When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

The biggest F up of all surely was having absolutely no plan for a pandemic seemingly whatsoever

any political party should now be standing on the idea of having thorough and complete plans ready for most forseeable disaster / crisis scenarios should they arise.

Agreed, but seems like this was also an oversight for more or less every country in Europe, and the US. I just don’t think any governments really believed anything like this would happen on their watch, although that doesn’t wash as the scientists knew it was a matter of when, not if. 
Having no real experience to go off means they kind of did have to make it up as they went along - even if they had a plan and modelling it would have been pretty useless in the face of a real crisis I think. But even off the cuff, it could have been handled much better with strong leadership. 

At least for the next pandemic they will be using Covid as the benchmark, and should hopefully now have the data to show that you need to lockdown early and for the necessary duration, and be proactive rather than reactive throughout. And any outbreaks must be taken seriously ASAP, rather than trying to pass it off like everything will be ok, as it’s clear happened here. 

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

If gove took over do we think that'd change the roadmap to a more cautious one? It could even be that Cummings thinks if he can get rid of Johnson that maybe he can save the country from the next wave if he thinks we're rushing things....

I don’t think Mr.Barnard Castle gives a shit. It’s all a game to him. Let’s not suddenly set up Captain Brexit as some kind of white knight riding to the rescue. 

Without wanting to get sucked in to the Cummings vortex bearing in mind he's obviously playing a massive game of which we are all pawns in (I bet his eyes shoot lasers btw) one thing did resonate with me.

Political leaders & the various secretaries both currently and in at least most recent history who by default are the most powerful people in the country have got jobs within sectors which realistically none are actually qualified for nor have significant previous knowledge about.

My question is however, how do we fix this? 

Let's take the position of Prime Minister for instance, what makes a good PM? Which sector prepares you most for this job?

Edited by JoeyT

Just now, JoeyT said:

Without wanting to get sucked in to the Cummings vortex bearing in mind he's obviously playing a massive game of which we all pawns in (I bet his eyes shoot lasers btw) one thing did resonate with me.

Political leaders & the various secretaries both currently and in at least most recent history who by default are the most powerful people in the country have got the jobs which realistically none are actually qualified for.

Let's take the position of Prime Minister for instance, what makes a good PM? Which sector prepares you most for this job?

And what qualifies a member of the cabinet to do the job when they switch roles ?!  Or when they start a particular role in the first place … for my mp it’s been voting for the govt for everything although I’m sure that applies to many 

I see PM closest linked to a football manager. You don’t have to have been the best player in the past, but it’s your job to assemble the best team around you to enable your job to be as easy as possible. Alex Ferguson was perfect example of this, he had a chief executive, assistant manager, coaches, scouts etc all of whom he had complete trust and control of. His job was just to keep them all in line. It’s quite clear that this is where Boris’ issues lie. 

6 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Without wanting to get sucked in to the Cummings vortex bearing in mind he's obviously playing a massive game of which we are all pawns in (I bet his eyes shoot lasers btw) one thing did resonate with me.

Political leaders & the various secretaries both currently and in at least most recent history who by default are the most powerful people in the country have got jobs within sectors which realistically none are actually qualified for nor have significant previous knowledge about.

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I don't know but Cummings made a good point that you could of dropped Bill Gates or any other extremely clever person into his seat in March and given the level of poor advice being briefed would of made all the same mistakes.  I think there is a lot of truth in that.

Yeah I'd agree with this -  PM  unfortunately has to be a politician but the cabinet members have to be properly qualified - there has to be an answer to this, these are the people who run the most important parts of the country's day to day life and their backgrounds are disgracefully unqualified for that 

They should've replaced Hancock with a somebody with some sort of experience as soon as it was clear there was a pandemic to deal with - no idea who but even if it meant ripping up the rulebook a bit it should've been done. You can't overlook his dishonesty but at the same time he was and is hopelessly out of his depth and was always going to be. 

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Yeah I'd agree with this -  PM  unfortunately has to be a politician but the cabinet members have to be properly qualified - there has to be an answer to this, these are the people who run the most important parts of the country's day to day life and their backgrounds are disgracefully unqualified for that 

They should've replaced Hancock with a somebody with some sort of experience as soon as it was clear there was a pandemic to deal with - no idea who but even if it meant ripping up the rulebook a bit it should've been done. You can't overlook his dishonesty but at the same time he was and is hopelessly out of his depth and was always going to be. 

It's difficult to find an answer given the cabinet members are elected MPs themselves so without a complete overhaul of our political system to allow for qualified individuals to assume these positions we are going to be stuck in a cycle of the usual suspects...

8 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Appointing Ministers based on Brexit purity rather than ability doesn’t help either.