When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

England and Scotland kept a substantial portion back for second doses just in case of an unexpected supply problem. Wales had a less prudent approach and assumed no supply issue would arise so they fired literally every dose into arms ASAP. Their gamble seems to have paid off as supply has been very good. 

Jinx

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm going to be focussing on whether Bolton continues to flatten over the next few days.  Given the concern over the variant, I think it's a mistake to be looking at the country as a whole where there really isn't much of a problem.  It's a bit like looking at the doubling last August and dismissing it because absolute numbers are small.  Exponential growth has a way of not caring about absolute numbers - if there's doubling, then tiny can turn into massive quite suddenly.

But Bolton is showing hints of not growing exponentially over the last couple of days, keep that up and we should be in a great position - and then it makes sense to return to look at the national figures.

ihope somone flattens bolton it doesnt even have to be ibn the next few daYS THEY COULD FLATTEN BOLTON ANTIME.

10 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm going to be focussing on whether Bolton continues to flatten over the next few days.  Given the concern over the variant, I think it's a mistake to be looking at the country as a whole where there really isn't much of a problem.  It's a bit like looking at the doubling last August and dismissing it because absolute numbers are small.  Exponential growth has a way of not caring about absolute numbers - if there's doubling, then tiny can turn into massive quite suddenly.

But Bolton is showing hints of not growing exponentially over the last couple of days, keep that up and we should be in a great position - and then it makes sense to return to look at the national figures.

could be weekend reporting is the reason for the flattening?

20 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Hospitalisations in Bolton too - ignoring Sunday's strange talk about it, it doesn't sound like that hospital is currently in danger of being overrun. If that's still the case in two weeks then it will be looking good

18 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

ihope somone flattens bolton it doesnt even have to be ibn the next few daYS THEY COULD FLATTEN BOLTON ANTIME.

Haha my girlfriend lived there for a few years and would 100% agree with you! 

21 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Meanwhile in the Telegraph and in another episode of "Carry on Covid in the UK"...

3-hour queues at Heathrow as ‘terrified’ passengers mix with red-listed arrivals

carry_on_camping.jpg

So they're only "terrified" if they mix with people from other countries than the one they were more than comfortable travelling to... (I know some work etc but any leisure travellers took on a healthy dose of risk when they went abroad in the first place). Bet they're vaccinated too but still terrified...

11 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Mr Lockdown speaks...

speaking of Denmark:

In Denmark there are no further restrictions. As of Friday, almost all facilities that are still closed will be reopened - except for nightclubs and discos. The Danish government agreed on this on Tuesday night with a large majority of the parliamentary parties (Standard).

Just now, Hannibal Schmitt said:

speaking of Denmark:

In Denmark there are no further restrictions. As of Friday, almost all facilities that are still closed will be reopened - except for nightclubs and discos. The Danish government agreed on this on Tuesday night with a large majority of the parliamentary parties (Standard).

I'd say clubs etc being closed (and by extension live events) are still a restriction- it's whole industries and was part of society before, though I know most don't care for these things 

38 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

'Long Covid' largely a lot of hypochondriac shite? Who could have known!

That's not what the paper (pre-print) says at all. What it says is that coding for "long covid" is lower than the reported prevalence and that there is an urgent need to appropriately code symptoms to gain a clear picture of prevalence. The exact conclusion of the authors is "Long COVID coding in primary care is low compared with early reports of long COVID prevalence. This may reflect under-coding, sub-optimal communication of clinical terms, under-diagnosis, a true low prevalence of long COVID diagnosed by clinicians, or a combination of factors. We recommend increased awareness of diagnostic codes, to facilitate research and planning of services; and surveys of clinicians’ experiences, to complement ongoing patient surveys." That's quite some distance from "long covid is a load of hypochondriac shite"... (though truly low prevalence is one of the options). 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'd say clubs etc being closed (and by extension live events) are still a restriction- it's whole industries and was part of society before, though I know most don't care for these things 

Yeah, you are spot on. Clubs and Events will always be the last one to reopen if ever. Here in Austria we had so much cancellations or postponements to 2022 for this summer, from the street fair around the corner to the big events, festivals and concerts. Nightclubs will not be allowed to open until summer, but probably later. Also if situation improved fast and keeps on improving it will be a summer without them.

19 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Will get the vaccine but never intend on using this app. Will take a test for events and if its for pubs then unfortunately my pub going days are over for a while 

I'd imagine the app will also end up being where you keep your test result. If you get vaccinated though you should also be able to get a physical certificate from doctors/government if you don't want/have a smartphone.

16 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

I think she lacks any credibility to be frank.  She's just a rent a god.

Your real feeling shown at last!

• Downvote 1

14 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Utterly incredible that rent a gob thinks it’s appropriate to go on Indian TV to moan about a tiny rise in cases in the UK. when the locals are literally dying in the streets. Absolute weapon of a woman 

I mean, that's not really how TV shows work - you don't go out there calling them up and asking to go on. They come to you (or your agent) and ask the questions they want to ask. 

3 hours ago, Padgey said:

So a close friend of Mrs Padgey said yesterday her and her fella are not having the jab, her reasoning was that we don't know the long term effects of the vaccination, how it could potentially cause cancer in the future and she wants to be around for her 2 kids.  I decided to bite my lip as it's their choice but now just don't feel very comfortable with the situation, we are supposed to be meeting up with them next Saturday. 

Has anyone else been in a similar situation with close friends?

The only reply I've found remotely useful is to emphasise that they could be right, and we absolutely don't know if there's something weird in a vaccine that causes cancer 3 years later. But we also don't know if there's something weird in COVID that causes cancer 3 years later. The first vaccine trials are just a few months younger than the first COVID cases. We have no solid data on the long term effects of COVID or it's vaccines. And we're not going to eliminate it, it's one or the other.

The flip side of this is if they've already had COVID, then they sort of have a point? Has there been a single case of someone getting a mild case of COVID, then later getting re-infected and getting seriously ill with it? The immunity from catching it naturally isn't as good the immunity you get from the vaccine but it's decent, and you also know your body is capable of producing that immune reaction. (Assuming when they got it it was mild to start with!)

I can see a really strong selfish argument for not getting the vaccine if you've had COVID. (From a community point of view, we want everyone to take it to reduce transmission and help protect those who can't take it - but the benefits to the actual individual are close to non-existent).

• Upvote 1