When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, st dan said:

Why on earth would Johnson listen to the Italian PM? He had to listen to the advice and the science he was receiving from his advisors - and it’s clear that was where the initial issue was.
It’s not for Johnson to go rogue and make his own decisions against the advice he was receiving, no leader is qualified to do that or should be making decisions like that on their own back. 

Because Italy was going through the first wave a few weeks ahead of us, it’s not hard to see why that advice would be valuable. Arguably more so than our own as it’s based on what is actually happening and the Italians mistakes.

There’s only so many times someone can be given advice, ignore that advice and expect to forgiven for it. 

4 minutes ago, duke88 said:

No wonder they're getting loads of no shows

My 33 year old wife has an appointment that she chased down and no letter, whilst I'm 36 and have neither letter nor appointment when I've chased it. This system is fucked.

1 hour ago, fraybentos1 said:

Makes sense to me... 

Indy sage will keep banging on about long covid in children etc it doesn't matter if hospitals are empty to them.

Indy sage also saying we should delay the roadmap till everyone has 2 doses which is like September, so missing all summer then you just know for sure that they will say with it being Autumn/ Winter we need more restrictions.

It does seem like some are way too pessimistic that they are blinded to how good these vaccines are and also that some people have forgotten that sometimes people die (especially old people). Our goal as a society cannot be to avoid all deaths. We need to get normal life back asap w/o overwhelming hospitals. 

I have been following the rules a decent amount for over a year now and my patience is running out. Over a year of my life has been serioulsy hampered by this and I don't want to make it 2.

I think the idea is to suppress the virus also - if it's stilling running a muck through society, but thankfully with far less hospitalizations, there's still a real risk of a mutation that is more resistant to vaccines.

It sucks but I suppose the goal is to make enough of an impact now so that we're not stuck chasing variants or otherwise for years to come.

8 minutes ago, mcshed said:

My 33 year old wife has an appointment that she chased down and no letter, whilst I'm 36 and have neither letter nor appointment when I've chased it. This system is fucked.

It made sense for the over50s I think but after that should have been an online booking system same as England. Concerning so many aren't showing up to the Hydro. The Hydro did a call out last Monday for anyone to come down and get one and I rushed down but was a few mins too late.

If you really think you should have one then I'd phone the helpline but guessing you've already done that.

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

On a serious note today - my eldest said she doesn't want social distancing to end as she quite like the space and doesn't want people near her.

Now while we can all appreciate that to some degree its a small example of how the kids minds are being altered.  She says she actually struggles to remember pre-covid life.  Both my 11 and 7 year olds say this.  This is their new norm.

I just think of some of my happiest days at gigs / football matches etc.  Its weird and a little worrying.  I presume they will snap back to normal as quickly as this became their "new normal" - might take a while though.   

Took me a back a bit - I didn't expect it from them.  I thought I had done a pretty good job of stopping this from "changing" them in the way lots of other parents have scared their own kids half to death.

Left me feeling a bit guilty I let this fuck them over.

I wouldn't beat yourself up too much. There's plenty of us that just don't like crowds and prefer people to keep their distance, we've existed before the pandemic and will continue to do so. Even some of us that love festivals and gigs and such love them despite, not because of, being crammed into a crowd. Obviously we don't want social distancing to continue - because we're still prevented from doing most things we like - but you grow up and you find the balance in terms of what situations you enjoy and what situations you don't. There's definitely going to be a readjustment for us but it'll happen. But it's not necessarily that the pandemic has changed her - it's could have just bought to the fore stuff that was already there, but as a kid in traditional times, you're told that wrong and so you're wrong and you should enjoy big social activities, and it's weird not to. People find their happiness in different places.

(And of course, you might be right, and in your case it *is* the pandemic that's done this, and you're better placed to judge than me obviously - just it's not necessarily that.)

47 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It was! Were you there?

Alas no, but The Parapod Movie screening in Birmingham was the last live thing I actually went to (a few days before lockdown) and Ian was talking about the live show on Patreon - apparently it was a combination of it having not sold great in the first place, then having a lot of returns. 

I was going to mention it on here anyway as it's sort of interesting as does put paid to the "people are so desperate they'll go to anything" idea a few people are floating around - there's clearly still a lot of hesitancy even towards socially distanced gigs like this - their previous live shows, albeit in much smaller venues, sold out in hours, so there's still a significant hesitancy effect going on out there. Just reopening without public confidence isn't going to be enough.

52 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I think the Cummings comments so far are pretty damaging for Johnson, there’s plenty in there that are very damning. Such as the Italian PM telling Johnson to lockdown, Johnson ignoring that advice till it was too late. A good leader would’ve been able to see the different advice and make the difficult decisions for the greater good; all this paints Johnson as the worst PM at the worst possible time.  

There is that - but on the other hand, he drove a forklift through a 'wall' with 'Brexit' written on it - which was a real plus for a lot of his base.

6 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Alas no, but The Parapod Movie screening in Birmingham was the last live thing I actually went to (a few days before lockdown) and Ian was talking about the live show on Patreon - apparently it was a combination of it having not sold great in the first place, then having a lot of returns. 

I was going to mention it on here anyway as it's sort of interesting as does put paid to the "people are so desperate they'll go to anything" idea a few people are floating around - there's clearly still a lot of hesitancy even towards socially distanced gigs like this - their previous live shows, albeit in much smaller venues, sold out in hours, so there's still a significant hesitancy effect going on out there. Just reopening without public confidence isn't going to be enough.

Yeah we saw it back in Feb at the premiere and had tickets to see it again, but that was cancelled due to Covid. It is brilliant - hope you get to see it soon! 

I was surprised by how empty it was. Weather was god awful too, though, so I do wonder if it had an effect. We still had fun!

Despite a lot of the pessimism around at the moment, this week just gone has felt like my most normal since this began I reckon. Take away the masks and the volunteering on Wednesday (and the working from home all week as I'd probably usually go in once or twice) and I went to three gym classes, one event and one meal indoors yesterday with mates followed by a few hours chatting shit and drinking pints in the pub. Was bloody lovely.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah we saw it back in Feb at the premiere and had tickets to see it again, but that was cancelled due to Covid.

Ahh nice - yeah I was at the London premiere too! Saw it the second time in Birmingham 

16 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Melbourne back in “prepare for more lockdowns” after 4 (four!) new local cases have been discovered. 

My mate is in almost the same situ in Singapore. Handful of cases and they've gone into a really strict lockdown for a month. Can't even drink or dine outdoors. He's got the outdoor gym but that's pretty much it - and that's always rammed.

He reckons there is an obsession with the antipodes and Singa of having zero Covid, almost like they are competing.

24 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Have you got any reason to believe that this is actually caused by fear and not just people being reluctant to splash out for some heavily watered down experience though? I’d happily go to a normal gig tomorrow if the restrictions were lifted, but why would I pay £30 to go to a gig where everyone’s wearing a face mask and you need to stay 1m away?