When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

I wonder who influences the govt most … real sage … ? Independent sage ? The covid recovery group ? Business people with Boris phone number … or Boris just does his own thing anyway and let’s the bodies pile up !! Personally I’m more concerned about some of the stuff going on that influences policy that we don’t see going on …. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Politics does....

So they obvously listen to SAGE but if I-Sage is scaring everyone then you end up with pointless things like masks in schools for example 

Which have now been dropped as we move forward 

11 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I wonder who influences the govt most … real sage … ? Independent sage ? The covid recovery group ? Business people with Boris phone number … or Boris just does his own thing anyway and let’s the bodies pile up !! Personally I’m more concerned about some of the stuff going on that influences policy that we don’t see going on …. 

The government take ages to follow real SAGE’s advice let alone advice from Indy SAGE 😂

11 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I think old Dominic of Barnard Castle is going to tell us more about that next week! 

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

It has... time to get back to following the science and not the fear 

If we followed some of the science we might have imposed restrictions earlier …. But Boris chose to ignore … just like he can equally choose to ignore Indy sage … and listen to Tim Wetherspoon 

38 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Thanks guys. It's giving me a mass hub in Portsmouth (a mile or so away) for 1st dose but only Brighton, Reading or Wimbledon for the 2nd dose. I'll keep trying, and will call my GP if nothing turns up.

I actually got the GP text at lunchtime and am now booked in for the first jab lunchtime tomorrow. It said second would be arranged by the GP.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I think data would have to be pretty bloody bad for Johnson to postpone June 21st date, but we'll see. This place would go into meltdown if he did.

I'll go into meltdown if it's postponed. All the rules and restrictions (plus extra, poorly thought out systems imposed by head office) are making my job much harder than it needs to be. 21st June is the only thing stopping me walking into Windermere. 

Reading this morning concerning reports that our borough - Oadby & Wigston, Leicestershire is a hotspot with surging cases of B1617.2 representing 75% of cases.

WTF I thought - we have been doing so well recently after a rough 14 months alongside Leicester. Papers reporting -

Daily Express - surging/swathes of infection

Metro - surging

Telegraph - hotspots

Digging deeper I’ve now decided (for the moment, here at least) this is very positive news for such a virulent strain!

The sequencing reports are up to the 8th May and considering the length of time from sample to sequence testing I would think these would be from tests carried out around the end of April.

Screenshot shows current cases, ranked at 124 - it’s not exactly ripping through here in the last 19 days!

F4A2D1B8-D4E9-4B60-9BE6-AE4F283A507B.jpeg

Edited by onthebeach

34 minutes ago, Hannibal Schmitt said:

Austrian Government celebrating opening in Vienna`s Schweizerhaus. By the way, if you get the chance for a Wiener Schnitzel and an open beer do not miss this! (and don`t get the picture fooled you, our minister Kogler on the right can drink everyone under the table).

46-177891251.jpg

In my (very well timed) reckless year of travel around Asia and Europe in 2019, Ottakringer was one of my  very favourite beers that I discovered. Can't find it in the UK anywhere 

13 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

In my (very well timed) reckless year of travel around Asia and Europe in 2019, Ottakringer was one of my  very favourite beers that I discovered. Can't find it in the UK anywhere 

Yeah, Ottakringer is class. There is a darker one (brown) which is called Wiener Original. Its more expensive, but worth every penny. Guess we have more luck, as you can find UK beer here from time to time, mostly at Lidl. (Brewdog Punk IPA, Pedigree, Greene King and the Hog Goblin). But I think they are drinking Most, which is a bit like Cider and comes from apples from farmers (sorry for being off topic).

19 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Fake sage giving advice on how to manage a pandemic is like me walking into the crucible and putting 50p on the table 

Makes it into the papers but doesn't change what the people in charge are doing?

4 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Makes it into the papers but doesn't change what the people in charge are doing?

Due to their profile it helps to shape public opinion - and considering its a populist government there's always a risk they'll end up doing what they suggest if it shifts too far

Plus they scare people  

Edited by efcfanwirral
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

For my moneys worth...  All these dramatic terms seem to be describing the India version replacing the Kent version.  Its not actually adding extra cases - just when you get a case its now more likely to India than Kent.

Yes, I agree.

Sorry - I perhaps wasn’t explaining my points better

MSM scaremongering - average reader wouldn’t look beyond the headlines and find out the reality of the situation for their area - but that’s the same old story

B1617.2 is not as virulent as first thought - at least here and for now in the last 19 days. If I have time I might extrapolate the figures for the other ‘new’ hotspot areas to see if it’s also not surging in total overall cases

Isn’t all of this likely to be a case that B1617.2 may very well be more transmissible than other variants, but it simply isn’t getting past the antibodies once it is hitting the vaccinated? And therefore isn’t able to spread to great effect?
If this variant was around and vaccines still hadn’t been rolled out then we’d be in big trouble, but as that isn’t the case there isn’t any real cause for panic? 

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations?areaType=region&areaName=North West

Finding this very interesting to have a play around with. Can't take TOO much from the % uptake by area until everyone has been offered though due to demographics (took me a good few minutes to work that out) - some areas are simply weighted towards older people.

Some areas have 70% first doses including my area and that doesn't surprise me as very few younger people live here, whereas Manchester on 44% (taking in the city centre and student areas) is the sort of place the younger people leave my area to go and live / study, like I did.  So from my very personal example there the numbers make sense and check out. 

But it is very interesting dataset still, and will get more interesting as time goes on. 

Just to note again % uptake is the WHOLE population NOT those eligible and offered, so demographics matter 

Edited by efcfanwirral