When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

6 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

Seriously, if posters on here are spreading misinformation like "long covid isn't real, people are just hypochondriacs" after there is so much evidence of contrary, this long into the pandemic. Like seriously @Fuzzy Afro , this shit is so dangerous. Normally on social media sites, you can be banned for spreading such blatant misinformation.

It’s a completely stupid claim from him. He’s happy to dump on long COVID sufferers yet was constantly complaining about restrictions last Autumn as he couldn’t see his partner.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Do you support continued lockdown restrictions aimed purely at stopping people getting long covid? 

I support not letting covid rip through the population. The best way is to contain and prevent.

Why should young unvaccinated people just take this shit on the chin. 

9 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

The army. And yes I understand this would have reduced the quality of care available. But it’s better than nothing. 

Almost all the military doctors already work in the NHS - they are not extra. The only extra personnel that could have been deployed and diverted were trauma medics who wouldn't have a clue. That is in addition to the medic teams already deployed in various arenas throughout the world. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Whether long covid exists or not (Debateable but I tend to think it's the domain of hypochondriacs) we can surely all agree that at the very least, lockdown restrictions aimed at reducing long covid are unnecessary and disproportionate.

Lots of people think that mental health sufferers are in the domain of hypochondriacs and that they should just 'pull themselves together'. 

Just as valid (or not) as your assertion.

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Whether long covid exists or not (Debateable but I tend to think it's the domain of hypochondriacs) we can surely all agree that at the very least, lockdown restrictions aimed at reducing long covid are unnecessary and disproportionate.

As always, you have a Germ of a point which you ruin by the way you express it.

Long covid is clearly a real thing. 

Some idiots like Pagel are exaggerating the number of cases (especially in children) because they want zero covid.

We should bear long covid in mind but that alone based on current numbers isn't enough IMO to justify keeping restrictions in place longer

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I think people are over egging the long covid stuff.  Any excuse not to go work.  Look at @steviewevie - any excuses to throw a sickie 

Yeah it exists but it always has...  post viral recovery isn't a new issue 

Its a Novel virus, so no one knows the full details! There is enough evdience for us to see that it is a real thing though which we have to bear in mind

The vaccination rollout in the UK is really something to be applauded. I’m pretty sure local councils, hospitals and vaccination hubs deserve the majority of that applause (rather than the Westminster government) but either way it’s genuinely impressive 👍

1 hour ago, st dan said:

The NHS management completely overhauled almost every hospital in the country, to create Covid wards in any available space they could. They did an amazing job with that. Also, when we are at the peak of each wave, staff members were ringing in with either symptoms or needing to isolate on a daily basis. It was a complete crisis having to contingency plan on an almost hourly basis. Absolutely no blame should be attached to any of them - their main focus has always been protecting as many lives as possible. 

It’s also a myth that people with cancer symptoms have been left to suffer silently. Throughout the pandemic if you suspected anything unusual or had specific symptoms, then you would have been seen and referred if appropriate. I think individuals have sadly taken it upon themselves to not contact their GP until it’s too late, maybe thinking they didn’t want to ‘bother’ them, but that isn’t the fault of the NHS. 

Agreed - we've had two relatives and one friend diagnosed with cancer during the whole crisis. Two last spring, one in summer. All have received treatment throughout, although one had delays to surgery due to it being assessed covid was a greater risk than her cancer at that stage. They were right as she now has all clear. And my friend on chemo has never had her treatment stopped or delayed. Appreciate some might have been overlooked but that has not been our experience, with cancer very much a backdrop to the whole covid worries. 

29 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Better 

2nd highest day since we began vaccinating with 752,308 being the highest on 20th March.

Would not surprise me if we manage to beat that tomorrow.

Question is how high will we get before the usual weekend lag!

Edit - just realised I was looking at first doses so ignore me 😂

Edited by JoeyT

1 hour ago, ace56blaa said:

Seriously, if posters on here are spreading misinformation like "long covid isn't real, people are just hypochondriacs" after there is so much evidence of contrary, this long into the pandemic. Like seriously @Fuzzy Afro , this shit is so dangerous. Normally on social media sites, you can be banned for spreading such blatant misinformation.

he posts a lot of bollocks but that's got to be right up there.

• Upvote 1

Prof Andrew Hayward, a member of the government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies, said he was “very concerned” about the India variant due to its ability to spread quickly. Asked if the UK was at the start of a third wave, he said:

I think so. I think what we can see is that this strain can circulate very effectively, although it was originally imported through travel to India. It’s spread fairly effectively, first of all within households and now more broadly within communities, so I don’t really see why it wouldn’t continue to spread in other parts of the country.

Obviously we’re doing everything we can to contain the spread of that, but it’s likely that more generalised measures may start to be needed to control it.

Government experts have always said that the easing of lockdown restrictions would lead to an upsurge in cases, or a third wave. But what has always been uncertain is whether this will be mild or severe, and there is still no consensus on that because of uncertainty about the threat posed by the India variant.

6 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Table service

I'm not joking either - it's mentioned in the article

Ha, I was going to add 'table service?!' but thought it was too ridiculous!

Ta, I missed the link - will read it now...

7 minutes ago, Homer said:

Ha, I was going to add 'table service?!' but thought it was too ridiculous!

Ta, I missed the link - will read it now...

I knew we'd maybe need some measures at festivals but i was thinking in crowd control terms. Table service and an individual toilet for every camping pitch is just mental - if you have to go to those lengths, which indicates a threat far greater than there will actually be come July, should you really be putting a festival on anyway? 

It's innovative though to be fair! 

21 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Amazing stuff. If we'd have been told back at the turn of the year that we'd be seeing cautiously assessed, real world data like that in May we'd all have been weeping with joy.