When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

I couldn't see that this was answered, sorry if it has. No there hasn't been anything yet, they have pushed back their announcement on international travel from May 1st too 'early May'.

Thanks! I haven't really seen he press ask the question, but it's pretty important for families with children thinking of summer holidays

1 minute ago, Mr.Tease said:

Thanks! I haven't really seen he press ask the question, but it's pretty important for families with children thinking of summer holidays

No worries. This story is the lead on The Guardian at the moment - https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/may/03/uk-likely-to-give-green-light-for-travel-to-fewer-than-10-eu-countries

I could see confirmation of a negative test being needed for kids but it would be country specific.

30 minutes ago, zero000 said:

Interesting thread thanks for sharing. It will be interesting to see if these predictions come to reality.

I’m not sure on the term “covid anxiety syndrome” however. It’s needlessly pathologising of people’s anxiety, which is understandable. 

I agree, I work in mental health and am very dubious about the invention of names/labels/syndromes for what are really natural reactions to a situation (they even invented something called 'oppositional defiant disorder' a few years ago for kids who defy authority figures🤦‍♂️).

Why wouldn't people be anxious about changing their routines once again after everything that's happened this past year? It's difficult to feel safe again after experiencing a pandemic, and some people will understandably take a while to fathom things out and should be free to re-integrate at their own pace rather than be labelled as suffering from a condition (which will likely just make them feel more anxious!)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

COVID anxiety syndrome is definitely a thing. Especially in regard to offices. Lots of people not comfortable with coming back yet

Sadly a lot of them will go out and do other things though.  Think there’ll be a few problems with that coming up soon 

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

COVID anxiety syndrome is definitely a thing. Especially in regard to offices. Lots of people not comfortable with coming back yet

Anxiety is definitely a thing (and a very natural one), 'covid anxiety syndrome' is made up term by a bunch of people who sat in a room and literally made it up!

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

COVID anxiety syndrome is definitely a thing. Especially in regard to offices. Lots of people not comfortable with coming back yet.

Handy excuse for people not wanting to go back to the office. Wonder how many of them are looking forward to go to the pub or their mates houses.

2 minutes ago, sisco said:

Sadly a lot of them will go out and do other things though.  Think there’ll be a few problems with that coming up soon 

Not really, it's only a problem if people get rushed into things they're not ready to do. Starting off trying out social things might be a good first step for a lot of people- and if they learn to feel safe doing that (something nice), then it might make them feel safe enough to try going into offices.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Handy excuse for people not wanting to go back to the office. Wonder how many of them are looking forward to go to the pub or their mates houses.

If someones very anxious about mixing with people again, wouldn't it make more sense for people to try something they liked doing first, rather than something shite?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Not really, it's only a problem if people get rushed into things they're not ready to do. Starting off trying out social things might be a good first step for a lot of people- and if they learn to feel safe doing that (something nice), then it might make them feel safe enough to try going into offices.

Some people will have no problem going for meals, pubs or days out each day but suddenly can’t go into the office... Come on now, it’ll be the new bad back syndrome.  Sadly some people will always take advantage of the situation 

10 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

so how would you explain it for non office workers ? have they made it up in their heads ..... I wouldn't give it a name ... but anxiety is definately a thing as many people have been trying to avoid contact for over a year now ... you cant just flip that switch  and office workers might be some of those that do have issues .... 

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

To be fair, most psychological terms are literally made up by people. In fact, so is all language.

Sounds like your suffering from 'Forum Poster's Syndrome' to me 😉

A lot of the boom in 'syndromes' is driven by insurers in the US (and the fact a lot of the time people can't get services or support without an official diagnosis) taken too far and it just turns peoples natural, understandable feelings into a 'condition' they're 'suffering' from- think it's counter productive (though there was big debate over this when the DSM V diagnostic manual conjured up a whole host of new syndromes!), particularly in this case- who's honestly got the right to say what the correct level and speed of re-integration is for every single person?

https://www.nursingtimes.net/news/behind-the-headlines/controversy-over-dsm-5-new-mental-health-guide-24-08-2013/

https://www.goodtherapy.org/blog/controversy-changes-dsm-diagnosis-1205127

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

so how would you explain it for non office workers ? have they made it up in their heads ..... I wouldn't give it a name ... but anxiety is definately a thing as many people have been trying to avoid contact for over a year now ... you cant just flip that switch  and office workers might be some of those that do have issues .... 

You are H?!! Knew it couldn't be the other guy....

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, sisco said:

Some people will have no problem going for meals, pubs or days out each day but suddenly can’t go into the office... Come on now, it’ll be the new bad back syndrome.  Sadly some people will always take advantage of the situation 

Anxiety doesn't work like that- it's like saying if you're not afraid of lions, then why should you be afraid of house spiders? Some people can do presentations and gigs in front of thousands of people, but are terrified of talking to strangers.

Going out for a meal or a pub is a short term event, you're with friends and you have the ability to leave at any point- that all helps you feel safe. With work, it can be more confined, you're not with friends and you feel stuck there all day.

Edited by Mr.Tease

15 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

If someones very anxious about mixing with people again, wouldn't it make more sense for people to try something they liked doing first, rather than something shite?

I agree completely, everyone suffers differently but I think it's fair to think that if someone is feeling anxious about going back out then a good start would be to do things they like doing with people they trust rather than the opposite. Businesses putting pressure on their staff to come back will likely impact anxiety levels in a negative way as well.

In all honesty there really isn't any reason why a flexible way of working can't be put fun place with staff choosing when they come into the office.

15 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Totally agree with your comments on this. Let’s not default to think the worst of people eh? Plenty of people are genuinely incredibly anxious about this and returning to normal life. Let’s worry about them and not the minority who will cry wolf. It’s such a w*nky, office culture presenteeism way to look at it. Let’s not care about anyone because of the few who will take advantage...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 6

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I agree completely, everyone suffers differently but I think it's fair to think that if someone is feeling anxious about going back out then a good start would be to do things they like doing with people they trust rather than the opposite. Businesses putting pressure on their staff to come back will likely impact anxiety levels in a negative way as well.

In all honesty there really isn't any reason why a flexible way of working can't be put fun place with staff choosing when they come into the office.

Not all jobs work like that sadly.  Going over old ground but lots of jobs need you to go in.  I have people in my team that do different roles, that’s where the problems come in.  Especially when you have some saying they don’t want to come in when they’re anxious and others have to.  Then you have the ones who have to seeing the ones who are to anxious to go in doing all these wonderful things.  Whether people here agree I can assure you it causes issues.

12 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Sounds like your suffering from 'Forum Poster's Syndrome' to me 😉

A lot of the boom in 'syndromes' is driven by insurers in the US (and the fact a lot of the time people can't get services or support without an official diagnosis) taken too far and it just turns peoples natural, understandable feelings into a 'condition' they're 'suffering' from- think it's counter productive (though there was big debate over this when the DSM V diagnostic manual conjured up a whole host of new syndromes!), particularly in this case- who's honestly got the right to say what the correct level and speed of re-integration is for every single person?

https://www.nursingtimes.net/news/behind-the-headlines/controversy-over-dsm-5-new-mental-health-guide-24-08-2013/

https://www.goodtherapy.org/blog/controversy-changes-dsm-diagnosis-1205127

I agree, I think a lot of these labels simplify and compartmentalise the human condition.

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I know this is a reference to line of duty .... unfortunately im one of the few that hasnt watched it 😞 

'Definitely' spelled wrong in messages ordering murders and other nefarious acts. Seems careless for a criminal genius!

3 minutes ago, sisco said:

Not all jobs work like that sadly.  Going over old ground but lots of jobs need you to go in.  I have people in my team that do different roles, that’s where the problems come in.  Especially when you have some saying they don’t want to come in when they’re anxious and others have to.  Then you have the ones who have to seeing the ones who are to anxious to go in doing all these wonderful things.  Whether people here agree I can assure you it causes issues.

We don't know the battles that some might be going through in their own minds, people will still feel anxious their future of working and I don't think we should quickly jump on people just because they are out doing other things.

I appreciate not all jobs can be done remotely but for the jobs that have been done remotely through the last 13 months then there really isn't any reason why those people can't work flexibly going forward.