When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

If you're over 30 and not had yours you can try the missing appointment web page and it might work for you- it worked for my brother. 

The blue envelopes was a good idea for the oldies but I agree would much rather just an online booking system and texts for the younger ones.

I popped my details into the missing appointment thing yesterday and still haven't heard back, hopefully soon.

5 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

It's a proper ball ache.

Different center's pop up each time I refresh and basically show appointments which don't actually exist 😂

Is there a time of day which is better than other times or?

Nows probably not the best time - 32 year olds got their text this morning. 
Possibly when they open it up to the next bracket (prob 30/31) but before they’re made aware- Id imagine that will be tomorrow or Wednesday but someone on this thread will likely give the heads up.

7 minutes ago, mcshed said:

I popped my details into the missing appointment thing yesterday and still haven't heard back, hopefully soon.

By brother is 29 in Glasgow and he did it and got a letter for an appointment on June 4th I think it is. Don't think he likes me being 4 years younger and already got mine before him.

Humza Yousef was saying the other day they are looking to ramp things up over the next couple weeks so hopefully that is true!

20 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I really wouldn't cancel appointments to get better times and dates.  Situation is only going to get worse not better.

Yeah I agree with this - I know people are desperate for it but the reality is prevalence is very low, and apart from the very specific situation of wanting to travel, a few extra days won't get normal life back any quicker (unless you're waiting for 2 doses to do stuff of course) as its not currently tied to vaccination rates 

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Andrew Pollard, Director of the Oxford Vaccine Group,  said this morning that if vaccines are able to stop people going into hospital, "then the pandemic is over because we can live with the virus". 

Professor Pollard told the Today programme:  "It doesn't matter if most people are kept out of hospital because then the NHS can continue to function. And life will be back to normal."

From the Telegraph -  Pagel rage incoming 😛 

Stop being sexist 

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Andrew Pollard, Director of the Oxford Vaccine Group,  said this morning that if vaccines are able to stop people going into hospital, "then the pandemic is over because we can live with the virus". 

Professor Pollard told the Today programme:  "It doesn't matter if most people are kept out of hospital because then the NHS can continue to function. And life will be back to normal."

From the Telegraph -  Pagel rage incoming 😛 

Makes sense to me... 

Indy sage will keep banging on about long covid in children etc it doesn't matter if hospitals are empty to them.

Indy sage also saying we should delay the roadmap till everyone has 2 doses which is like September, so missing all summer then you just know for sure that they will say with it being Autumn/ Winter we need more restrictions.

It does seem like some are way too pessimistic that they are blinded to how good these vaccines are and also that some people have forgotten that sometimes people die (especially old people). Our goal as a society cannot be to avoid all deaths. We need to get normal life back asap w/o overwhelming hospitals. 

I have been following the rules a decent amount for over a year now and my patience is running out. Over a year of my life has been serioulsy hampered by this and I don't want to make it 2.

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

I don't think so - at least not without the sort of testing requirements that wouldn't be feasible for an event the size of Glastonbury.

Who knows what conditions might have got imposed. My point was that the situation would have come good by about the end of June which always looked a realistic possibility.

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

I think it's where the festival group think kicks in here - we can see it easily from the way people here, even those that want everything dropped right now, are still saying "we should probably still have restrictions on international travel though". For the rest of the population it's similar but it's "we should probably still have restrictions on events of 50000+ people though". 

Glastonbury is the largest mass-gathering in the country, there's no way it'd go ahead a few days after restrictions were "lifted" - even if the government had to invent a special case for why.

Was that Parapod Live by any chance?

13 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Pagel should go and spend a couple of hours working in a secondary school and look at the reality of some of the issues that have been caused by her lot winning the argument on closing schools.  The kids aren't alright.

One thing that I haven’t seen mentioned in the roadmap is when the school bubble system will end. Hopefully 21st June. 

We were able to switch to social distancing and given time will be able to switch back …. For some it might take longer but it’s about being aware of these people and helping them … even for me I find it difficult with people getting close at the moment but I know it won’t last forever 

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Took me a back a bit - I didn't expect it from them.  I thought I had done a pretty good job of stopping this from "changing" them in the way lots of other parents have scared their own kids half to death.

One of the worst things I’ve seen during the pandemic (apart from obviously the death and suffering) was on the first day kids went back to school after lockdown 1. 
A young boy was stood outside the school gates with a mask on, the only kid in school with a mask on baring in mind this was June, he looked absolutely petrified and hesitated every time he moved towards the gates. His eyes kept darting around looking for anyone he recognised before he felt safe enough to go in. 
Poor kid had been scared witless by his parents. 

24 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Covid: Parts of England to trial self-isolation support https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57221740

This should be where some of the public inquiry looks - "trialling" it now they won't have to pay as much is horrible. I'd go as far as to say the lack of this support is one of the main reasons we've needed lockdowns of the lengths we have 

I'd love to see the meeting minutes for when this was discussed. I imagine it was dismissed for ideological reasons ("people shouldn't be paid for doing nothing") and also would show up their real thoughts on the poor ("they'll go out and catch it deliberately for the money and time off") 

6 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Blue envelope seems ridiculous

Considering text messages seem to work fine here in the 21st century it's a bit baffling really

2 hours ago, DeanoL said:

I don't think so - at least not without the sort of testing requirements that wouldn't be feasible for an event the size of Glastonbury.

I think it's where the festival group think kicks in here - we can see it easily from the way people here, even those that want everything dropped right now, are still saying "we should probably still have restrictions on international travel though". For the rest of the population it's similar but it's "we should probably still have restrictions on events of 50000+ people though". 

Glastonbury is the largest mass-gathering in the country, there's no way it'd go ahead a few days after restrictions were "lifted" - even if the government had to invent a special case for why.

Was that Parapod Live by any chance?

It was! Were you there?

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Dominic Cummings is still going.

The problem with blaming the tories specifically for the early failures is that no matter who was in government, Patrick Vallance would still have been chief scientific advisor and still would have given terrible advice to the government. 
Anything after lockdown 1 you can blame the tories for what happened to different extents, but i square most of the blame for the first wave on SAGE and particularly Sir Patrick Vallance.

Edited by BobWillis2

I don’t know if it’s his intention, but Cummins’ tweets are actually painting Johnson in an ok light I feel.  
Rather they are highlighting the complete chaos behind the scenes. It seemed like it was almost impossible for him to take clear, decisive actions earlier than he did, because the ‘advice’ he was getting was a complete and utter shambles.  

Edited by st dan

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

I don’t know if it’s his intention, but Cummins’ tweets are actually painting Johnson in an ok light I feel.  
Rather they are highlighting the complete chaos behind the scenes. It seemed like it was almost impossible for him to take clear, decisive actions earlier than he did, because the ‘advice’ he was getting was a complete and utter shambles.  

Wait til he gets to October! 

I think the Cummings comments so far are pretty damaging for Johnson, there’s plenty in there that are very damning. Such as the Italian PM telling Johnson to lockdown, Johnson ignoring that advice till it was too late. A good leader would’ve been able to see the different advice and make the difficult decisions for the greater good; all this paints Johnson as the worst PM at the worst possible time.  

• Downvote 1

It’s funny how the same political commentators who were saying last year that Cummings was de facto running the country and not Boris and threw all sorts of shit at him for breaking policies that ‘he had brought in’ are now desperate for him to bring down the government because it’s now Boris Johnson’s fault and he was actually running the country after all. 

Just now, Ozanne said:

I think the Cummings comments so far are pretty damaging for Johnson, there’s plenty in there that are very damning. Such as the Italian PM telling Johnson to lockdown, Johnson ignoring that advice till it was too late. A good leader would’ve been able to see the different advice and make the difficult decisions for the greater good; all this paints Johnson as the worst PM at the worst possible time.  

Why on earth would Johnson listen to the Italian PM? He had to listen to the advice and the science he was receiving from his advisors - and it’s clear that was where the initial issue was.
It’s not for Johnson to go rogue and make his own decisions against the advice he was receiving, no leader is qualified to do that or should be making decisions like that on their own back.