When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Double masking being a Fauci idea of course. 

The same man that now argues that states without mask and social distancing mandates are doing better than states with strict measures still in place because the people in the latter states have let their guard down. 

Yes you read that correctly, maskless states are doing better because states with mask mandates some people have stopped wearing masks and it’s spreading covid 🤡🤡🤡 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, zahidf said:

She's sensible here for once. No pointless lockdowns being suggested.

Not a bad article, but still makes unproven claims to reinforce her points/wider stance i.e. that the Brazilian variant 'seems to be able to reinfect people who have already had Covid-19' and the Indian variant is 'potentially more transmissible and severe', and implying that the vaccines do not work against the SA variant. 

5 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

It's the repetitiveness of the articles that wear me down.

We won't be safe to everyone is safe 

How many times can someone be paid to write the same article over and over again 

Maybe until some people get the message...?

46 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Not a bad article, but still makes unproven claims to reinforce her points/wider stance i.e. that the Brazilian variant 'seems to be able to reinfect people who have already had Covid-19' and the Indian variant is 'potentially more transmissible and severe', and implying that the vaccines do not work against the SA variant. 

She outright said the AZ vaccine “didn’t work” against the SA variant a few weeks back. She seems to get on TV a lot but she doesn’t seem all that credible.

1 hour ago, Kusy said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56899764

"Researchers in Spain have found "no sign" of higher levels of infection among people who took part in a large test concert last month.

Six people tested positive within 14 days of attending the gig in Barcelona, but the incidence was lower than that seen in the general population.

Around 5,000 music fans took part in the experiment after testing negative for Covid-19."

Sweet!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Vaccinated people "Up to 50% less likely to pass on the virus" - that's come down. Would make testing more of a realistic option than vaccine passports (internally) if that is where the numbers end up

Depends on what evidence. Never going to get a definitive figure but 50-80% as it seems to be is enough for herd immunity.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

So the flat and declining cases in Manchester haven't been able to hold out with the shops and pubs open. Hopefully the vaccine effect will start to negate this soon, before they start to get rising properly:

0_Greater-Manchester-Tues-27-April-2021-1.jpg

These numbers are still really very very good. Considering its Week 3 after retail and hospitality open. Can get lost sometimes when tracking it daily. 

I thought we'd be discussing postponement of step 3 by now after case rises and now I'm almost the opposite!

12 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Blair vs Cameron wouldn't of gone the same way as Brown vs Cameron.  Cameron beat Brown by being more Tony Blair.  You can't beat Tony Blair at being Tony Blair! 

He was still easily popular enough in the country to win an election and he was still popular enough amongst Labour Party MPs to survive any leadership attempt.

It'll always be one of those 'what if's' - Blair was definitely on a downward trajectory and when he left office his popularity rating was barely above 30%. That said, it wasn't much higher when he secured a majority of 66 in Parliament on his third win, so it's entirely possible he could have won for a fourth time, although I doubt it would have been easy. I think he'd have performed better than Brown.

Keir Starmer's popularity rating is currently only fractionally less than Blair's was at the time of the second Labour landslide, but such comparisons are meaningless now. Brexit, Covid and the ever degenerating political memory and general malleability of voters means anything can happen.

The Corbyn era proved that sensational lies trump somebody moral but boring, because the cult of personality and the persuasiveness of simple messaging (regardless of truth) are an almost insurmountably powerful combination.

Starmer hasn't fixed the 'boring' problem Labour have, which isn't to be underestimated, sadly. He's a forensically talented dullard. The best we can hope for is a Tory civil war - for Boris to be taken down from the inside and replaced with somebody who's less adept at 'character politics'. Hopefully that's what we're starting to see happen.

Edited by kalifire

14 hours ago, xxialac said:

Yes, in the face of your hostility. 

Whatever mate. I just said you were chatting tosh. If you take that as ‘hostility’ that’s your issue. 

1 hour ago, stuie said:

Whatever mate. I just said you were chatting tosh. If you take that as ‘hostility’ that’s your issue. 

You could have just disagreed and explained your thinking, instead of launching an ad hominem attack.

There are a tonne of articles about how humans are social conformists and thus making masks more mandatory could lead to them being worn more often and reliably (as is the case in e.g. parts of Europe).

"One key persuasion method is portraying consensus. When you show people that an attitude is shared (or not) by others, they are more likely to adopt it. Seeing someone wearing a mask makes it more likely that others will do the same. Persuasion strategies could therefore focus on making sure that people perceive mask wearing as widespread – perhaps by depicting it frequently in the media or by making it mandatory in certain places."

https://theconversation.com/what-psychology-can-tell-us-about-why-some-people-dont-wear-masks-and-how-to-change-their-minds-150343

When indoor concerts open up in the UK requiring maskwearing, I predict a lot of people will ignore the rule and take them off because of the kind of attitudes we see on here. This will in turn cause problems. And this wouldn't have happened if maskwearing was more deeply ingrained in society through (temporary) mandatory outdoor use.

We shall see....