When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

12 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Have you been anywhere before or after the cup final or mixed with others?

If so, then what's the point of the exercise. You could pick it up anywhere in mean time not at or travelling to / from the event 

You could account for that by comparing it to the average infection rate in the general public. It's not going to be perfect but if the infection rate was 10 times higher than the local area then you'd see it had caused a spike in cases. Equally, you could have 100 people test positive, but if that is what you would expect from the local rate then it wouldn't point to an issue from the event.

There are basically two ways to prevent yourself becoming seriously ill with covid-19

A - Stop yourself catching it altogether by avoiding unnecessary contact with others, working from home, not meeting family and friends, covering your face and ventilating the room etc

B - Equip your body with the tools necessary to fight off covid easily by eating healthily, losing weight, exercising, not smoking, cutting down on alcohol, getting enough sleep and having good mental health.

Unfortunately a lot of these things actually contradict one another and for me it’s regrettable that the government has prioritised A over B. For anyone under 70, I would say B is a better option, given that most covid deaths in under 70’s are obese. Over 70’s have a high IFR regardless of underlying health issues so A is a better option. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

There are basically two ways to prevent yourself becoming seriously ill with covid-19

A - Stop yourself catching it altogether by avoiding unnecessary contact with others, working from home, not meeting family and friends, covering your face and ventilating the room etc

B - Equip your body with the tools necessary to fight off covid easily by eating healthily, losing weight, exercising, not smoking, cutting down on alcohol, getting enough sleep and having good mental health.

Unfortunately a lot of these things actually contradict one another and for me it’s regrettable that the government has prioritised A over B. For anyone under 70, I would say B is a better option, given that most covid deaths in under 70’s are obese. Over 70’s have a high IFR regardless of underlying health issues so A is a better option. 

Be careful, too much common sense here. Most people don't want to take responsibility for their own health; they'd rather live their sedentary, unhealthy lives and be fed pills by big pharma

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

another good way is getting a vaccine.

I'm not knocking the jabs; they're a great thing. But the fact that the government didn't encourage or promote more healthy lifestyles at all during the pandemic is telling. Not just for covid where your chance of dying of it is ten times greater if you're obese, but all the other obesity-related deaths that happen every year which put strain on the NHS. As someone mentioned, running is an easy way to be healthy and extend your life expectancy, yet Parkrun is currently struggling to start up again in the interests of public health. It's backwards. At one point it was illegal to go to the gym but legal to go to Mcdonalds and buy cigarettes, even though smoking is responsible for 80,000 deaths a year in this country and obesity 40,000. Those two together make up the Covid deaths.

Edited by ryan1992

27 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

C - Get vaccinated

25 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Unfortunately a lot of these things actually contradict one another

Do they? We've had the gyms/exercise debate before, but I'm not sure how (other than the mental health issues - but that's not a COVID risk factor) the others factor in?

With less time spent commuting I'm able to exercise more, with food delivery rather than going to the supermarket I'm less likely to pick up some desert just because it looks nice, and with the pubs closed I was drinking less (not that I was a big drinker to start with!

I do hope that post-COVID, there's a bit more emphasis on B though - there's a reason our death rates are higher than most of Europe.

24 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I know but you didn't say that hence my reply.

Its also looking more and more likely the COVID vaccines are going to give us something close to the outcome of these other vaccines.

My entire point was that there was an argument for delaying opening up until we're at that outcome!

37 minutes ago, ryan1992 said:

I'm not knocking the jabs; they're a great thing. But the fact that the government didn't encourage or promote more healthy lifestyles at all during the pandemic is telling. Not just for covid where your chance of dying of it is ten times greater if you're obese, but all the other obesity-related deaths that happen every year which put strain on the NHS. As someone mentioned, running is an easy way to be healthy and extend your life expectancy, yet Parkrun is currently struggling to start up again in the interests of public health. It's backwards. At one point it was illegal to go to the gym but legal to go to Mcdonalds and buy cigarettes, even though smoking is responsible for 80,000 deaths a year in this country. 

I think a huge part of that is that at no point did anyone realise this was going to go on this long. Had we known in March 2020 we'd still be here over a year later, it would absolutely have made sense. But at every stage it's been "this will be done in a few months" and realistically, the health benefits you could get against COVID by exercising for a couple of months are limited.

31 minutes ago, ryan1992 said:

I'm not knocking the jabs; they're a great thing. But the fact that the government didn't encourage or promote more healthy lifestyles at all during the pandemic is telling. Not just for covid where your chance of dying of it is ten times greater if you're obese, but all the other obesity-related deaths that happen every year which put strain on the NHS. As someone mentioned, running is an easy way to be healthy and extend your life expectancy, yet Parkrun is currently struggling to start up again in the interests of public health. It's backwards. At one point it was illegal to go to the gym but legal to go to Mcdonalds and buy cigarettes, even though smoking is responsible for 80,000 deaths a year in this country and obesity 40,000. Those two together make up the Covid deaths.

To be fair they started a health drive in the summer with the PM wanting to focus on the nation losing weight so there was something.

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

To be fair they started a health drive in the summer with the PM wanting to focus on the nation losing weight so there was something.

And 2 for 1 meals, so they weren't trying that hard with the health thing!

50 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

We going to be a nation of facist fitness freaks?

I’m not sure it’s fascist to suggest that healthier lifestyles lead to stronger immune systems. People are free to choose how they live, of course, and they’re entitled to “chunter from a sedentary position”. But choices are consequential.

I say that as somebody who’s probably more at risk due to an especially sedentary lifestyle over the last year. 

Edited by kalifire

1 hour ago, ryan1992 said:

To be fair to the government, they have been very supportive of parkrun trying to restart. I'm run director of a junior parkrun, and it's the local (Tory!) council which has prevented us from restarting (junior events could are already able to take place). The government and parkrun have devised a framework for holding events safely, yet the city council were not satisfied with that. So we can't restart. It's all been very frustrating. Seems the council is happy for every other sport and business to operate using guidelines from the government, but not parkrun, which has huge benefits for so many people.