When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

Surely this would have been thought of in relation to any kind of vaccine passports?

It's probably a question worth asking at the screening appointment. On the J&J trial they were clear that they didn't want participants to lose out by taking part, but it was early days in terms of the vaccine rollout and covid passports weren't even a thing. By the time we got to unblinding, they were issuing certificates for those who had the vaccine. Worth asking what the process is.

My experience was similar to the other response - a few hours with NHS research staff in a converted library! Very thorough and lots of opportunities to ask questions. No payment for the J&J trial though - only expenses if you requested them.

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

I see a lot of this about and to be honest if you felt that way I don't see why you didn't pass on taking the vaccine until everyone else had been done. If everyone who has had the vaccine already but now claims we should open up right away as COVID is basically harmless, those vaccines could have gone to the hesitant people resisting re-opening and we'd have most of them done by now.

It does seem ridiculous that you're there saying you didn't need the vaccine anyway, and I'm here saying I'm not going out and contributing to the economy until I've had it, yet you'd happily take it before me!

Not in that position now but have been in the past in my life. Likewise I have a friend in that position right now - emigrated to Europe to beat the Brexit deadline, hard to make friends in lockdown! It's not infeasible.

Because when I was offered a vaccine, the only options offered were yes please or no thank you. There was no “defer your vaccine and let Deano L have it instead” option.

I’m glad I’ve been vaccinated for a few reasons. Mainly because it reduces my risk of having to self-isolate, reduces my chance of passing it to someone etc, qualifies me for a vaccine passport if they come in, and makes the covidphobics among my friendship group more willing to mix with me. That’s not to say I wouldn’t be taking full advantage of the reopenings if I hadn’t been vaccinated. 

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

My sister was diagnosed with type 1 aged 7 … I was diagnosed at 32 … likely because of some genetic imbalance with parents … family history is very very distant … very common misconception it’s always down to obesity … Type 1 and 2 are very different … and really should be named differently … I had some issues with eyesight , drinking and pissing loads through the night and just a general shit feeling , I went to dr and was diagnosed on the spot … bit of education on this here and I’ve divulged slightly … please look out for any of these symptoms … I was lucky and was able to get released from hospital the same day … but it can be far worse .. hopefully this post will give someone a nudge at some point in the future … 

My daughter was diagnosed 2 weeks ago and she’s 8.  It’s really tough and worrying.  She’s bloody amazing youth which makes it much easier.

48 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I think this is a partial truth...

Phase 1 was...  I don't think Phase 2 is...

I agree with this. Saying that anybody offered it should contemplate standing to one side and allowing someone else is missing the point. By doing that you're causing logistical problems which would be avoided if you just took up the offer when invited. As has also been pointed out, having your jab is for the greater good, not just for your own personal benefit.

28 minutes ago, SophieBee said:

It's probably a question worth asking at the screening appointment. On the J&J trial they were clear that they didn't want participants to lose out by taking part, but it was early days in terms of the vaccine rollout and covid passports weren't even a thing. By the time we got to unblinding, they were issuing certificates for those who had the vaccine. Worth asking what the process is.

My experience was similar to the other response - a few hours with NHS research staff in a converted library! Very thorough and lots of opportunities to ask questions. No payment for the J&J trial though - only expenses if you requested them.

Bethnal green library?

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Out of interest did she get paid to be part of the trial?

There's the potential for £600 (£550 minimum) for this over the course of the trial.

I've been looking at doing this trial as well, but have been a bit hesitant because of the vaccine passport stuff as well. But then 600 quid (and a vaccine) would be quite nice right now! 

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Often when you are paid on a trial its basically to cover costs.  Is this the case or is it just £600 in the back pocket ? 

Flashbacks to getting on to a medical trial back in Uni and going up to Leeds for it. I was completely buzzing to get 3 grand for watching Sky Sports and going on the internet for 10 days...got sent home on the second day because my bloodwork was a tiny bit out compared to the day before.

GUTTED. 

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

Everyone needs to see that - especially now we're on about letting leisure travel happen pretty soon. The hysteria over variants surely doesn't match up with that decision 

Though it'll be so annoying if foreign holidays are allowed yet they do keep some restrictions past 21st June on hospitality. Considering variants are what we're supposed to be scared of now, as we're told they could put us back into lockdown 

1 hour ago, sisco said:

My daughter was diagnosed 2 weeks ago and she’s 8.  It’s really tough and worrying.  She’s bloody amazing youth which makes it much easier.

Any concerns / worries don’t hesitate to DM me … tech has moved on incredibly of late and there’s some stuff that might help once things have settled both you and her 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Any concerns / worries don’t hesitate to DM me … tech has moved on incredibly of late and there’s some stuff that might help once things have settled both you and her 

Thank you, really appreciate that.