When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

With this panic about cases going up slightly, are we forgetting that 

A. That surge testing is going to find asymptomatic cases especially in Bolton ...testing alot more than last year etc

B. We expected cases to go up after every release of restrictions so we have at least 3 different stages that cases didn't go up...so have quite alot of wiggle room in that regard. So starting this next stage from a much lower point than the scientists thought we would. even if cases go up now 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pryce said:

With this panic about cases going up slightly, are we forgetting that 

A. That surge testing is going to find asymptomatic cases especially in Bolton ...testing alot more than last year etc

B. We expected cases to go up after every release of restrictions so we have at least 3 different stages that cases didn't go up...so have quite alot of wiggle room in that regard. So starting this next stage from a much lower point than the scientists thought we would. even if cases go up now 

cases were going up already in Bolton, and then they identified the Indian variant there so started the surge testing to try and work out how bad and suppress it.

So my girlfriend applied to volunteer at one of the vaccination centres earlier today and shes already had her first shift - Tomorrow at 7:15am?!?

Incredible turn of events. For those who've also volunteered, will she be vaccinated herself tomorrow, or is this something they'll do after the shifts? She only needs to do 2 x 6hour shifts per month at the moment, hopefully it'll pick us as shes in the process of waiting for her PhD Viva so needs things to keep her busy!

1 minute ago, TheFullShaboo said:

So my girlfriend applied to volunteer at one of the vaccination centres earlier today and shes already had her first shift - Tomorrow at 7:15am?!?

Incredible turn of events. For those who've also volunteered, will she be vaccinated herself tomorrow, or is this something they'll do after the shifts? She only needs to do 2 x 6hour shifts per month at the moment, hopefully it'll pick us as shes in the process of waiting for her PhD Viva so needs things to keep her busy!

It depends a lot on the centre she is volunteering at and what stocks are available. I've been volunteering with St John Ambulance and got an AZ vaccine at the end of my first shift (about 7pm). If you're working mornings I guess leftovers would be less likely but they might treat her like a walk-in. I think it really depends but they seemed keen to get volunteers jabbed.

My SJA shift got cancelled last minute this morning due to a lack of afternoon appointment, but I've managed to bag a shift via the Good Sam app a lot more local to me. First time I've done one that isn't SJA organised. Seems quiet here too, despite being Pfizer apparently.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TheFullShaboo said:

It's likely, but not guaranteed, that she'll be offered a jab if she's not previously had one. However this could be muddied a bit by her age and what jab the centre is delivering - so for example if she's 23 and the centre is only delivering AZ that day, then she shouldn't be offered it.

Exactly when that happens is going to be down to the specific operations of the location - this can all vary by multiple factors but my guess is at the end of the shift.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It depends a lot on the centre she is volunteering at and what stocks are available. I've been volunteering with St John Ambulance and got an AZ vaccine at the end of my first shift (about 7pm). If you're working mornings I guess leftovers would be less likely but they might treat her like a walk-in. I think it really depends but they seemed keen to get volunteers jabbed.

My SJA shift got cancelled last minute this morning due to a lack of afternoon appointment, but I've managed to bag a shift via the Good Sam app a lot more local to me. First time I've done one that isn't SJA organised. Seems quiet here too, despite being Pfizer apparently.

1 minute ago, incident said:

It's likely, but not guaranteed, that she'll be offered a jab if she's not previously had one. However this could be muddied a bit by her age and what jab the centre is delivering - so for example if she's 23 and the centre is only delivering AZ that day, then she shouldn't be offered it.

Exactly when that happens is going to be down to the specific operations of the location - this can all vary by multiple factors but my guess is at the end of the shift.

Thanks for the responses. The role was taken to kill some time and to provide some help to those on the front line, so even the smallest chance of having the jab earlier than expected is nothing more than a nice bonus.

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

That first/second dose ratio in England is ugly. I want to see more people getting those antibodies, not people who are already vaccinated getting a second shot that doesn’t add much protection. 

Yep - especially as we have 2million doses "in-hand" or given before the 12W window. So we could switch tact to reduce this value and get the 1st does back up and running

5 minutes ago, Mimo said:

Which age band are the second doses on at the moment?

Some approximate numbers on this -

Over 65s opened on 14 Feb, at which point 15.3 million had been done.

Over 60s opened on 28 Feb, at which point 20.3 million had been done.

Over 56s opened on 7 Mar, at which point 22.4 million had been done.

Over 50s opened on 17 Mar, at which point 25.7 million had been done.

We're currently at 18.1 million second doses. 11 weeks before today was 24th Feb, at which we'd done 18.7 million first doses so we do appear to be very much on schedule.

Opening dates from NHS England - other countries and specific regions vary and may have gone sooner.

• Upvote 1