When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Mellotr0n said:

Advice required.

I currently have a stinking head cold. I'm due for my jab tomorrow. I remember my son being dreadful when he had one of his vaccinations whilst having a cold - should I postpone my jab by a week or so, or "man up" and ride it out?

They might tell you not to have it if you're ill. I know at the centre I volunteer at they will always check whether people are feeling well first as part of the screening questions.

Boom

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/covid-test-pilot-events-15-cases-west-end-revival-june-21-oliver-dowden-b937048.html

• Just four cases of Covid occurred across the entire 17 days of the World Snooker Championships, staged indoors at Sheffield’s Crucible Theatre.
  • Zero cases emerged from the Brits, even though the audience could mingle at tables and in boxes without masks.
  • There were only two cases among 5,900 pop-lovers at an outdoor music festival at Sefton Park, Liverpool, and none at all at the reduced-capacity football at Wembley Stadium, indicating that summer festivals, sporting events and entertainments held outdoors are very safe.
  • Nine cases were found among 6,000 revellers who packed into a nightclub in Liverpool over two days without masks. The relatively higher incidence confirmed that clubbing is the toughest part of the night economy to bring back safely but is not seen as so high as to rule out the reopening of venues.

Edited by zahidf
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Boom

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/covid-test-pilot-events-15-cases-west-end-revival-june-21-oliver-dowden-b937048.html

• Just four cases of Covid occurred across the entire 17 days of the World Snooker Championships, staged indoors at Sheffield’s Crucible Theatre.
  • Zero cases emerged from the Brits, even though the audience could mingle at tables and in boxes without masks.
  • There were only two cases among 5,900 pop-lovers at an outdoor music festival at Sefton Park, Liverpool, and none at all at the reduced-capacity football at Wembley Stadium, indicating that summer festivals, sporting events and entertainments held outdoors are very safe.
  • Nine cases were found among 6,000 revellers who packed into a nightclub in Liverpool over two days without masks. The relatively higher incidence confirmed that clubbing is the toughest part of the night economy to bring back safely but is not seen as so high as to rule out the reopening of venues.

Burn your face nappies folks 

23 minutes ago, Homer said:

"The Standard understands that European Championship matches at Wembley stadium are likely to be included in the study, meaning fans could enjoy games amid the roar of a full-sized crowd."

After they’ve just cancelled a load of tickets?

Hmm - 24 hours until Dom of Barnard Castle Reveals All, is it?

Positive distraction tactics maybe.

Just now, Ryan1984 said:

I dunno - unless they recontact everyone after 21 June and offer them their tickets back?!

1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

I’m not sure, the news is full of the Islamophobia review into the Tory party. It could be a part of it though. 

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Jab DA kids

Morally speaking, do we think vaccines should only be given to under 18s if it has genuine health benefits to them in doing so? Rather than just to contain the spread of the virus in the wider population, or is that deemed ok too?

33 minutes ago, st dan said:

Morally speaking, do we think vaccines should only be given to under 18s if it has genuine health benefits to them in doing so? Rather than just to contain the spread of the virus in the wider population, or is that deemed ok too?

We’ve been giving (perfectly safe) flu vaccine routinely to kids for years as a means to reduce circulation of cases to protect the old/infirm. I don’t know why with the (perfectly safe) Covid vaccine suddenly people start debating it as a moral dilemma. Maybe because it’s in needle form rather than a nasal spray?

51 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I don't understand any of this stuff at all. If we open up, the virus is going to spread. That's not avoidable at this point unless the vaccines are way better at preventing transmission or the virus is way less transmissible than we thought.

All current government strategy seems to be based around the idea that that's true, but with the current low prevalence, the speed of vaccination and the low hospitalisation rates in the cohorts not yet vaccinated, we'll essentially be able to outpace even exponential growth in cases with vaccination, ensuring no capacity issues hit with the NHS.

(It also means we have a better shot at an eventual herd immunity as those who refuse the vaccine will end up catching it and developing a natural immunity)

Self-isolation, regular testing, testing for events and so on is all completely opposed to this. Those are strategies of containment. We are abandoning containment. We know that containment is impossible if things are open even in the way they are now. 

It's the same as the idea of requiring entry to events needing either a vaccination OR a negative test. Either one alone is good: because if everyone is vaccinated, you know that even if COVID circulates, people are unlikely to get ill. If everyone has a negative test, you know that no COVID is circulating. But making it "either/or" is pointless. Because tests don't stop you catching it and vaccines don't stop you spreading it.

We're a year into this and the government still don't want to actually tell us what the overarching strategy is here.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I don't understand any of this stuff at all. If we open up, the virus is going to spread. That's not avoidable at this point unless the vaccines are way better at preventing transmission or the virus is way less transmissible than we thought.

All current government strategy seems to be based around the idea that that's true, but with the current low prevalence, the speed of vaccination and the low hospitalisation rates in the cohorts not yet vaccinated, we'll essentially be able to outpace even exponential growth in cases with vaccination, ensuring no capacity issues hit with the NHS.

(It also means we have a better shot at an eventual herd immunity as those who refuse the vaccine will end up catching it and developing a natural immunity)

Self-isolation, regular testing, testing for events and so on is all completely opposed to this. Those are strategies of containment. We are abandoning containment. We know that containment is impossible if things are open even in the way they are now. 

It's the same as the idea of requiring entry to events needing either a vaccination OR a negative test. Either one alone is good: because if everyone is vaccinated, you know that even if COVID circulates, people are unlikely to get ill. If everyone has a negative test, you know that no COVID is circulating. But making it "either/or" is pointless. Because tests don't stop you catching it and vaccines don't stop you spreading it.

We're a year into this and the government still don't want to actually tell us what the overarching strategy is here.

If I was in charge, I'd still be using (albeit light touch) containment until the adult population have all had their second dose.  Especially when things like Bolton can happen. 

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

If I was in charge, I'd still be using (albeit light touch) containment until the adult population have all had their second dose.  Especially when things like Bolton can happen. 

I'd do it at least until 3 weeks after they've all had their first dose. But if that's not the strategy (and it isn't, as we're re-opening) it's pointless doing things like testing and tracing. 

17 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

In a few weeks it should be. Look at Israel. If we vaccinate enough then R can stay under 1 with less and less restrictions.