When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

I'd really be interested in the age of those five people and when they had their vaccines - and which one.

1/3 of the population has had two vaccines, so even if the population had been vaccinated in a completely random order (more on that later) then you’d expect 1/3 of the hospitalisation (roughly 16 people) to be in fully vaccinated people. 

Even more importantly though, the 1/3 of the population that have had both vaccines corresponds to the 1/3 most vulnerable. In a completely unvaccinated population they’d be making up around 60% of hospitalisations. This is suggestive of a very high efficacy against serious illness. 

It should also be examined whether any of the 5 are just coincidentally in hospital for an unrelated medical issue and just happened to test positive for the Indian variant as well. 

12 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Who the hell is this moron? He doesn’t seem to understand that efficacy against symptomatic infection is not the same as efficacy against serious illness. 

According to Wikipedia...”Eric Jeffrey Topol (born 26 June 1954[1]) is an American cardiologist, scientist, and author. He is the founder and director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute,[2] a professor of Molecular Medicine at The Scripps Research Institute, and a senior consultant at the Division of Cardiovascular Diseases at Scripps Clinic in La Jolla, California. He is editor-in-chief of Medscape and theheart.org. He has published three bestseller books on the future of medicine.[3] The Creative Destruction of Medicine (2010), The Patient Will See You Now(2015), and Deep Medicine: How Artificial Intelligence Can Make Healthcare Human Again(2019). He was also commissioned by the UK 2018–2019 to lead planning for the National Health Service's future workforce, integrating genomics, digital medicine, and artificial intelligence.”

sounds like a total moron alright. 😜

(I’ve seen some of his tweets previously, he was a pretty vocal critic of some of trump’s “miracle cures”...you’d probably agree with most of what he’s posted during the pandemic)...

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

It’s almost like it’s a nasty virus … that doesn’t create much good news 

The difference is Indy sage (or pagel at least) has said pubs shouldn’t be open and keeps banging on about cases In kids as if she wants schools shut too. She is hyperbolic to the extreme and just unbelievably negative I dunno how she has the energy. No one is saying everything is rosey but the way she (and others) talk it’s as if she can’t ever take any positives and wants us locked down forever 

55 minutes ago, zahidf said:

It's a medium thread I found. Basically no one knows, could be ok, we may have to look at reopening fully June 21st. At least he's using facts unlike fake SAGE

Yeah I think they might have to look at step 4 of the roadmap if the data continues as it is now. We have a bank holiday ahead of us which could add to the increase in prevalence of the virus or it might not, the next 10 days or so will be vital.

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Yeah I think they might have to look at step 4 of the roadmap if the data continues as it is now. We have a bank holiday ahead of us which could add to the increase in prevalence of the virus or it might not, the next 10 days or so will be vital.

Half term next week as well should help keep mixing down.

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Warm weather helps, increase in people travelling round country doesn't.

10 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

As much as I've been against it, it's annoying that the covid certification isn't ready yet as you could easily open up places non socially distanced if negative tests or vaccine proof were required, or at the very least the piloted levels of mass gatherings. But I guess those will have to wait til the government sorts itself out on that side of things

Sheesh. The latest data dump suggests that the Indian variant has an R0 of 7.5. Now the worst that might mean for us in the UK is an extra month under the current step 3 measures while the first dose rollout is completed, but a virus with that level of transmissibility is going to absolutely rip through the third world.

We need to go ahead and donate our J&J supply and the unused AZ vaccines to covax. Fast. 

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Warm weather helps, increase in people travelling round country doesn't.

People travelling abroad doesn't help as well, maybe they should look at tightening the rules on foreign travel again as well.

6 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Sheesh. The latest data dump suggests that the Indian variant has an R0 of 7.5. Now the worst that might mean for us in the UK is an extra month under the current step 3 measures while the first dose rollout is completed, but a virus with that level of transmissibility is going to absolutely rip through the third world.

We need to go ahead and donate our J&J supply and the unused AZ vaccines to covax. Fast. 

Lol so from 20/30% mroe transmissible to 67% all of a sudden? 

Numbers are too low to know for sure. But it doesn't seem to be spreading to all areas 

Just now, zahidf said:

Lol so from 20/30% mroe transmissible to 67% all of a sudden? 

Numbers are too low to know for sure. But it doesn't seem to be spreading to all areas 

Yeah. Obviously I hope it’s wrong but the data today suggests a 67% transmission advantage. 

1 minute ago, Radiochicken said:

If we have to backtrack to any previous stages now we’ve opened up, it’d be pretty devastating tbh.

It would be but I don't think we'll backtrack, possibly stay at this level for a bit longer.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Yeah. Obviously I hope it’s wrong but the data today suggests a 67% transmission advantage. 

I'm slightly confused - where did you see / how did you extrapolate a 67% transmission advantage into an R rate of 7.5? I'm struggling to join the dots.