When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

38 minutes ago, Mimo said:

You’d think the government could sell it quite easily (ish). Could be a guaranteed 4 week local lockdown, then most restrictions off. First week hastily vaccinating everyone, next 3 weeks waiting for immunity to kick in whilst also breaking transmission. Sorted. 

What if many of the people don't want to get vaccinated ? I am sure that data is there to drill right down to very local levels. Are we talking about certain ethnicities ?

I know from speaking to people who do work in Liverpool certain sections of the BAME community have no interest in getting the vaccine.

I personally think there will be a small final wave this winter which will pick off the unvaccinated (for whatever reason) I don't think figures will get that high that it will put pressure on hospitals and hence Lockdown IV and I don't think there is any appetite for any kind of increased lockdown/rule changes again. We will just have to live with it. Yes more lives will be lost but if the option was there to take the vaccine and you did not what more can be done ?

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, st dan said:

I suppose there is a strong argument that the roadmap should always have been for a full reopening 3 weeks after the full adult population have been offered a vaccine .. whenever that may be. 

I am surprised they didn't do that  though there must've been some expectation of spread in this next 5 weeks of reopening.  I know many would feel more comfortable going out when they've been vaccinated. I'm personally going to go to pubs in the full expectation I could catch it, but that statistics are on my side so it probably won't be an issue. Many won't feel that way though 

Edited by efcfanwirral

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

Good news that face coverings will be gone in shops. I wonder if some shops will still choose to enforce them or encourage them as an individual policy rather then the law. I wish they'd bin them on transport as well.

I'm fine with masks on the tube/train if it's packed tbh. Sensible precaution

8 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I'm fine with masks on the tube/train if it's packed tbh. Sensible precaution

Oh yeah I can totally live with it, I'd just ideally prefer to see them gone. I often travel on intercity trains where I'm the only person in the carriage so I think going forward I'll just stop bothering to put a mask on in that case and if it gets busy, then I'll put one on. I'll continue wearing one on the tube though.

5 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Oh yeah I can totally live with it, I'd just ideally prefer to see them gone. I often travel on intercity trains where I'm the only person in the carriage so I think going forward I'll just stop bothering to put a mask on in that case and if it gets busy, then I'll put one on. I'll continue wearing one on the tube though.

Oh its just that if it means we can do other stuff, masks on public transport is such a small thing it's barely worth registering.

15 minutes ago, faymondo said:

What if many of the people don't want to get vaccinated ? I am sure that data is there to drill right down to very local levels. Are we talking about certain ethnicities ?

I know from speaking to people who do work in Liverpool certain sections of the BAME community have no interest in getting the vaccine.

I personally think there will be a small final wave this winter which will pick off the unvaccinated (for whatever reason) I don't think figures will get that high that it will put pressure on hospitals and hence Lockdown IV and I don't think there is any appetite for any kind of increased lockdown/rule changes again. We will just have to live with it. Yes more lives will be lost but if the option was there to take the vaccine and you did not what more can be done ?

Well yeah I guess once everyone’s been offered it and reasonable steps have been taken then what more can you do?

Like you say the ultimate concern is always gonna be protecting the health service really. So long as there’s no danger of it becoming overwhelmed then once everyone’s had their chance for a vaccine we’ll open up and crack on with life to a certain extent.

If for some reason the vaccine coverage isn’t high enough to protect the nhs then a level of restrictions would be needed for a time whilst the unvaccinated caught it to bring the level up. There’s no living with it whilst hospitals are overwhelmed, the knock on effects are too terrible (ie we personally know 2 people in their late 20s and mid 40s who are in a very bad way due to much delayed cancer diagnosis). 

4 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

It's pretty difficult to argue with that thread to be honest as much as I want to see things back to normal...

She mentions we easily met the first 3 tests, I disagree with her on the 4th tbh. The assessment of risk hasn't 'fundamentally changed' by new variants of concern. For me its cautious concern with the pockets of infection. Case numbers are still half the number when lockdown easing down and only creeping up, still low numbers of this variant in the country.

Vast majority of the country is still in a good place to move forward, hopefully increased vaccination/testing/vigilance will be enough in those pockets to stamp it out and we can crack on with first doses generally.

6 hours ago, zahidf said:

FAKE SAGE SAYS WHY WE SHOULD STAY LOCKED UP

Imagine being reduced to such a meltdown by the prospects that the little plebs might be allowed to meet indoors that you produce this 18 page bile at gone midnight. We all should #Pray4Christina as we sink our first pint in indoor pubs next week as she’s probably hiding in a room somewhere crying her eyes out that us plebs have finally got (some) freedom rather than being stuck in the dystopian universe preferred by Christina and her fake SAGE cronies.

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Can someone do an intervention on this woman already please? Like does she have some mates who can get together and tell her to shut up?

I think she's basically spouting different hyposethese until she gets one right, she was wrong about most other things this year such as schools reopening - I totally respect her worry about the Indian variant, however Chris Whitty will have far more information on it than she does and he seems confident it won't affect too much so I'd rather stick with his optimistic view of the remainder of the year 

1 minute ago, Chapple12345 said:

I think she's basically spouting different hyposethese until she gets one right, she was wrong about most other things this year such as schools reopening - I totally respect her worry about the Indian variant, however Chris Whitty will have far more information on it than she does and he seems confident it won't affect too much so I'd rather stick with his optimistic view of the remainder of the year 

Even a broken clock is right twice a day, so who knows.

However, it’s a weird mindset to be this much of an angry mess over the idea that the plebs might be allowed to mingle indoors. I’m fed up of these morons trying to tell everyone what they can and can’t do. 

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

However, it’s a weird mindset to be this much of an angry mess over the idea that the plebs might be allowed to mingle indoors. I’m fed up of these morons trying to tell everyone what they can and can’t do. 

They seem to have the mindset things can never return to how they are, every day their goalposts are changing for what they want to see. They need more continuity in their ideas and frankly need to lighten up to the amazing improvements in data that are happening every day 

If (as seems the case according to those in the know scientifically) the variant causing this panic doesn’t reduce the efficacy of our current crop of vaccines does the worry of the overall effect it will have reduce immensely?

I mean it won’t have the knock on effect of over burdening the NHS or ultimately great numbers of deaths will it?

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

If (as seems the case according to those in the know scientifically) the variant causing this panic doesn’t reduce the efficacy of our current crop of vaccines does the worry of the overall effect it will have reduce immensely?

I mean it won’t have the knock on effect of over burdening the NHS or ultimately great numbers of deaths will it?

No, it shouldn't do, but they don't know for sure, so I guess they will just want to vaccinate as many people as possible in those areas. We have apparently loads of spare vaccines so send them to those areas and jab the young people.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

No, it shouldn't do, but they don't know for sure, so I guess they will just want to vaccinate as many people as possible in those areas. We have apparently loads of spare vaccines so send them to those areas and jab the young people.

Surely in order for a speedy vaccination programme of the younger generation in these areas to work effectively it needs to be accompanied by a lockdown in those areas to contain its spread out to other areas?

Otherwise its a bit like sticking a plaster on an axe wound.

Edited by JoeyT