When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Yes she is saying now (change of tune) what the real experts have said all along.  Schools don't drive transmission.

When background rates are low. It means we were right to open schools when we did and if she opposed that(I don't know if she did) that she was wrong on that front, but it doesn't mean that schools shouldn't have been closed in January when the place was riddled with COVID as you seem to be suggesting.

34 minutes ago, EasyUserName said:

I am curious to see how the potential impacts longer term play out.  I was talking to someone the other day who has asked their employer if they could stay working from home, as they want to move abroad full time to a house they own.  I thought it was an interesting idea, as they were expecting to keep their London salary, but the area they move to has significantly lower local wages.  There are so many implications of this sort of a move that make it all very interesting to see how it all unfolds. 

You could live like a king in Eastern Europe if you were still being paid a London salary.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

whether I'm at the office or at home, if I don't do the work I get found out in the end.

For me the main difference with being in office is discussing stuff with other humans, in a room with whiteboards, throwing ideas around as if we're mad men or something....can't really replicate that when all working remotely.

I agree, I changed jobs in lockdown and I'm now a home worker was a home based roll pre lockdown anyway and I really thought long and hard about it due to not having that sort of office environment. 

The tools that are out there just don't replicate that sort of environment yet.

Really interesting debate throws up more and more questions. 

I worked day at home pre pandemic now 2 or 3 days at home every week . Don't see that changing . My team been in probably 1 or 2 days a fortnight as useful for some functions .

My wife has wfh whole time and changed jobs in September 20 has found lack of support a real problem and can't wait to go back to office .

The thought of closing expensive office bases in places like London is obviously a huge incentive for loads of private companies but as said earlier if staff work from outside boundaries will companies suddenly start reducing salaries I think many will 

2 hours ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

The people who took the piss in the office take the piss even more so at home. 

Working at home takes a lot of self discipline and a level of respect to yourself, your employer and your colleagues. 

Or a different culture. 

How are these people being allowed to "take the piss"? Do they not have things they have to deliver? Like, actual work, that has to be done, with an end result?

If not, how are they actually adding any value to your business?

I don't deny these people exist, that just used to "turn up" and draw a wage. But the problem isn't the people, it's that the jobs exist in the first place. 

If you start assessing staff performance on what people actually deliver, the need for self-discipline is greatly reduced because you have to do the work. If you do it between 9am and 5pm or 1am and 7am it really makes little difference to the employer. But you're going to do it at some point. 

1 hour ago, stuie said:

But I think that you are of that opinion because that’s what you want and it works for your job. 

There’s another category other than furloughed people and working from home people and that’s just about managing. Lots of companies are surviving by implementing this emergency working situation but it’s not as efficient or effective as their pre pandemic model. 

That's true to a degree, but it's certainly going to be challenging for those companies in the future, especially if they're looking at workers with skillsets where home working is viable at other companies. Very few people will be choosing the daily commute over home working if the wage is the same.

32 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

I agree, I changed jobs in lockdown and I'm now a home worker was a home based roll pre lockdown anyway and I really thought long and hard about it due to not having that sort of office environment. 

The tools that are out there just don't replicate that sort of environment yet.

Our company are making noises about turning offices into more collaborative working environments - so you and your team would go in however often you needed to and do all the collaborative whiteboard stuff but do the desk-based work from home. Seems sensible to me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

Yes she is saying now (change of tune) what the real experts have said all along.  Schools don't drive transmission.

Nothing "drives" transmission. Why would it? Schools just mean additional contacts, which means an increase in transmission - just like shops, offices, and everything else. 

But if you shut down all that stuff except for schools, and then talk about "community transmission" - where do you think that community transmission is coming from? The one bit of the community still open!

15 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Our company are making noises about turning offices into more collaborative working environments - so you and your team would go in however often you needed to and do all the collaborative whiteboard stuff but do the desk-based work from home. Seems sensible to me.

Same at our place. I'm all for it - pre-COVID I worked from home a fair bit anyway, but often when I did go into the office I'd find there was hardly anyone else there. Or I'd end up spending most of the day on conference calls & hardly talk to anyone face to face!

Much more sensible to only go in when there's a real purpose to spend time with your team.

It is tricky to replicate those "water cooler" moments where you have a five minute chat with a colleague that sparks new thinking, helps build a relationship or works out a new way to solve a problem. But in 2021 the tools are there for organisations to solve this problem, if they give employees permission to work like human beings not robots. 🙂

38 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

Same at our place. I'm all for it - pre-COVID I worked from home a fair bit anyway, but often when I did go into the office I'd find there was hardly anyone else there. Or I'd end up spending most of the day on conference calls & hardly talk to anyone face to face!

Much more sensible to only go in when there's a real purpose to spend time with your team.

It is tricky to replicate those "water cooler" moments where you have a five minute chat with a colleague that sparks new thinking, helps build a relationship or works out a new way to solve a problem. But in 2021 the tools are there for organisations to solve this problem, if they give employees permission to work like human beings not robots. 🙂

Very much agree.   I once went down to London from Edinburgh (pre-Covid) to meet my colleagues there and  then spent most of the day in audio calls with them.  This past year my team has worked hard to try and create "water cooler" moments by having casual zoom calls but we are all longing to actually meet each other.    In saying that we do work in widely distanced office locations so we have never all met in one location.

I think another thing that companies need to consider with future WFH arrangements is the potential increase in staff turnover. If teams can’t collaborate and build personal relationships in an office environment, then I guess they are much more likely to jump ship to another job that pays more.
I know I’ve certainly stayed at a job for longer than I should have, purely for the enjoyment and social side of the people I worked with. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, fraybentos1 said:

Covid is basically done domestically. Just a case of waiting now for everything to open up and deaths to keep dropping and hospitals to be cleared. Mental how much has changed in 2 months and how good these vaccines are!

Yep it’s amazing stuff from the scientists imagine the position we would be in if things continued for the normal time it takes to develop a vaccine … I guess we would have to develop the herd immunity through infection ? Would there have been any other choice ? Looking forward to an ever improving situation in the U.K. to start .. 

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

second jab booked for a week on fri … yay 🙂 

for those waiting to book the second dose the text came through almost exactly 10 weeks from the first jab  🙂 

I managed to book both of my jabs at the same time 10 weeks apart. 

Just now, squirrelarmy said:

I managed to book both of my jabs at the same time 10 weeks apart. 

Depends where you get them … the gp hubs don’t let u book the second at the time … the mass vaccination centres do it appears 

16 minutes ago, st dan said:

I think another thing that companies need to consider with future WFH arrangements is the potential increase in staff turnover. If teams can’t collaborate and build personal relationships in an office environment, then I guess they are much more likely to jump ship to another job that pays more.
I know I’ve certainly stayed at a job for longer than I should have, purely for the enjoyment and social side of the people I worked with. 

and the opposite is possible if you work with a bunch of tossers.

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Fake SAGE calls for continued restrictions since the cases are still to high...:-/

P

That's mental - how is that even necessary? Australia had an unexposed and unvaccinated vulnerable population so it may have made sense to stamp on any outbreaks there with a vaccine on the way

But thats not where we are at all