When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

From politicio

The Spectator’s Katy Balls has a well-informed piece out today in which she reports Johnson is unpersuaded the variant means a delay to lockdown easing and thinks some of the gloom of the past few days has been overdone. Beth Rigby hears the same, quoting a senior minister who says Johnson “will move heaven and earth to stick to that date” of June 21. Playbook is told the PM’s view isn’t much different to previous stages of the pandemic: he hates lockdown, will lift restrictions as planned if it’s at all possible, and is only going to deviate from the roadmap to prevent a health disaster — which, as things stand, is not where we’re at.

People aged 34 and 35 can now book their vaccine appointment. The Telegraph’s Laura Donnelly reckons people in their early-20s could get the call up “in the first weeks of next month,” with all over-18s jabbed by the end of June. Ben Riley-Smith reckons No. 10 is working with Tinder and other apps to encourage vaccine uptake among young people, with users getting a blue tick if they’ve had the jab.

Northern Ireland allowing 25-29 year olds to book as of this morning (20,000 slots a week). You can choose to have AZ if you wish.

I'm booked in for Tuesday night and my fiancee is booked for Thursday night, both Pfizer. There was a little wave of excitement seeing the booking confirmed screen!

• Like 1

The problem with the current situation is that the news cycle/social media demands  play by play commentary on the equivalent of a paint drying contest. The news moves quicker than that data and they look for any noise both positive and negative to fill the silence. 

Its probably going to be fine, but no point making calls now. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Gregfc15 said:

The problem with the current situation is that the news cycle/social media demands  play by play commentary on the equivalent of a paint drying contest. The news moves quicker than that data and they look for any noise both positive and negative to fill the silence. 

Its probably going to be fine, but no point making calls now. 

Agree with this, everytime I tune into the news there seems to be another report on lockdown/restrictions lifting quicker or being slowed down, various variants, stuff about flying abroad etc etc.  

Its starting to become a little bit like Brexit where the news is just overkill and when there is a low day on actual real news to do with it the web pages and news bulletins are filled with stuff being blown out of all proportion.

Me and my gf decided a while back to just watch one news bulletin per day now (BBC at 10pm) as it was becoming too much!

33 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

As if the future monarch has waited all this time for the jab 🙂  Got to love a bit of national bullshitting 😄 

I agree - that may be his second dose but I can’t see that the future king has been waiting for a call all of this time! They must think we are stupid.

19 minutes ago, stuie said:

I agree - that may be his second dose but I can’t see that the future king has been waiting for a call all of this time! They must think we are stupid.

It's up there with the queen getting hers weeks after the rollout started. At least this is very slightly more believable than leaving someone who's nearly  100 unprotected for a month 

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

It's up there with the queen getting hers weeks after the rollout started. At least this is very slightly more believable than leaving someone who's nearly  100 unprotected for a month 

Although don’t forget it’s much easier to distance in a castle or palace … and I’m sure those around her would have had access to testing quite a bit earlier than the general population … she’s hardly nipping to her local Asda for a loaf of bread 🥖 

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

I don't know a single parent who would read that and not be worried.  It caused me to double check WTF she is on about.  Seems around 10% have some sort of lasting symptom 5 weeks after covid and a even smaller amount 12 weeks after covid.  Nothing mentioned beyond that. 

Reports of kids being tired (lazy??) / or loss of smell or taste.

I wouldn't want it for my kid (obviously) but once you turn your head on you realise - she is massively over blowing a small issue.  You get similar stuff after a nasty flu.

Fucking hate people using kids and parental worries to serve their own agendas.

and 10% of next to nothing is next to nothing. She can also do one with the long covid nonsense, its viral fatigue and is nothing new. 

WHO Europe chief: authorised vaccines effective against all variants of concern

Progress against the coronavirus pandemic remains “fragile” and international travel should be avoided, the World Health Organization’s Europe director warned on Thursday, but stressed that authorised vaccines do work against variants of concern.

“Right now, in the face of a continued threat and new uncertainty, we need to continue to exercise caution, and rethink or avoid international travel,” Hans Kluge said, adding that “pockets of increasing transmission” on the continent could quickly spread.

The so-called Indian variant, which may be more transmissible, has now been identified in at least 26 of the 53 countries in the WHO Europe region, Kluge said during his weekly press conference.

But, AFP report, he said that authorised vaccines are effective against the new strain.

“All Covid-19 virus variants that have emerged so far do respond to the available, approved vaccines,” Kluge said, adding that all Covid-19 variants can be controlled with the same public health and social measures used until now.

So far only 23 percent of people in the region have received a vaccine dose, with just 11 percent having had both doses, Kluge said, as he warned citizens to continue to exercise caution.

“Vaccines may be a light at the end of the tunnel, but we cannot be blinded by that light,” he said.

42 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Manchester way above the average in the UK for eating out during the last week...

How has he jumped to that conclusion. The rise in cases from last week and before cannot be related to something that happened after they started rising?? Things only opened 3 days ago....  and he is trying to say seated dining is to blame? im confused haha 

5 minutes ago, Havors said:

and 10% of next to nothing is next to nothing. She can also do one with the long covid nonsense, its viral fatigue and is nothing new. 

Is that based on any medical  knowledge or just a gut feeling ? … 

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Is that based on any medical  knowledge or just a gut feeling ? … 

Are you implying I need to be a Doctor to have an opinion? 😉 

It's actually just based on being able to read and form an opinion 😄 

https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/features/long-covid-chronig-fatigue/#:~:text='Long Covid' has become shorthand,are now occurring is unprecedented.

3 minutes ago, Havors said:

Are you implying I need to be a Doctor to have an opinion? 😉 

It's actually just based on being able to read and form an opinion 😄 

https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/features/long-covid-chronig-fatigue/#:~:text='Long Covid' has become shorthand,are now occurring is unprecedented.

Nope based on not knowing the answer … and seeing that money had been put aside to help … so interested to see where that has come from as I’d seen nothing to that effect … not every question has an alterior motive ? 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Nope based on not knowing the answer … and seeing that money had been put aside to help … so interested to see where that has come from as I’d seen nothing to that effect … not every question has an alterior motive ? 

haha oh come on, there was definitely undertones there surely!? 😄😄😉