When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

10 minutes ago, JoshD said:

Very impressive, but they’re now in the position of opening jabs to anyone, your choice of vaccine. That’s actually bad news as it means supply is outstripping demand and they are approaching the limit of voluntary uptake. Even if it takes us a month or so longer I’d be happier with our track where uptake is well above 90%. More people wanting doses than we can supply despite being among the earliest and fastest in the world is the “right problem to have” as they say. 

Besides, the UK still has a higher proportion vaccinated than the US. With their uptake issues, they may never overtake us.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

In the last year how often has anyone had a bad cold or flu? Mask wearing has been brought in to combat Covid but it’s also reduced the level of common illnesses too.

I agree, mask wearing has reducing bugs all round. I wouldn’t be surprised if they want them to be worn inside public areas during next winter.

16 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Interesting

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on it. I obviously want to go to these events if they happen, but I think there's no real scientific basis for allowing them.

I'm also still not convinced it's going to be approved after the events, but the timing will help push the positivity for the local elections. We can then get some honesty on the plans after 21st June hopefully  

I saw a scientist interview saying it'd so important we keep prevalence down over summer ahead of the winter period. And obviously this sort of thing goes against that aim

Realistically to achieve that we need a set of parameters whereby if cases go above a certain number then areas get restrictions put back on them, cancelling mass gatherings by default as no insurance. Hopefully not where we end up 

7 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on it. I obviously want to go to these events if they happen, but I think there's no real scientific basis for allowing them.

I'm also still not convinced it's going to be approved after the events, but the timing will help push the positivity for the local elections. We can then get some honesty on the plans after 21st June hopefully  

I saw a scientist interview saying it'd so important we keep prevalence down over summer ahead of the winter period. And obviously this sort of thing goes against that aim

Realistically to achieve that we need a set of parameters whereby if cases go above a certain number then areas get restrictions put back on them, cancelling mass gatherings by default as no insurance. Hopefully not where we end up 

The scientific basis is that they are trials to see how safe they are with cases low. Answer will be safe hoepfully

Well that's moving the goalposts by saying that we need restrictions when case numbers are low 'just in case ' when loads of the population are vaccinated 

But I think it's more likely that these results will be used an excuse to show that these events can go ahead with no restrictions. That may change if cases start rising, but if we stay on top with booster shots then I don't think social distancing will be needed.

Edited by zahidf

3 hours ago, stuie said:

But we aren’t allowed ‘in’ a restaurant now? I was wondering if when we are allowed to dine inside if we’ll have to wear masks on the way to the table and for toilet trips like before? 

If you break into a restaurant, you don't have to wear a mask.

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

Is there any scientific basis not to have these events?

13 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56966731

I am due to go to a family wedding reception on 5 June, but would be off the list if capacity remains low (which is absolutely fine - just want them to be happy). The wording here is ambiguous to say the least - is there a limit on attendees in June or is that scrapped but distancing remains?

It's not clear but my guess when June is mentioned that they mean June 21st. Not seen anything to indicate any big changes outside the main dates. But maybe I'd be interpreting it that way so I could get out of attending the wedding?

Full bars but they expect people to wear masks and follow a one way system 😂 I'm done with this shit. Just waiting for everyone else to realise this pandemics over and rules like this beyond June are dumb

10 minutes ago, Rex2 said:

Full bars but they expect people to wear masks and follow a one way system 😂 I'm done with this shit. Just waiting for everyone else to realise this pandemics over and rules like this beyond June are dumb

Lots of rules defy logic at the moment really. I just find them funny now.

I think the wearing masks between equipment at the gym rule is up there with the most bizarre.

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Lots of rules defy logic at the moment really. I just find them funny now.

I think the wearing masks between equipment at the gym rule is up there with the most bizarre.

Luckily my gym has no mask wearing and that tape has gone from the floor along with the requirement to wipe down every piece of equipment after use. Currently a haven of normality. 

At the peak I was 100% behind restrictions and feel at times we should have gone further. What they're suggesting after June is madness

17 minutes ago, Rex2 said:

It seems very odd doesn’t it. If the pub is full and people are drinking they won’t have masks on anyway? 

I never believed all restrictions would fully go on 21 june. It was just the latest ploy to get people to maintain compliance with restrictions and a light at the end of the tunnel

The moment the last 18 year old gets their first jab (plus 2 weeks?) all restrictions should be dropped. If that doesnt happen then its truly madness. Hopefully by end of july start of august everything should be gone.

by such time i think you’ll be able to expect a significant majority of people to not be complying with any restrictions anyway. Masks and One way systems in busy pubs / bars wont be adhered to and it will be barely worth enforcing.

Edited by Memory Man