When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Surely it’s about increases in vaccine roll out in areas where virus is rife and possibly local lockdowns.  There’s more testing centres appeared in Glasgow  in the last few days, especially in a high population density area where vaccine uptake has been below average.  R still hovering around 1.  

Four in 10 adults say they would be more likely to attend an event if they were required to show proof of a negative Covid test, a study suggests.

Some 41% of adults were more positive about attending an event such as the theatre or a concert if they were required to show a negative test, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) says.

But a majority - 71% - said they would be less likely to attend if it meant spending an extra two hours in the venue to allow for a socially-distanced exit.

An event without any social distancing, being required to wear a face covering for the duration of the event, and being unable to eat food and drink also put adults off.

The ONS asked 7,617 people in Britain about their likelihood of attending organised events between 28 April and 3 May.

24 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Four in 10 adults say they would be more likely to attend an event if they were required to show proof of a negative Covid test, a study suggests.

Some 41% of adults were more positive about attending an event such as the theatre or a concert if they were required to show a negative test, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) says.

But a majority - 71% - said they would be less likely to attend if it meant spending an extra two hours in the venue to allow for a socially-distanced exit.

An event without any social distancing, being required to wear a face covering for the duration of the event, and being unable to eat food and drink also put adults off.

The ONS asked 7,617 people in Britain about their likelihood of attending organised events between 28 April and 3 May.

Two hours to exit?! They must be thinking of pretty big venues.

1 hour ago, hodgey123 said:

That is fair enough, but this time is literally incomparable to March or even December 2020. Over 95% of all at risk categories have been vaccinated and a huge proportion of that twice!

Yeah, I just think Boris would do anything he can to not have to utter the words "Lockdown" ever again, even before these recent concerns about the Indian variant, the June 21st date was held in question. Also it was always gonna be the case that Boris is less worried about changing plans after the local elections. 

I think opening is good though. Even though I predict a little bumpier road than we expected 

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

She is on sky news a lot as well 

Sky News basically book guests based on how many angry Twitter replies they get. It's all circular, but the reason she has profile is more down to her voice being amplified by those who disagree with her than those that do.

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah this is what I think. They're trying to reassure people after some of the coverage would be my guess.

I think it's the opposite - they'll announce no changes but emphasize people should still be sensible and cautious. "You can mix with people indoors from Monday but we'd encourage you not to mix with too many different people" - "only hug close friends and family" - that sort of thing.

Or they're going to push back indoor mixing in households as that's a lever they can push without impacting the economy.

1 hour ago, MEGABOWL said:

This is the time to hold our nerve. There was always going to be a rise in cases at some point but as long as we’ve broken the link between cases on the one hand and serious illness/deaths on the other we crack on. We haven’t even had the rise in cases yet, just a couple of local spikes. There’s definitely a confidence issue not helped by some elements of the Media.

Totally agree with your comments 

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

The be sensible thing is a bit loaded in my eyes.  

You are either acting in or out of the rules.

Then you have the shit situation like in Wales where you can follow the rules and then be shamed for going on holiday.  

Yeah I thought that too - it sounds very similar to "the pubs are open but don't go to them" 

14 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I’ll report on the road blocks and tanks deployment as they isolate Bolton at 5. Fortunately I’m 500m on the right side of the barricades 

Make sure you’re upwind of any fallout in case they decide to nuke the town. 

Edited by squirrelarmy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

What you've all been waiting for

This is the equivalent of me and my family playing monopoly tonight and then going to London and trying to run the hotels I’ve built on park lane. 

Edited by BobWillis2
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

The be sensible thing is a bit loaded in my eyes.  

You are either acting in or out of the rules.

Then you have the shit situation like in Wales where you can follow the rules and then be shamed for going on holiday.  

The holiday thing is weird. Most people on here seem to think it's fine if there are still restrictions on foreign travel as of June 21... I think for a lot of people though it's actually more important than nightclubs or gigs.

I think "be sensible" is better than setting up ridiculous unenforceable rules though. I don't think it helps anyone to say "meet a maximum of six people indoors, or two households, but no more than 20 different people total in a 3 week rolling window". Or "you can hug people, but only family members, friends you'd be comfortable sharing a hotel room with, or people you've seen naked".

Like I mentioned earlier, for a lot of people, Monday is becoming "COVID is over" day - because they don't really care about house parties, nightclubs or gigs. There's a need to stress an element of caution, and the Indian variant both makes this more important and provides a handy justification.

25 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Pretty sure I've seen her ranting on pretty much every channel.

Because she gets a lot of engagement and says stuff that can be boiled down into a tweet that can then get a lot of controversy and other stations see Sky doing this and think "ooh, she's popular" and so it goes. 

I mean, I'm sorting of backing your point here: by saying she's on this stuff because people get angry with her and that's good for ratings and social engagement.

The alternative is that she's on this stuff because people agree with her and think she's right.