When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

JJ one dose should bring the finishing date forward by 12 weeks shouldn’t it ? Presuming we have enough doses and depending on when we start ? 

I wonder if JJ will be effective in reaching some of the harder to reach groups. Some of the vaccine hesitant groups might be persuaded by just the one dose.

Also helpful for people they're worried might not attend 2nd doses, homeless, travellers etc etc. You can just turn up, vaccinate everyone and there's no admin of 2nd doses to organise.

6 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I wonder if JJ will be effective in reaching some of the harder to reach groups. Some of the vaccine hesitant groups might be persuaded by just the one dose.

Also helpful for people they're worried might not attend 2nd doses, homeless, travellers etc etc. You can just turn up, vaccinate everyone and there's no admin of 2nd doses to organise.

I think its an acceleration to "fully vaccinated" for the passports 

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Is J&J going to be used for us youngsters? (I’m counting 35 as a youngster 😉)

It really shouldn't be.

According to the numbers coming out of the US and EU, it appears to have approximately the same (minimal) Blood Clot risk as the AZ vaccine does.

So if we consider the AZ vaccine undesirable for <40 for that reason, then J+J should be as well.

There was me thinking yay This Shit Is Almost Over, back at work after 14 months off, unpaid.  Seriously hoping this new variant shit is a blip & we collectively get back on top of it.

On the 2nd dose, mine is booked for 4th June and I've decided not to try & pull it forward because I'm fully booked up with work for the next few weeks so can't really take time out if if knocks me as the 1st dose did.  Hoping partner is contacted soon for their 2nd does (GP led rather than national booking service) they're at around the 8 week mark currently, they've got a comprised immune system so I'm all for making sure they are as fully protected as possible.

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

How many people haven't been contacted directly since becoming eligible? Although I booked before I was texted, I did get invited by text and by letter within a week of becoming eligible.

Is it common to have had no invitation?

my fella is 48 and he never got an invite from the GP, I organised jab for him at local hub as soon as he was eligible which is like 4-5 weeks ago

Me on the other hand had multiple texts about jab invite - we both use the same GP and live in same house so it's not always a given getting an invite

13 minutes ago, DirtyLurker said:

There was me thinking yay This Shit Is Almost Over, back at work after 14 months off, unpaid.  Seriously hoping this new variant shit is a blip & we collectively get back on top of it.

On the 2nd dose, mine is booked for 4th June and I've decided not to try & pull it forward because I'm fully booked up with work for the next few weeks so can't really take time out if if knocks me as the 1st dose did.  Hoping partner is contacted soon for their 2nd does (GP led rather than national booking service) they're at around the 8 week mark currently, they've got a comprised immune system so I'm all for making sure they are as fully protected as possible.

slightly off topic  ...but  I hope you still have time to continue the sideline artwork 

4 minutes ago, Radiochicken said:

Soz for the specific question: anyone know if I should cancel my mums (over 50) 2nd dose online and try and book another one? Or is there going to be an automated thing making the appointment sooner?

If you use the national booking system (as opposed to GPs one) then you have to cancel and rebook.

24 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

slightly off topic  ...but  I hope you still have time to continue the sideline artwork 

I'm going to rake in as many hours cheffing as I can for the foreseeable, try & make some pennies whilst I can😁 and that doesn't leave much spare time for painting sadly, plus the spare time I will have I'll need to keep the running & yoga up - need to be peak fitness chef atm, it's not quite so easy the older you get 😅

1 hour ago, Copperface said:

If you use the national booking system (as opposed to GPs one) then you have to cancel and rebook.

This is true.  If you have had the text referring to bringing your 2nd jab forward you can only do so if you cancel the current one and then search for an earlier appt if one exists.  The system will not tell you if an earlier appt exists before you cancel the current one so you risk having to rebook for a later date than originally.  Calling 119 doesn't help as they also have to cancel first before looking for another.  If you booked the earliest you could get one originally then it's prob best to stick with what you have. 

I went through this with 119 this morning and have stayed with what I have for 31st May. 

17 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

This is true.  If you have had the text referring to bringing your 2nd jab forward you can only do so if you cancel the current one and then search for an earlier appt if one exists.  The system will not tell you if an earlier appt exists before you cancel the current one so you risk having to rebook for a later date than originally.  Calling 119 doesn't help as they also have to cancel first before looking for another.  If you booked the earliest you could get one originally then it's prob best to stick with what you have. 

I went through this with 119 this morning and have stayed with what I have for 31st May. 

yeah...I went through this this morning...and for a while I was in a scary no mans land of having no 2nd dose appointment and having no idea whether I would get another one close by. They could do with improving that bit of the booking system.

Edited by steviewevie
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah...I went through this this morning...and for a while I was in a scary no mans land of having no 2nd dose appointment and having no idea whether I would get another one close by. They could do with improving that bit of the booking system.

Look at all you 38yr old plussers showing off with your 2nd doses.

A first dose would be a fine thing for us whipper snappers.

12 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Vaccination update:

7F3FE6FA-2F99-402C-A9D2-C09CC6DAE5C1.jpeg

49060BFF-B402-4D7F-8EA7-023C640DFC54.jpeg

Thank you for doing these every day. I only dip in and out of this thread (apart from the bickering it's a great source of info!) and this is one of the things I always look out for. 

There's a Brother's cider or two with your name on when we get back to the farm next year!  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

They could do with improving that bit of the booking system.

Exactly.  How hard would it be to allow you to search for an earlier appointment before cancelling the current one so that you can decide.  I tried to change it online but then called 119 when it didn't seem possible without cancelling first.  Poor fella at 119 asked if I'd had 'the text' and sounded like I wasn't the first.....

3 hours ago, incident said:

It really shouldn't be.

According to the numbers coming out of the US and EU, it appears to have approximately the same (minimal) Blood Clot risk as the AZ vaccine does.

So if we consider the AZ vaccine undesirable for <40 for that reason, then J+J should be as well.

It's not as black and white as that though. The reason AZ was withdrawn from certain age group was because there was less risk of them actually becoming ill at the time. This could potentially change if infection rates go up.

44 minutes ago, mike46 said:

Thank you for doing these every day. I only dip in and out of this thread (apart from the bickering it's a great source of info!) and this is one of the things I always look out for. 

There's a Brother's cider or two with your name on when we get back to the farm next year!  

That’s ok, glad you find it helpful. I’m also glad the blue line is rising again!

5 minutes ago, km9 said:

It's not as black and white as that though. The reason AZ was withdrawn from certain age group was because there was less risk of them actually becoming ill at the time. This could potentially change if infection rates go up.

Yes, the risk/reward calculation does change with infection rates - but as it's already confirmed that we have enough doses of Pfizer and Moderna either in storage or being delivered soon to (more than) cover all of the remaining younger age groups there's no real reason to change the advice. At this point, the bottleneck has started to move from supply to current delivery capacity, and so we've now reached a point where we can be a bit more selective about vaccines.

I appreciate that for someone hesitant there's a case to be made that 1-dose can be an easier sell than 2-doses, but surely the potential blood clot issue and reduced efficacy is going to more than offset that?

I still don't see any plausible way J+J becomes any significant part of the vaccine rollout in this country regardless of approval status. Even aside from all those issues, simply adding an extra different vaccine into a centre turning over hundreds or thousands of people a day complicates things and likely slows the process down at the point of delivery. It'll be used in niche cases at most and maybe not even that.

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Was in Sale today at the Makers Market...

Interesting to see how many people still wearing face masks...  Easily around 50%...  Outside in the fresh air.

People need properly informing of the dangers and the fact masks do nothing outside.

Whilst that may be true and I personally don’t wear mine outdoors at all - they’re also doing no harm if people feel more comfortable in doing so, considering we are still in the midst of a global pandemic. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, st dan said:

Whilst that may be true and I personally don’t wear mine outdoors at all - they’re also doing no harm if people feel more comfortable in doing so, considering we are still in the midst of a global pandemic. 

I wear mine outside if I’m going to the supermarket or somewhere like that. I’ll put it on at home as it’s easier and I don’t want to be taking it on and off again. It’s a bit of worry for me as at the beginning I heard you should try to avoid taking it on and off etc although it’s probably isn’t anything to worry about. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

I wear mine outside if I’m going to the supermarket or somewhere like that. I’ll put it on at home as it’s easier and I don’t want to be taking it on and off again. It’s a bit of worry for me as at the beginning I heard you should try to avoid taking it on and off etc although it’s probably isn’t anything to worry about. 

At my vaccination centre  they ask you to put a fresh mask on … and also the drs and my hospital appointment … this is presumably to ensure you have one that hasn’t been on and off and chucked in pockets … so yeah handling them multiple times is not best practise so it’s better to keep them on

• Upvote 3