When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

It isn't just fake SAGE, it's real SAGE and Nervtag and other evil boffin nerd geek scientist scum like Prof Gupta and Prof Finn...I mean what the fuck do they know anyway?! I bet they've never even been to a pub. Hopefully they listen to actual grounded clever people like Charles Walker, man of the people.

We are in a race to vaccinate as many as poss so can meet this 21June date...but some are calling for acceleration of first doses to be given to younger population, as I guess they are spreading it more, and others for 2nd doses to be given to over 50s as they are more vulnerable. Jab jab jab. Must hit that date, fuck everyone else.

We're being told we're in a race to get as many jabbed as possible & yet we still haven't scaled up the promised 800k-1 mil jabs per day.

We were told this would happen by the end of March. Then it was delayed due to an April drop in supply. Then when the panic finally kicked in about the Indian variant, the press were briefed again that it would be 800k-1 mil per day before the end of May. It still did not happen.

I'm not criticising the roll out, NHS are doing a great job, but nobody seems to be questioning why we aren't getting to the promised 800k-1 mil per day if it's now a race against the variant. 

If 21st June doesn't go ahead fully I'm sure they're going to compromise and still do some easing, perhaps allowing more people to mix indoors or larger groups outside

I would be sad for it, but I do worry for those who's buissnesses rely on the date going ahead, seeing all these scientists calling for a delay must be soul destroying for them. I do also worry there might be some proper civil unrest from the anti-lockdowners if the date doesn't happen as planned too 

Edited by Chapple12345

24 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’m getting deja vu. Didn’t we have pretty much the same conversations 2 weeks after the previous phases of restriction lifting. 

Lots of talk about cancellation generating headlines and page clicks and when it comes down to making the decision on whether to lift or restrict, the planned easing goes ahead anyway. 

Not really, we didn't have doubling rates of 4 days in multiple places.  This is different to all the other times, the last step was huge.

5 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

If 21st June doesn't go ahead fully I'm sure they're going to compromise and still do some easing, perhaps allowing more people to mix indoors or larger groups outside

I would be sad for it, but I do worry for those who's buissnesses rely on the date going ahead, seeing all these scientists calling for a delay must be soul destroying for them. I do also worry there might be some proper civil unrest from the anti-lockdowners if the date doesn't happen as planned too 

I still think most restrictions will be lifted on June 21st...not because I think it's a good idea, but because Johnson put this date out there and will be desperate to meet it.

8 minutes ago, FakeEmpire said:

We're being told we're in a race to get as many jabbed as possible & yet we still haven't scaled up the promised 800k-1 mil jabs per day.

We were told this would happen by the end of March. Then it was delayed due to an April drop in supply. Then when the panic finally kicked in about the Indian variant, the press were briefed again that it would be 800k-1 mil per day before the end of May. It still did not happen.

I'm not criticising the roll out, NHS are doing a great job, but nobody seems to be questioning why we aren't getting to the promised 800k-1 mil per day if it's now a race against the variant. 

It was discussed at length - supply issues from the EU and India are the reason we never got vaccination rates as high as hoped for.

6 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

I doubt there's going to be much civil un rest personally.

Most restrictions have been lifted regardless, life seems prettry normal aside from clubbing and a few other anecdotal things. 

1 minute ago, MrBarry465 said:

I doubt there's going to be much civil un rest personally.

Most restrictions have been lifted regardless, life seems prettry normal aside from clubbing and a few other anecdotal things. 

I'm sure there will be a march or two so people can wear their new star of david tshirts.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

I'm sure there will be a march or two so people can wear their new star of david tshirts.

As much as I despise them, I have to hand it to the 'anti lockdown protestors', they are particularly good at sustaining a protest against something which is simply not there. 

Edited by MrBarry465

58 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Media is now wall to wall lockdown delay. It’s going to happen isn’t it? The media have snapped it up and it will force the government to do it.

Probably the opposite. The Government will ignore that and go for it anyway, setting themselves up as champions of the people against the left-wing MSM. It’s worked for them so far.

43 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Going to be a hard sell to the general public who aren’t as invested as us on here. They’ve just heard 21 June is ‘Freedom Day’ and imagine have already made plans.

I think it’s too late for any slowing to make much difference. People are getting back to normal and making plans for the summer. I feel like outside of threads like this and a few Twitter echo chambers, interest is really dissipating. The two WhatsApp groups with friends I’m in that are Pandemic dedicated haven’t had a post in days, same on the football forum I go on, the thread even disappeared off Page 1 the other day. I rarely hear it mentioned in work. Anecdotal obv but even the recent outbreak in my children’s school was generally met with resignation and the woman campaigning for the School to be closed didn’t get much support.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Media is now wall to wall lockdown delay. It’s going to happen isn’t it? The media have snapped it up and it will force the government to do it.

Could also be the threat of further lockdown delay as a device to encourage people to get the vaccine as the last step of the roadmap probably effects the young more than the old, given it tends to be the young who are more likely to go to clubs, festivals etc, plus they were the age group expected to have the largest level of vaccine hesitancy.

I don’t necessarily think what I’ve said is the reason but it is a possibility 

18 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

As much as I despise them, I have to hand it to the 'anti lockdown protestors', they are particularly good at sustaining a protest against something which is simply not there. 

It’s the same bunch of serial protestors. They’ll always have something to protest against. If they weren’t protesting about something then they may have to actually get jobs and become productive members of society. 

3 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Could also be the threat of further lockdown delay as a device to encourage people to get the vaccine as the last step of the roadmap probably effects the young more than the old, given it tends to be the young who are more likely to go to clubs, festivals etc, plus they were the age group expected to have the largest level of vaccine hesitancy.

I don’t necessarily think what I’ve said is the reason but it is a possibility 

Very possible, given how they’ve tried to nudge and manipulate people throughout the whole Pandemic.

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

It’s the same bunch of serial protestors. They’ll always have something to protest against. If they weren’t protesting about something then they may have to actually get jobs and become productive members of society. 

I'm fine with protesting, but it's just such a pathetic/pointless thing to be protesting at this point.

I can start with 100 other better causes. 

yup i agree with this boffin

Robert Dingwall, professor of sociology at Nottingham Trent University, said that it was important to press ahead with the June 21 easing from a societal point of view.

He told Times Radio:

I personally, I don’t see any case for delay... from a societal point of view, I think it’s really important that we go ahead on June 21, and I’ve not really seen anything in the data that would lead me to doubt that as a proposition on the evidence to date.

I think we need to recognise the way in which levels of fear and anxiety in the population have been amplified over the last 15 months or so.

We’ve got to look at the collateral damage in terms of untreated cancers, untreated heart conditions, all of the other things that people suffer from.

We’ve got to think about the impact of economic damage that would be caused by further periods of delay and uncertainty.

What we see at the moment I think is really a preview of what it means to live with Covid as an endemic infection – these waves will come, they will pass through; there will be high levels of mild infections in the community for periods of time, a handful of people may be seriously ill, even fewer may die.

But that’s what happens with respiratory viruses, and we’ve lived with 30-odd respiratory viruses for since forever.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, zahidf said:

yup i agree with this boffin

Robert Dingwall, professor of sociology at Nottingham Trent University, said that it was important to press ahead with the June 21 easing from a societal point of view.

He told Times Radio:

I personally, I don’t see any case for delay... from a societal point of view, I think it’s really important that we go ahead on June 21, and I’ve not really seen anything in the data that would lead me to doubt that as a proposition on the evidence to date.

I think we need to recognise the way in which levels of fear and anxiety in the population have been amplified over the last 15 months or so.

We’ve got to look at the collateral damage in terms of untreated cancers, untreated heart conditions, all of the other things that people suffer from.

We’ve got to think about the impact of economic damage that would be caused by further periods of delay and uncertainty.

What we see at the moment I think is really a preview of what it means to live with Covid as an endemic infection – these waves will come, they will pass through; there will be high levels of mild infections in the community for periods of time, a handful of people may be seriously ill, even fewer may die.

But that’s what happens with respiratory viruses, and we’ve lived with 30-odd respiratory viruses for since forever.

not sure how this impacts untreated cancers etc...but I get his overall point.

Genomic surveillance of SARS-CoV-2 in England
The largest in-depth analysis of genomic surveillance data mapping out the dynamics of 62 lineages of the SARS-CoV-2 virus

The analysis of B.1.617.2 indicates that its current growth rate is 35% (20–50%) higher than that of B.1.1.7, with the highest rates of spread seen in North West England. Such a growth advantage has not been observed for any other VOC or VUI.

The mechanisms for this increased spread are unknown, but are likely to be a combination of viral biology (transmission or the ability to evade the immune system), repeated introductions, and epidemiological factors in the communities where it was introduced.

https://www.embl.org/news/science/genomic-surveillance-sarscov2-england/

Robert Dingwall, professor of sociology at Nottingham Trent University, said “critics” who have suggested that the June 21 easing should be delayed “can’t even agree on what delay they’d like”.

He told Times Radio:

By the time we get to June 21, everybody who is in the nine priority groups or the highest risk will have had both jabs, and would have had a period of time to consolidate the immunity.

What are we going on with is really running into younger age groups who are intrinsically much lower risk. Many of the scientists who’ve been talking over the weekend simply haven’t adjusted their expectations to understand that - (for these people) Covid is a mild illness in the community.

As the Director of Public Health Bolton was saying last week, the people who are going into hospital... it’s not like January, these are not desperately ill people.

They’re people who need a little bit of extra support with oxygen, they need access to the dexamethasone treatment, which is very effective.

They go in, stay in hospital for three or four days and they go out again. There is no realistic prospect of the NHS facing the sorts of pressures that it faced in January and February. And that’s why I think we have to we have to push on with this.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1