When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Copperface said:

Got the text this morning, rebooked via 119 to have my second on Tuesday at the large Vax hub (looking out for you @rascalpete!!) in the city centre.

For those rebooking on the national NHS booking site, you have to cancel your second appointment first then make a new booking for the brought forward jab. Mine was brought forward from 31 May to Tuesday 18 May

Cheers for the shoutout! 🙂 good luck with your jab Tuesday, I won’t be there as fitting around work - shame you could have said hi!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Avalon_Fields said:

You’re absolutely right. There has been a huge effort in Manchester - and presumably elsewhere- to help tackle vaccine hesitancy by having vaccinations in Mosques and pop-ups in specific community areas. Then there’s the Covid Connectors I had the pleasure to photoshoot who work in such communities to encourage take up. Better chances of success than by a centralised focus.

However, if significant vaccine hesitancy continues in communities surely it cannot be a reason to hold back the rest of the country who have been vaccinated. Or if it does, for how long? Weeks, months, years?

A33FEF23-D85E-4BDC-8B55-16305A6EBBD1.jpeg

This is completely fair. We absolutely should be doing a lot of outreach to those that are vaccine hesitant for whatever reason, even anti-vaxers. Demonisation of them isn’t going to improve uptake, all it does it make us feel smug about ourselves. There were similar issues earlier in the pandemic about lockdown breaking, which often was shaming rather than attempting to understand the issues. 

However there’s no moral argument for delaying restrictions until these people are vaccinated. If they have been given all of the information then that is all that we can do. They have the right to make unwise decisions about their health, but we don’t have to suffer to try and protect them from themselves . 

1 hour ago, Copperface said:

Got the text this morning, rebooked via 119 to have my second on Tuesday at the large Vax hub (looking out for you @rascalpete!!) in the city centre.

For those rebooking on the national NHS booking site, you have to cancel your second appointment first then make a new booking for the brought forward jab. Mine was brought forward from 31 May to Tuesday 18 May

Not sure whether to bother with this or not. Got my 2nd one in a few weeks anyway.

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

Very widespread. You'd be surprised  the amount of people I've had to tell about the national booking system 

The adverts saying you'll receive a text for yours probably don't help with this...

Exactly. Some people on here seem to think if you're eligible but haven't been jabbed you must be an anti vaxxer, but I'd imagine there are loads of people who are just patiently waiting to be told it's their turn. Not everyone is following covid news as much as we are in here.

3 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Exactly. Some people on here seem to think if you're eligible but haven't been jabbed you must be an anti vaxxer, but I'd imagine there are loads of people who are just patiently waiting to be told it's their turn. Not everyone is following covid news as much as we are in here.

How many people haven't been contacted directly since becoming eligible? Although I booked before I was texted, I did get invited by text and by letter within a week of becoming eligible.

Is it common to have had no invitation?

It`s been a bumpy road and probably there will be some more potholes but the finish line comes nearer now. Incidence now around 60 here still going downhill (maybe stoping or slowing down next week because of the opening), Germany now around 80 with a similar trend.

But probably it will be essential to reach the line before the Indian variant reaches our shores supposed its something thats more concerning than other variants. But not many experts here see this as a problem and news of this variant has not been more than a footnote until now (5 cases I think have been associated with the Indian variant here until now, but as they all could be controlled as its a rather low number).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Not sure whether to bother with this or not. Got my 2nd one in a few weeks anyway.

My second is on June 5th, but I got it early through volunteering so I'm probably not going to bother to reschedule. Other people need their second dose earlier than me I reckon!

A bit of detail behind the Bolton numbers that might explain why second doses are being brought forward and why the numbers could still get high. There are currently 18 people in hospital in Bolton with COVID.

"Of the 18, [Hancock] said five patients have had one dose of the vaccine, while one person had received both jabs."

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/18-people-hospital-bolton-coronavirus-20608067

So, at the moment, whilst first doses cut hospitalisation in more than a third, it's getting to that second dose that really brings the numbers down. And given enough infection, the hospitalisations can still get high. It's also worth noting that most of the Bolton rise in infection is yet to filter through to hospitalisation, since most of the active cases are brand new.

The information that's missing is how long is it since those patients received their first doses and which one? Given that we know immunity increases over time, it may be that administering the second dose doesn't help all that much, it's just time that is needed.

Not sure where I saw it (maybe on here), but most of Bolton itself also has low rates, it's localised in a few areas of the town.  If I was in charge, I'd be tempted to go knocking on doors offering immediate vaccines to any adults, sending cars with loudspeakers down the streets - doing anything we can to break the chain of infection. Stomp down hard and fast on the source of the outbreak.

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

A bit of detail behind the Bolton numbers that might explain why second doses are being brought forward and why the numbers could still get high. There are currently 18 people in hospital in Bolton with COVID.

"Of the 18, [Hancock] said five patients have had one dose of the vaccine, while one person had received both jabs."

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/18-people-hospital-bolton-coronavirus-20608067

So, at the moment, whilst first doses cut hospitalisation in more than a third, it's getting to that second dose that really brings the numbers down. And given enough infection, the hospitalisations can still get high. It's also worth noting that most of the Bolton rise in infection is yet to filter through to hospitalisation, since most of the active cases are brand new.

The information that's missing is how long is it since those patients received their first doses and which one? Given that we know immunity increases over time, it may be that administering the second dose doesn't help all that much, it's just time that is needed.

Not sure where I saw it (maybe on here), but most of Bolton itself also has low rates, it's localised in a few areas of the town.  If I was in charge, I'd be tempted to go knocking on doors offering immediate vaccines to any adults, sending cars with loudspeakers down the streets - doing anything we can to break the chain of infection. Stomp down hard and fast on the source of the outbreak.

Ugh that's a bit worrying about the jabbed people being in hospital. As you say must be down to timing, but would be great to know how long it had been for all of them.

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Ugh that's a bit worrying about the jabbed people being in hospital. As you say must be down to timing, but would be great to know how long it had been for all of them.

It's also worth understanding if they were admitted because of Covid or if they were admitted to hospital due to something else.

17 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

My second is on June 5th, but I got it early through volunteering so I'm probably not going to bother to reschedule. Other people need their second dose earlier than me I reckon!

A 12 week gap is actually probably better than an 8 week gap for overall immunity...right? I think mine would be just short of 10 weeks.

12 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

It's also worth understanding if they were admitted because of Covid or if they were admitted to hospital due to something else.

True. If they have covid asymptomatically not such a concern obviously.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

29 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

If I was in charge, I'd be tempted to go knocking on doors offering immediate vaccines to any adults, sending cars with loudspeakers down the streets - doing anything we can to break the chain of infection. Stomp down hard and fast on the source of the outbreak

I think this is happening, St John Ambulance have put calls out for extra vaccination volunteer shifts to staff their mobile vehicles being deployed to Bolton.