if there was a Nepal variant, it would be much less likely to be imported into UK than the Indian one, just because less direct flights etc etc. Anyway, Indian variant (delta) is the dominant one here now....that's the one we should be worrying about. No doubt there will be more variants cropping up in different parts of the world...but they don't necessaily spread everywhere.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Even if there was a Nepal variant, it would be much less likely to be imported into UK than the Indian one, just because less direct flights etc etc. Anyway, Indian variant (delta) is the dominant one here now....that's the one we should be worrying about. No doubt there will be more variants cropping up in different parts of the world...but they don't necessaily spread everywhere.

Even made up variants it would seem...

Utterly shameful to make shit like this up.

16 hours ago, jparx said:

Not sure what two weeks achieves really. Either go for the 21st regardless or move it back to when all adults have both shots.

There's a tipping point. There's a point at which massive exponential growth happens and the virus spreads round the population... and it doesn't really matter because enough people are vaccinated the NHS can still cope with the relatively small number of vaccinations.

There's a few things that impact on what that tipping point is:

1) The starting point in terms of infections - so how many people have it at the point we open everything up. Exponential growth is fast, but if the starting point is very low, the remaining vaccine programme can outpace it.

2) R number of the prevalent strand of the virus with no restrictions in place - the more infections variants will spread quicker, giving us less time to vaccinate.

3) Efficacy of the vaccines on preventing transmission of the prevalent strand of the virus - we've got some data on this but not loads, but if they are good they essentially slow things down further, so having an extra two weeks worth of people vaccinated has a double effect.

You can sort of visualise it as a race with the virus chasing the vaccine programme. The finish line for the vaccine programme isn't "herd immunity" though - it's just the point at which it's impossible for the virus to overwhelm the NHS. The virus is just trying to catch up and reach the vaccine programme before it gets there. More transmissible variants give the virus a boost in running speed. But more vaccinations not only get us closer to the finish line but slow the virus itself down.

A couple of extra weeks of restrictions gives us a head start. If we're optimising for efficiency you want the vaccines to cross the finish line just before the virus catches up. But what you really, really don't want is to realise you did the maths wrong, and the virus is going to catch up before you hit the finish line. And so you have to put everyone back in lockdown. 

12 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Good spot. "Ease" certainly doesn't sound like they were ever expecting everything to be back to as 2019 this month.

I swear that was the general reaction when the roadmap was announced on this thread. There was certainly very little "oh so Glasto could have gone ahead after all" hand-wringing at least.

What are people so desperate to do between June 21 and July 5 anyway? Are you all going to that James gig in London? I'd totally get the complaining if we were talking about the earlier May date, but at this point you can see friends, you can go to the pub, you can hug your family... I get that you can't go out with *all* your friends at once, and that you might have to book a pub in advance, and that you have to wear a mask in places but... it that really that much of a hardship? Is it such an horrendous impact on your mental health?

I would also understand if we were talking about pushing it back a month, because that's when people are starting to have gigs and events and stuff booked in. But in that gap between June 21 and July 5 is there really much people have tickets for? Are we expecting June 21 to be confirmed on June 14 and suddenly promoters jump into gear and put a load of stuff on?

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Yup public expect June 21st to go ahead

It was always going to be VERY hard to sell restrictions to people when you’ve vaccinated such a high % of the country. I’ve said all along that if social distancing will persist, you really need to be explaining clearly to the public why vaccines aren’t the sole answer and why cases still matter even if deaths level off, when in fact the mantra from Hancock has been “vaccines are the way out”. It’s only natural people will look at 75% first doses and think something doesn’t add up.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

It was always going to be VERY hard to sell restrictions to people when you’ve vaccinated such a high % of the country. I’ve said all along that if social distancing will persist, you really need to be explaining clearly to the public why vaccines aren’t the sole answer and why cases still matter even if deaths level off, when in fact the mantra from Hancock has been “vaccines are the way out”. It’s only natural people will look at 75% first doses and think something doesn’t add up.

But people don't do nuance. The high vaccine uptake is BECAUSE its seen as the best way out. You can manage expectations or push for the highest vaccine uptake

7 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I swear that was the general reaction when the roadmap was announced on this thread. There was certainly very little "oh so Glasto could have gone ahead after all" hand-wringing at least.

What are people so desperate to do between June 21 and July 5 anyway? Are you all going to that James gig in London? I'd totally get the complaining if we were talking about the earlier May date, but at this point you can see friends, you can go to the pub, you can hug your family... I get that you can't go out with *all* your friends at once, and that you might have to book a pub in advance, and that you have to wear a mask in places but... it that really that much of a hardship? Is it such an horrendous impact on your mental health?

I would also understand if we were talking about pushing it back a month, because that's when people are starting to have gigs and events and stuff booked in. But in that gap between June 21 and July 5 is there really much people have tickets for? Are we expecting June 21 to be confirmed on June 14 and suddenly promoters jump into gear and put a load of stuff on?

My 2 reasons personally are that I’d like a proper birthday on the 23rd and to attend some t20 cricket on the 29th  I’ve still got 2 weeks holiday planned from Glastonbury so it will be kind of nice to get restrictions lifted just b4 … that said it really doesn’t matter … it’s just a nice to have 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Why would it just be 2 weeks though? Could easily drag on and on.

Also why does something have to be having a horrendous impact on your mental health to want it gone? We have had 18 months of this shite. I want full normality back ASAP. Not 2 hour time slots at pubs, not pre booking everything, not limited numbers. Everything back ASAP. 

The longer we wait the less of summer will be left obv.

• Upvote 1

Any idea when those aged 29 can book? I turn 30 on July 21st so in a sort of weird limbo now, and loads of my mates (some younger with apparently no underlying heath stuff) have had theirs because of texts from GPs. Nothing from mine even though we're in the same city. 

I'm not super scared or anything, but everyone I know that's had Covid has had it quite bad, so would be nice to get at least the first dose done soon. The 21st is pretty close now! 

Are we thinking I'll be able to book this week sometime?