When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, ErnestWorthing said:

If vaccines reduce the chances of spreading it by 90% and then of those 90% fewer infections it reduces the chance of hospitalisation by 94% are we really at risk? 

Surely the % of unvaccinated all catching it almost once is still a pretty high absolute number? The knock on effect for cancer treatment etc as well from the NHS having to deal with this again. 

Obviously any delays need to be backed up by financial help and people need to be properly paid to isolate, which I'd imagine is a big problem in the likes of Bolton  

1 minute ago, Havors said:

Saying the 17th of May is as good as its going to get means the vaccine has been a waste of time and we going to have restrictions forever. 

It either works or it doesn't. There are always going to be variants but at the end of the day they are all still the same virus. Tweaks to vaccines and boosters will be the norm

At the very least wait til everyone is vaccinated. And keeping the borders closed might help.

15 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Agree with all that last bit and I'm one of the worst for not engaging with this thing properly because I want festivals back. I've finally accepted its not over 

Obviously some of us have been sucked in by hope but at the same time I think the government should be been more honest about how this year would look- if they'd just said 17th May easing is as far as you're probably going to get it would've tempered expectations to a more realistic level. But deep down we all knew he was talking his usual bollocks about removing everything this summer 

To be the government have said what they have with not before dates. I took this as each step wasn't confirmed until it was and by no means at all confirmed that 21st June was definitely all go.

13 minutes ago, stuie said:

Aside from the fact that’s a bit presumptuous, we have a low prevalence of the virus and we’ve vaccinated our vulnerable. It’s time to get our lives back. 

It's really not. It's proof in writing from posts all over this board of that.

As for the other 3, they are real life things. They have happened .

That's a really really selfish reply to a genuine comment driven purely by your own greed. You should be ashamed!

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Surely the % of unvaccinated all catching it almost once is still a pretty high absolute number? The knock on effect for cancer treatment etc as well from the NHS having to deal with this again. 

Obviously any delays need to be backed up by financial help and people need to be properly paid to isolate, which I'd imagine is a big problem in the likes of Bolton  

The unvaccinated aren’t the sort of people who turn up to the hospital when they get covid. Most people in their 20s and 30s just tough it out at home with a cup of tea. 

8 minutes ago, ErnestWorthing said:

If vaccines reduce the chances of spreading it by 90% and then of those 90% fewer infections it reduces the chance of hospitalisation by 94% are we really at risk? 

Until the vast majority of people have had the vaccine, unfortunately we are yes. Chile found that out the hard way as their ICUs filled up with young and middle aged people. 

Edited by Mimo

5 minutes ago, ErnestWorthing said:

No. But that's a large "if" - we don't know if the vaccine works that way on new variants. We have indications it does to some extent, but don't have the data to know exactly how much. 

It'll probably be fine. It's a question of if the government are willing to gamble on that "if" or not.

1 minute ago, Mimo said:

Until the vast majority of people have had the vaccine, unfortunately we are yes. Chile found that out the hard way as their ICUs filled up with young and middle aged people. 

That’s what happens when you use a dud vaccine mate. Would be as well injecting liquidised custard into the arms of Chileans than using the crap vaccine that they used. 

4 minutes ago, Havors said:

Saying the 17th of May is as good as its going to get means the vaccine has been a waste of time and we going to have restrictions forever. 

It either works or it doesn't. There are always going to be variants but at the end of the day they are all still the same virus. Tweaks to vaccines and boosters will be the norm

That's not what he's saying. He's saying the government shouldn't have included the June 21 date at all and that it should have been noted for May 17th and anything further would be mentioned further on etc etc.

No he hasn't put this but I've read between the lines. There is no need to come across to people a bit like it's slander.

I have always been all for everyone being vaccined that could be before things go back to normal and imo if vaccines are now okay for under 18s or safe and they delay that process as they now have evidence of safety for it then so be it. 

2 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

That's a really really selfish reply to a genuine comment driven purely by your own greed. You should be ashamed!

Thanks for your reply. If our vulnerable people that accounted for 98% of deaths weren’t already vaccinated I might agree with you. 

Seriously though, I’m not looking for you to help with my moral compass. Ta. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

No. No they're not. They want it over as much as you do. 

Can you not comprehend the fact that they might just be people with a more negative outlook, that are worried? Especially given they've been saying "we should be more cautious" to every single thing since March 2020 and up until March 2021 they were completely right, and the government and their scientific advisers were completely wrong.

"Fake" SAGE have been proven right more than they've been proven wrong in this whole thing. And yes, there's a chance that maybe they're right again. You're so desperate to believe that they're not, because *you* can't countenance another lockdown, that you've invented some crazy fantasy world where they're doing it because they're scared of not getting any media coverage when the pandemic goes away. Rather than the idea that they're just worried the government and their advisors have got it wrong again. Like they have at every single point up to here.

And y'know, I agree with you! I think it'll all be fine, and with the vaccine the variants won't be a problem! I just don't think someone with a different opinion is so crazy that I have to ascribe some sort of weird capitalist motivation to it.

It's uncomfortable for you because you *have* to be right this time. Because you don't know how you'll deal with another lockdown. But if you look back and ask yourself honestly, how many times have you been sure during this pandemic it was going to go one way, and it went the other? 

It hurts to even contemplate what a variant that escaped the vaccine would actually mean to our lives. I think it would totally destroy the mental health of a lot of us - hence why we don't even really countenance it as an option. And why 99% of the time I let you get away with your bull-headedness. Because I don't want to ruin your day by making you ask yourself "what if I'm wrong?". But then sometimes, like here, you cross the line and it just has to be called out.

@Fuzzy Afroyou need to wind your kneck in and do it now as you're not presenting yourself well at all.

• Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

At the very least wait til everyone is vaccinated. And keeping the borders closed might help.

That's definitely moving the goalposts. 

We will have the over 50s fully vaccinate by middle of June. Enough is enough. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Good jaysus...I'm seen some mental stuff posted in this thread, but this one takes the biscuit! 🤣

Generally speaking, scientists don't get paid for interviews in the media (I've never been, I get paid for other things outside of my main job, like advisory boards etc, but not media work). Don't get me wrong, I disagree with the mathematicians dipping their toes in biology they don't seem to fully understand (I don't see virologists/immunologists/molecular biologists & infectious disease experts falling over themselves about variants...keep an eye on them sure, but all evidence so far is still pointing in the right direction), but to suggest that the "entire scientific community" wants this to continue so we can keep making vast profits as talking heads is laughable. I'd like this to be over and done with tomorrow please, so that I can get on with my life and my work...

Honestly mate, it's nearly (mostly) over. Relax!

33 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

No. No they're not. They want it over as much as you do. 

Can you not comprehend the fact that they might just be people with a more negative outlook, that are worried? Especially given they've been saying "we should be more cautious" to every single thing since March 2020 and up until March 2021 they were completely right, and the government and their scientific advisers were completely wrong.

"Fake" SAGE have been proven right more than they've been proven wrong in this whole thing. And yes, there's a chance that maybe they're right again. You're so desperate to believe that they're not, because *you* can't countenance another lockdown, that you've invented some crazy fantasy world where they're doing it because they're scared of not getting any media coverage when the pandemic goes away. Rather than the idea that they're just worried the government and their advisors have got it wrong again. Like they have at every single point up to here.

And y'know, I agree with you! I think it'll all be fine, and with the vaccine the variants won't be a problem! I just don't think someone with a different opinion is so crazy that I have to ascribe some sort of weird capitalist motivation to it.

It's uncomfortable for you because you *have* to be right this time. Because you don't know how you'll deal with another lockdown. But if you look back and ask yourself honestly, how many times have you been sure during this pandemic it was going to go one way, and it went the other? 

It hurts to even contemplate what a variant that escaped the vaccine would actually mean to our lives. I think it would totally destroy the mental health of a lot of us - hence why we don't even really countenance it as an option. And why 99% of the time I let you get away with your bull-headedness. Because I don't want to ruin your day by making you ask yourself "what if I'm wrong?". But then sometimes, like here, you cross the line and it just has to be called out.

Well said on both accounts.

Most people don't follow Christina Pagel on twitter, most people just get their news from mainstream media...papers and tv. I don't know, but I think most people would rather we cautiously reopened while we continue to vaccinate, instead of more chaos like we had previously...in and out of lockdowns, tiers, hospitals struggling, people dying etc.

2 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

@Fuzzy Afroyou need to wind your kneck in and do it now as you're not presenting yourself well at all.

Where’s Alanis Morissette when you need her?

32 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

This thread needs locking now imo.

The thread is a hive of shit with the occasional great post but while this is the dominant topic that is affecting the world people are going to want to talk about it.

If this thread was locked another one would soon pop up. At least the shit is contained within this thread and you can avoid it if you want to.

It’s a shame you can’t block threads from view like you can block users. 

16 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

But the unvaccinated are the young, and they're already unlikely to be hospitalised

We are talking VERY low number anyway of cases. As below, its still going down week on week

The number of people testing positive for Covid-19 in England has fallen to the lowest level since the beginning of September.

A total of 14,313 people tested positive for the virus at least once in the week to 5 May, according to the latest Test and Trace figures.

This is down 9% on the previous week and the lowest number since the week to 2 September 2020.

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

The thread is a hive of shit with the occasional great post but while this is the dominant topic that is affecting the world people are going to want to talk about it.

If this thread was locked another one would soon pop up. At least the shit is contained within this thread and you can avoid it if you want to.

It’s a shame you can’t block threads from view like you can block users. 

Yeh I know, it was more an off hand comment.  I have enjoyed this thread espcially during my low points as its provided an outlet to talk about what's going on etc.

However in my opinion its recently decended into bitching and name calling too much between the same few people and has lost its original spirit.

7 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

That's not what he's saying. He's saying the government shouldn't have included the June 21 date at all and that it should have been noted for May 17th and anything further would be mentioned further on etc etc.

No he hasn't put this but I've read between the lines. There is no need to come across to people a bit like it's slander.

I have always been all for everyone being vaccined that could be before things go back to normal and imo if vaccines are now okay for under 18s or safe and they delay that process as they now have evidence of safety for it then so be it. 

In your opinion. Everyone who was vulnerable has already been vaccinated at least 1 does, large amount 2 doses now. There is little to no reason for under 18's to need a vaccination for something that is practically harmless to them. 

Like I have said, the vaccine apparently works. Incredibly well. So not opening back up come June 21st will be completely illogical.

2 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Yeh I know, it was more an off hand comment.  I have enjoyed this thread espcially during my low points as its provided an outlet to talk about what's going on etc.

However in my opinion its recently decended into bitching and name calling too much between the same few people and has lost its original spirit.

It’s divided now between those who wants their lives back (who are apparently selfish bastards) and those who think we should stay home for another year, just in case. 

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Most people don't follow Christina Pagel on twitter, most people just get their news from mainstream media...papers and tv. I don't know, but I think most people would rather we cautiously reopened while we continue to vaccinate, instead of more chaos like we had previously...in and out of lockdowns, tiers, hospitals struggling, people dying etc.

Hence we have been locked down now for over 5 months... this is and has been very cautious. Sensibly so in my opinion... but all restrictions lifting on June 21st needs to happen (or close to it) or its all been a waste of time. 

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

It’s divided now between those who wants their lives back (who are apparently selfish bastards) and those who think we should stay home for another year, just in case. 

I'm in the former camp.

Anymore lockdowns and my mental health will slide even further south than it has done already.

1 minute ago, Havors said:

Hence we have been locked down now for over 5 months... this is and has been very cautious. Sensibly so in my opinion... but all restrictions lifting on June 21st needs to happen (or close to it) or its all been a waste of time. 

If opening everything too early causes a surge in cases then the lockdown will have been a waste of time. Another few weeks of being cautious if needed isn’t going to be that life changing. Indoor activities are starting next week so those people who are needing social activity can start to get it. 

4 minutes ago, Havors said:

well, yeah, hopefully...we'll see... I wouldn't be surprised if some restrictions are kept in place until everyone has been fully vaccinated.