When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

59 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Haven’t we had a few warnings that there may be some restrictions over the winter months? Imagine it will be like from next week if vaccines etc stay like this.

Yeah but they can only stay in place if the legal restrictions are kept (against what the government timeline is). So they may only be suggested restrictions and not enforceable. Unless they don't lift the legal requirements.... 

I think by October though the government lose their temporary powers and the legal requirements have to be lifted. Unless they get another extension.... and we head down the path of totalitarianism and they keep the powers forever... 

Just now, Barry Fish said:

I do like to wind people up a bit but 99% of my posts are because I believe what I am saying 🙂 

There are an awful lot of people who dont like opinions they dont hold or accept people are allowed their own opinions... or understand the nuances of discussion. Hence a few trigger happy down voters clutching their pearls. 

8 minutes ago, Havors said:

Yeah but they can only stay in place if the legal restrictions are kept (against what the government timeline is). So they may only be suggested restrictions and not enforceable. Unless they don't lift the legal requirements.... 

I think by October though the government lose their temporary powers and the legal requirements have to be lifted. Unless they get another extension.... and we head down the path of totalitarianism and they keep the powers forever... 

No way will they go into winter respiratory season without the powers to put the brakes on quickly. They'll 100% be extended 

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

No way will they go into winter respiratory season without the powers to put the brakes on quickly. They'll 100% be extended 

Quite possibly.... that will be the pretext to forever keep the powers... 

They should not be given the extension but there is nobody to stop them. There will be a respiratory season every year and covid is never going away, should they retain the powers forever? 

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

Yeah - I was more meaning there is a lot of chatter about perm changes to lots of peoples behaviours.  I find such suggestions on thin ice.  

Permanent changes are sadly inevitable. Not of the social distancing/mask variety necessarily, but of the impact all this has to mental health. Too many people I know have developed social anxiety as a result of this. My own mum, probably the most pragmatic person I know, became worryingly mentally unhealthy due to the enforced changes. It’s hard to see how things will snap back to any sense of normalcy even when The Rules are eased. In many cases, the damage has been done. 

23 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I think we all know that Christina is serous and the people saying they are going to hug everyone in the pub aren't. 

Right, but the latter are seriously saying, "well, I *could* legally hug everyone in the pub so why do I have to wear a mask there?"

We'd have had a lot lighter lockdown all-round if people could have used judgement throughout, but it's proven time and again they can't, hence the very slow re-opening.

Talking of pubs, what are the rules surrounding music volume & live music both currently and as of May 17th?

Am I right in thinking music can't be played too loud and live music isn't allowed yet or am I thinking back to summer of last year and the rules have now in fact changed?

10 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Right, but the latter are seriously saying, "well, I *could* legally hug everyone in the pub so why do I have to wear a mask there?"

We'd have had a lot lighter lockdown all-round if people could have used judgement throughout, but it's proven time and again they can't, hence the very slow re-opening.

I don't know about that.  Hospitality demand was very soft last year when everyone was allowed in the pubs, because lots of people are not stupid and knew that the virus could easily come back without immunity in the population.  Now people are vaccinated, demand is stronger.

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

Why do you call anyone with a difference of an opinion a troll ? 🙂   

Does it make living in a echo chamber easier ? 

I mean I think a lot of the view points here are stupid and I disagree with them but other than @steviewevieI don't think anyone is really trolling lol.

Yet you accuse everyone who disagrees with you of being a troll. The lack of self awareness is impressive.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

No I have to disagree.  The vaccines are the game changer.  What happened last time has no bearing.  And I went to the pubs last time and it was all pretty well behaved.  

Not sure Christina does pubs...

Yeah but we're in a world where the media is allowing more cautious voices like hers to be heard. And in that environment there's a decent amount of compliance. My argument is without any voice that pushes back a bit, people would swing further towards thinking it's all absolutely fine and they may as well start licking doorknobs again.

Were I the sort of conspiracy theorist that thought the government were capable of this sort of thing, I'd probably think Indie SAGE were government sock puppets so I the govt. can officially give positive news while having the cautious notes come from what appears to be somewhere else to help with compliance while not making it look like we are holding people back.

I don't think it's that well thought out, but it is the ideal situation for the government.

43 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

I just can't be arsed because you've had it explained multiple times throughout this thread. It's boring to read, unfunny, and doesn't need to be posted (alternated with "muzzle" or some other sneery variation) literally every single page for the past six months.

This thread is circling the fucking drain at this point and I can't wait until the day I see a lock next to it.

The ignore user function has saved this thread for me. Provides 95% protection against Trumpy posts, highly recommended. 

1 hour ago, Havors said:

There are an awful lot of people who dont like opinions they dont hold or accept people are allowed their own opinions... or understand the nuances of discussion. Hence a few trigger happy down voters clutching their pearls.

It's an interesting take considering the thread now is mostly people reacting negatively to "fake Sage" or anyone else that dares offer a cautions or dissenting voice.

3 minutes ago, Gregfc15 said:

It's an interesting take considering the thread now is mostly people reacting negatively to "fake Sage" or anyone else that dares offer a cautions or dissenting voice.

I think indy sage are beyond a cautious voice. Every single thing that they tweet is relentlessly negative.

Also, thing have shifted in the thread to reflect the position we find ourselves in in the UK. Things are looking up. 0 deaths yday in England, scotland and NI. Positivity is needed with a balance of concern about variants. And when I mean concern I don't mean for average joes, I mean for expert scientists.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Looking forward to the “sEE? lOcKDowNS dOn’t wORK!!1” folk pointing to the levelling off as if the horrific rise immediately prior, which would have been significantly prevented with lockdowns and face nappies, is somehow irrelevant. 

Edited by kalifire

6 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Looking forward to the “sEE? lOcKDowNS dOn’t wORK!!1” folk pointing to the levelling off as if the horrific rise immediately prior, which would have been significantly prevented with lockdowns and face nappies, is somehow irrelevant. 

Are there any lockdowns don’t work folk in here? 

6 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Wales are absolutely flying aren't they!

Yep, very impressive vaccine rollout. 30 cases is mental- probs a few false positives in there too. Could it be basically wiped out in wales? Still a good chunk to be vaccinated too to stamp it out more.

I was reading about how you get increasing returns the more jabs you do, so an extra 8% of people on first jab in Wales is making a big big difference. Daring to believe that we might be able to all but eliminate it over the summer, imagine that…

3 minutes ago, Mimo said:

I was reading about how you get increasing returns the more jabs you do, so an extra 8% of people on first jab in Wales is making a big big difference. Daring to believe that we might be able to all but eliminate it over the summer, imagine that…

If not we’ll come very close to doing so, it certainly bodes very well for us to leave the pandemic behind and hopefully we don’t see any uptick in the Winter either.