When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I've got no idea where the data is from, and questioning it is fine, but doing it on the basis that you haven't been asked is a bit daft.

The sarcasm was lost on you it seems. Also the irony of you questioning my sarcasm on the basis of it being daft.... 

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

This pisses me off...  how have we given such little thought to this..

London has given very little by the looks of it. Liverpool have made pedestrian paths where venues have taken outside space to serve like Lark Lane. I guess each council will have their own levels of stupidity. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Don't worry, it was sarcasm apparently 

Correct, the fact you thought it was a bit daft means you should really have known.... but wanted to try and be funny for the bants hey 🙂 

I guess one thing about what’s happening in Bolton is that there’ll quite quickly be data on how well the vaccines are working vs the variant. Not great perhaps for the locals who get to be lab rats for the rest of the nation.

What happens there in the next few weeks is going to dictate how much freedom we have this summer, so fingers crossed all round 😬

6 minutes ago, Havors said:

Thank you for that, I was just questioning whether it was another fake sage type of graph with made up data. 

I don’t think it is, the guy who put it together is a Mathematician who does alcohol policy modelling for Sheffield Uni. 

10 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

I think this is both great and scary...

I am a million miles away from a anti-vax person BUT the decision to inject your kid with an emergency approved vaccine isn't as straight forward as injecting yourself.

Just discussing with my wife and while we would probably do it I would imagine there is going to be a lot of debate on this one.

It's tricky - I guess it's needed as countries are going to want kids that age vaccinated before they're allowed in (as they can still bring in variants) which seems valid. But the child themselves isn't at risk. So it's whether it's worth them taking it to go on holiday.

28 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

This pisses me off...  how have we given such little thought to this..

There's only so much you can do though - only so much outdoor space and it's not viable for some places to be open unless they can seat a certain number of punters... in the same way we have had the conversation of economic damage versus saving lives with lockdown, you can have the conversation of economic damage versus inconveniencing disabled people.

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

One thing we know about COVID is it can't spread if you don't mix.  I think if the people of Bolton don't want to be lab rats they might want to start behaving in a different manner.  Obviously something is happening in Bolton that isn't happening in other towns around Greater Manchester.

Have they tried cutting Bolton and the surrounding areas off from the rest of the UK using a giant pizza cutter? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I don't believe for a second the rights of a pub to sell beer should restrict the absolute basic rights of disabled people to move around the streets.  All for outside dining and beer drinks - but you have to leave the streets passable. 

I'm minded to agree with you, but it's accepted that re-opening is going to cause cases to go up and there will be some deaths as a result of that- and more deaths by doing it now than doing it later after more people are vaccinated. It's not many, and the vast majority of us accept that as a price to pay for starting to get things open. But it does exist. So why are we happy to put pubs being able to open above a few extra people dying, but not above the rights of disabled people to move around the streets? Is it just that the COVID deaths aren't direct consequences so we can't see the link? Or is it just that we prioritise the convenience of a million wheelchair users over the lives of ten or so people?

Again, in my gut I agree with you but it's an interesting one to think about.

Germany’s cabinet approved plans this morning to allow people who have been fully-vaccinated against Covid-19, recovered or had a negative test to enter Germany without having to go into quarantine, a government source has told Reuters.

The changes do not apply to anyone coming from a high-risk or an area with a mutation of the virus. The easing applies only to people who have had a vaccine approved in the European Union, which so far are BioNTech/Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson.

7 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

When is the MHRA going to give the all clear to use the J&J vaccine? 

Seems to be ages since there's been a mention of it.

Quite possibly never.

The adenovirus vaccines won’t play a key role in the UK once those already one dose of AZ deep become fully vaccinated. 

55 minutes ago, Mimo said:

I guess one thing about what’s happening in Bolton is that there’ll quite quickly be data on how well the vaccines are working vs the variant. Not great perhaps for the locals who get to be lab rats for the rest of the nation.

What happens there in the next few weeks is going to dictate how much freedom we have this summer, so fingers crossed all round 😬

Not just this summer - IF there is already a variant that gets round the vaccine then we're in this very long term, and it will indeed be the "new normal" because not even vaccine passports could save us then

Though a version of them with daily testing probably would be the answer it wouldn't be ready yet 

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

Not just this summer - IF there is already a variant that gets round the vaccine then we're in this very long term, and it will indeed be the "new normal" because not even vaccine passports could save us then  

Thats a very big if. A full vaccine escape variant will need several mutations all in the same direction, and thats not massively likely. 

Edited by zahidf

5 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Though a version of them with daily testing probably would be the answer it wouldn't be ready yet 

Lucky that is isn't going to happen then