When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

On the media and it’s role during the pandemic I can’t help but feel things like this although teasing “good news” isn’t good for those suffering mentally. Seems a bit weird? Why not share good news in amongst a whole heap of shite straightaway?

So they can get people to sign up.... 

So a close friend of Mrs Padgey said yesterday her and her fella are not having the jab, her reasoning was that we don't know the long term effects of the vaccination, how it could potentially cause cancer in the future and she wants to be around for her 2 kids.  I decided to bite my lip as it's their choice but now just don't feel very comfortable with the situation, we are supposed to be meeting up with them next Saturday. 

Has anyone else been in a similar situation with close friends?

7 minutes ago, Padgey said:

So a close friend of Mrs Padgey said yesterday her and her fella are not having the jab, her reasoning was that we don't know the long term effects of the vaccination, how it could potentially cause cancer in the future and she wants to be around for her 2 kids.  I decided to bite my lip as it's their choice but now just don't feel very comfortable with the situation, we are supposed to be meeting up with them next Saturday. 

My brother who is in his 40s as far as I'm aware has chosen not to be vaccinated as of yet.

Worse thing is he doesn't seem to have any reasons as to why he's refusing either which makes me even more angrier than having a reason you believe in even if that isn't based on anything.

I think he's had a few heated arguments with my Dad over his refusal as well.

He's always been a bit of helmet so this is just the cherry on the cake.

Had my second jab today. The nurse was telling me due to my age and the fact that I suffered pretty badly for 24 hours after my first dose that I can expect more of the same tonight so to start taking paracetamol/ibuprofen immediately, not looking forward to that!

10 minutes ago, Padgey said:

I have, this seems to work 

Show them this

https://www.rcpch.ac.uk/resources/pims-covid-19-linked-syndrome-affecting-children-information-families

My wife's sisters youngest has this and was in hospital for nearly two months, she home now thankfully but currently on a bucket load of medication with regular check ins at the hospital.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Padgey said:

Very close friend of mine was fortunate enough to have been called for the jab ahead of the rest of us - obviously considered vulnerable in his medical records, we're not in that age bracket yet. Refused it & says he'll reconsider in "2 or 3 years" once he's seen how it pans out for everyone else.

In the meantime, not really bothered with any of the lockdown rules. Regular house parties, family over to stay for the weekend, travelling to see others etc. Broadcasting the same over social media which just makes it more difficult for those of us who have kept to the guidance but found it tough.

Would be awful to fall out with people over a difference in opinion here but just cannot even consider seeing him for a while yet. 

• Upvote 1

Article in Austrian paper "Kurier" a hour ago hopefully with good news:

The WHO classifies B.1.617, the Indian variant, as "worrying" because it could be more contagious and also less sensitive to antibodies. According to a current US study, the corona vaccines from Pfizer / Biontech and Moderna are also highly effective against the two Indian virus variants B.1.617 and B.1.618.

"We found that the vaccine's antibodies were a little weaker against the variants, but not so much that we believe it would have a major impact on the vaccine's ability to protect," study author Nathaniel Landau told the AFP news agency.

The NYU Grossman School of Medicine and NYU Langone Center study has not yet been peer-reviewed.

38 minutes ago, Padgey said:

Did she say this with a fag hanging out of mouth? haha! Quite often these type of people don't quite understand the irony of not wanting to take the vaccine because of cancer while filling their body full of all kinds of other crap. 

It's their choice though at the end of the day. As long as these people are a small minority you don't have to worry... especially if you are vaccinated yourself. 

41 minutes ago, Padgey said:

Yes, several. I’ve just said good luck with the covid because in my opinion, no vaccine means when not if. 

One mate in particular shocked me becausee I’ve seen him take lots of dodgy looking stuff off dodgy looking people before 😂

31 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

My brother who is in his 40s as far as I'm aware has chosen not to be vaccinated as of yet.

Worse thing is he doesn't seem to have any reasons as to why he's refusing either which makes me even more angrier than having a reason you believe in even if that isn't based on anything.

I think he's had a few heated arguments with my Dad over his refusal as well.

He's always been a bit of helmet so this is just the cherry on the cake.

That's one of the dilemmas, if it was my brother or a close mate of mine I'd be telling him what a tool they are being.

23 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Yeah, pretty sure most of us know someone 

They are idiots ... actually no...  they are utter morons...

But what can you do...  they are beyond reason and logical thought.  They must see the news reports from India and there are young people burning under those wood logs.  If they want to be around for their children then the best route is the vaccine.

Personally I would call them out as idiots if I was truly their friends and truly cared for them.

It's true most people won't die from covid etc specially if you are young but why spin the bottle on it... specially if you have kids    thats the bit as a father that really annoys me

If we do decide to meet up next Saturday I can quite see it coming to this after having a few.  They think because they've had Covid they are now immune to it.

31 minutes ago, Stretlow said:

https://www.rcpch.ac.uk/resources/pims-covid-19-linked-syndrome-affecting-children-information-families

My wife's sisters youngest has this and was in hospital for nearly two months, she home now thankfully but currently on a bucket load of medication with regular check ins at the hospital.

Cheers, one of my concerns is that although the Missus and I are vaccinated the kids aren't and there is still a chance of exposure to them.  Although kids are back at school I'm not comfortable them being around people who choose not to be vaccinated.

"SAGE remains seemingly over-influenced by a group of  scientists who have been quietly advocating a Zero Covid approach, with little regard for the consequences."

"many have called for a new committee to weigh Sage advice on the risks of lockdown easing against the costs of roadmap delays. It has never materialised."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/05/17/variant-caution-risks-becoming-excuse-never-return-normality/

10 minutes ago, Havors said:

Did she say this with a fag hanging out of mouth? haha! Quite often these type of people don't quite understand the irony of not wanting to take the vaccine because of cancer while filling their body full of all kinds of other crap. 

It's their choice though at the end of the day. As long as these people are a small minority you don't have to worry... especially if you are vaccinated yourself. 

Haha not quite, although a couple of mates had similar views, one has come round but the other is still wearing his tinfoil hat whilst shoving any amounts of dust up his beak!

That's one argument I'm sure they can throw back at me i.e. you're vaccinated so why are you bothered, my only argument to that is the kids shouldn't be exposed to it by people who refuse the vaccination. 

6 minutes ago, Padgey said:

Cheers, one of my concerns is that although the Missus and I are vaccinated the kids aren't and there is still a chance of exposure to them.  Although kids are back at school I'm not comfortable them being around people who choose not to be vaccinated.

This is a decision I made recently. My father in law was refusing to have a jab and I told the wife that he wouldn't be welcome around our family (3 kids, one of whom is 19 so an adult but not likely to be vaccinated soon). He's since changed his mind though.

3 minutes ago, Padgey said:

Haha not quite, although a couple of mates had similar views, one has come round but the other is still wearing his tinfoil hat whilst shoving any amounts of dust up his beak!

That's one argument I'm sure they can throw back at me i.e. you're vaccinated so why are you bothered, my only argument to that is the kids shouldn't be exposed to it by people who refuse the vaccination. 

You dont need to worry about the kids though mate. As much chance of them being struck by lightning as dying from covid.  (Made that up but you get my point haha) 

2 minutes ago, Havors said:

You dont need to worry about the kids though mate. As much chance of them being struck by lightning as dying from covid.  (Made that up but you get my point haha) 

It's his kids so I think he's more than entitled to. If he puts them into an environment where they caught it there will be a lot of self blame there.

2 minutes ago, Havors said:

Slightly poor taste due to that unfortunate kid who was struck by lightning and killed last week. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, thewayiam said:

It's his kids so I think he's more than entitled to. If he puts them into an environment where they caught it there will be a lot of self blame there.

Best not let them ever cross a road as well then or leave the house. 

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

Slightly poor taste due to that unfortunate kid who was struck by lightning and killed last week. 

Now you mention it yes.

Just now, Havors said:

Best not let them ever cross a road as well then or leave the house. 

He can't do anything about lightning bar stay in the house as rain usually comes with.

He can have control over where his family go

1 minute ago, thewayiam said:

Now you mention it yes.

He can't do anything about lightning bar stay in the house as rain usually comes with.

He can have control over where his family go

Yes I just said that.... are always this purposefully obtuse? By your reputations I guess you are.  

Just now, Barry Fish said:

They aren't "his" kids though...  That sort of thinking is really wrong in my opinion.  A parent is nothing more than the current legal guardian.   The concept of ownership is toxic and utterly wrong.

😜