When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

"I have to level with you that this new variant could pose a serious disruption to our progress and could make it more difficult to move to step four in June." Boris Johnson 14/5/2021

“I must level with you, the British public. Many more families are going to lose their loved ones before their time,” he said. Boris Johnson  12/3/2020

When Johnson 'levels' with you you know something's up.

50 minutes ago, Copperface said:

The classic shit sandwich:

The prime minister said he did not believe that the "present evidence" showed a need to delay the next stage in the easing of lockdown in England on Monday.

But Mr Johnson warned: "I have to level with you that this new variant could pose a serious disruption to our progress and could make it more difficult to move to step four in June."

He said there was "no evidence to suggest that our vaccines will be less effective in protecting people against severe illness and hospitalisation".

I think I'll always remember the PM saying at the starts of the pandemic 'I have to level with you...' It seems a bit more serious when he uses that phrase.

Edit - You've basically said the same thing, teaches me to not read the rest of the thread before replying.

Edited by Ozanne
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I think I'll always remember the PM saying at the starts of the pandemic 'I have to level with you...' It seems a bit more serious when he uses that phrase.

Yup. He should just say ' I know it's rare for me, but I'm going to tell the truth for once'.

Edited by Copperface
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Bet Christina is having a cheeky glass of wine and smirk on her face tonight.

Panic caused but restrictions still being lifted so next week TV appearances secured. 

Good end to the week for her 

Yup every day saying how dangerous things are....

35 minutes ago, st dan said:

Surely that’s only the case if the vaccines don’t work? I mean it must be, because we’ve now got 30m+ of the most vulnerable vaccinated, so it would be impossible to be higher than previous peaks wouldn’t it?

If its at 60% more transmissible then it's fully possible if everyone is meeting indoors while it spreads exponentially. Everyone unprotected for whatever reason catching it at once is a big problem. And we're now open to this as of Monday. 

so if we dont get an increase in hospitalisations will we continue regardless?  By the 21st of june at 600,000 doses per day we can do 21 million more doses .... if my maths is right ...  thats going to have a decent impact id say and im crossing fingers for next stage on 21st going ahead 

11 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

so if we dont get an increase in hospitalisations will we continue regardless?  By the 21st of june at 600,000 doses per day we can do 21 million more doses .... if my maths is right ...  thats going to have a decent impact id say and im crossing fingers for next stage on 21st going ahead 

In the briefing the PM said that if the Indian variant is found to be more transmissible then we will have 'difficult decisions ahead'. So I think going by that comment they will push back the 21st June measures regardless of hospital data.

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

I think that Johnson is subtly preparing us for the June 21st stage to potentially be pushed back, his language seems to imply that to me.

Unfortunately I'm with @efcfanwirralin that there was nothing subtle about it and I've only took that from off of here.

1 hour ago, Havors said:

Well if it happens in June its good news for July/August if it goes well? 

What he said below. A middle of June test event I think seriously questions August. May 1st was the Liverpool event and results are still to come two weeks later. This event is going to be easily as many people so you're looking 1st week July at the very early for results.

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

The insurance issue - it was always a long shot anyway but they'll need to know end of this month or at the very most before the event happens never mind the results

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, that was a weirdly shit mistake.

It was. Although they still did do it when it became must do. 

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

I totally understand how hard its been for people - I think I'm in the minority who isn't at all bothered about step 3 - 2 was an easing for me, 3 makes no difference when the weather is warmer and 4 is the fun stuff

I'm kinda the same. I took a couple of days rest from here as it was just getting stupid. Even today I've seen others who started giving me abuse etc asking the same shit I've questioned.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

that was the problem with having these dates in the roadmap I guess...even though they are earliest possible dates they are fixed in the public's mind.

Kinda why I took it as a pinch of salt. To me it was locked that we will see how it goes.

1 hour ago, shoptildrop said:

Had my 2nd Pfizer jab this morning!! arm currently feeling like it's been filled with lead again lol

Based on tonight's update I think Boris is bracing us for a delay on lifting everything on 21st June, but tbh I think that's be the case for awhile now 😞 

I believe so yes

Just now, Ozanne said:

In the briefing the PM said that if the Indian variant is found to be more transmissible then we will have 'difficult decisions ahead'. So I think going by that comment they will push back the 21st June measures regardless of hospital data.

Yeah I see that but it’s gonna be a tough argument to get past his mps if nothing is happening case wise or hospitalisation wise … if it isn’t much more transmissible which is still also possible … all to play for still … and boris loves to be peoples friend 

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I think they'll loosen some stuff up and increase capacities places rather than stick to step 3

14 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I guess depends on how high cases get...hopefully vaccines decrease transmission too. 

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Yes. They aren't just going to go by hospital data. People can still get the virus in larger amounts with the need for hospitalization. At this moment the deaths are fluctuating up way to much still.

16 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

What he said below. A middle of June test event I think seriously questions August. May 1st was the Liverpool event and results are still to come two weeks later. This event is going to be easily as many people so you're looking 1st week July at the very early for results.

Results from the Liverpool test events aren't due until June apparently. Surely they could have put it out some headline figures now at least.

Edit After the 11th June

Edited by august1

I think the biggest thing we need to remember is that we can't go any further with missed treatments, missed diagnosis of cancer etc. We've run out of time.

I don't think it's a exaggeration to say that the result of this will be a higher death toll from those things than from covid. So stopping covid now is a much more important thing than just stopping the direct effects of the virus. It simply can't spread again in any meaningful way. 

We need people to test before leaving the house, and a way to prove it. Until we know for 100% sure that vaccines fully stop transmission, and with even slight doubt then it has to be tests. Then I guess it's onto vaccine proof 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, august1 said:

Results from the Liverpool test events aren't due until June apparently. Surely they could have put it out some headline figures now at least.

Edit After the 11th June

That's not good. But conveniently the results will be in just in time for them running the second one so makes a lot of sense. So basically, events won't know the results of a test pilot event on 6k people before they need to make a decision on cancellation due to insurance backing already? And now they are planning another one that will likely have a results time of around July 24th into the following week. 

As a other said that puts pay to July festivals and I don't think many of any August independent one's will survive on that. Before that mid June option it was possible. 

14 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I think the biggest thing we need to remember is that we can't go any further with missed treatments, missed diagnosis of cancer etc. We've run out of time.

I don't think it's a exaggeration to say that the result of this will be a higher death toll from those things than from covid. So stopping covid now is a much more important thing than just stopping the direct effects of the virus. It simply can't spread again in any meaningful way. 

We need people to test before leaving the house, and a way to prove it. Until we know for 100% sure that vaccines fully stop transmission, and with even slight doubt then it has to be tests. Then I guess it's onto vaccine proof 

I'm also sure I read from a source that the Indian variant being covered by the jab is 'questionable'.

3 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Nicola Sturgeon imposing lockdown on Glasgow when there are 3 people in the whole of Scotland in ICU is a fucking disgrace of a decision. I’d love to see some civil disobedience. 

The surge in cases is in her own constituency, so not a decision she has taken lightly.  In the areas affected it's about 10% of the population testing positive.  I think it's something to be concerned about.

• Upvote 1

Just now, thewayiam said:

That's not good. But conveniently the results will be in just in time for them running the second one so makes a lot of sense. So basically, events won't know the results of a test pilot event on 6k people before they need to make a decision on cancellation due to insurance backing already? And now they are planning another one that will likely have a results time of around July 24th into the following week. 

I wonder if the liverpool event is for day gigs e.g. (hypothetically if 21st June somehow comes off) that James one in London. Perhaps capacity limited. I doubt they'd need the camping event results for that. 

But it appears FR won't get away with convincing the scientists that this can be expanded to camping events

3 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I'm also sure I read from a source that the Indian variant being covered by the jab is 'questionable'.

was that the source thats now been deleted ? or can you provide it ? because im sure I read from a source really needs something more given that its quite important 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

was that the source thats now been deleted ? or can you provide it ? because im sure I read from a source really needs something more given that its quite important 

It was the deleted one yes. The only info I've read is from here. 

29 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I don't pretend to understand half of the medical stuff but this article seems to explain it a bit more clearly. 

Basically, a lot is still unknown.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01274-7