When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I think all day outdoors is impractical because of the weather - their effectiveness drops when wet so if it rains what do you do? Just keep a pointless wet mask on all day?

Also how much do bar takings contribute to profits? 

I think bar takings basically are the profits and most festivals barely break even until they’ve been run.

can see bar/ food staff having to wear masks through next summer potentially. Depends what the data is saying by then as if cases and measures are good enough to stop anyone getting in with covid then it’s very much 6 belts and 4 pairs of braces 

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

Am not suggesting for a minute that masks should be worn for outdoor concerts later in the year, especially if people are tested beforehand.

Indoors is where the difficulties lie and will do for some time.

i get you- I'm still thinking no standing indoor gigs til 2022, I'm only becoming slightly more confident of summer outdoor ones (with testing) because of this liverpool pilot. 

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

i get you- I'm still thinking no standing indoor gigs til 2022, I'm only becoming slightly more confident of summer outdoor ones (with testing) because of this liverpool pilot. 

Hear you but why not take advantage of a proven model that works elsewhere.

2 positive cases potentially (not even guaranteed) linked to the concert out of 5,000 attendees is far from superspreading and surely shows how indoor concerts can be run with an acceptable risk.

And the concert took place when covid numbers in the population were quite high too. This will fall in the Summer.

And then at some point, test the same without masks (taking advantage of greater vaccinated numbers) and move to the endgame...

9 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

So today I was able to book my covid vaccination but the only options they gave were over 20 miles away. Surely they could give you nearer options but have the date be further away. I don't drive so there's no way I could get to the places they were showing. It says to check back but now when I go back in it says because you didn't attend your appointment. I never had an appointment to attend!!

The ones you book online are for the larger vaccination centres. If your contacted they tend to be for your smaller local vaccination hubs.

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

This all day long - I know which will have more people 🙂

Really ? ... thing is we really don’t ... we can assume stuff and work on a probable ... but there is and will be hestitancy amongst some in the return to normal ... 

2 hours ago, gordong said:

Ouch, that is grim. Surely there is no way that will actually be the case?

Yeah I hope not. I don’t think the current rate will be the going pace.

They basically chucked all their eggs in the AZ basket then freaked when the ridiculously low level of blood clotting happened. Now they’re all in with Pfizer but have to wait for months for shipments.

I just hope I’ll be able to get back to family at Christmas. 

16 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Hear you but why not take advantage of a proven model that works elsewhere.

2 positive cases potentially (not even guaranteed) linked to the concert out of 5,000 attendees is far from superspreading and surely shows how indoor concerts can be run with an acceptable risk.

And the concert took place when covid numbers in the population were quite high too. This will fall in the Summer.

And then at some point, test the same without masks (taking advantage of greater vaccinated numbers) and move to the endgame...

It would work for bigger events in arenas etc. Just feel for the smaller ones - I just saw an advert for a gig at Jimmy's and was thinking is it financially viable for them to put gigs on if people are essentially prohibited from drinking at them if they have a mask on? Not to mention even if 20% wanted refunds that could be difficult for the bands too. Such a weird situation

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I think my gym is the best example I have at the moment and the closet thing to hot sweaty lively gig (I get other gigs are available).

Most people are young (20s to 40s - average gig demographic) and most choose not to wear a mask.  

I am pretty confident most people would choose not to wear one.  A lot of the replies to the poll are saying that as well.

But that doesn’t take account of the people that haven’t returned to the gym as yet ... so for example me ... and my folks who have quit it altogether ... 

17 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

The ones you book online are for the larger vaccination centres. If your contacted they tend to be for your smaller local vaccination hubs.

Yes I'll just keep trying but I just don't understand why they would have ones that far away coming up. I live in Stockport and most of the ones coming up are in Sheffield. I just don't understand why it doesn't show you the ones nearer to you but just for dates that are further away. 

4 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

It would work for bigger events in arenas etc. Just feel for the smaller ones - I just saw an advert for a gig at Jimmy's and was thinking is it financially viable for them to put gigs on if people are essentially prohibited from drinking at them if they have a mask on? Not to mention even if 20% wanted refunds that could be difficult for the bands too. Such a weird situation

But when we reopen in May, you can take the mask off to have a drink.  So they won't be prohibited from drinking. If anything you'd encourage it!

6 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

People were able to drink in the 5,000 person event, only in designated zones. 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

nah hes on his way now .....  theres gonna be something later on This week to finish him off I reckon 

I think you might be right! This all feels very coordinated to get him out and wouldn’t surprise me if they have a bigger bombshell coming this week.

8 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Does it matter that he actually did in the end choose to order the lockdown or are we just going full throttle smear ? 

No it doesn't matter that he eventually did the right thing. Because he did it way too late on both occasions to avoid any damage. He only caved after huge pressure from scientists and the opposition and he clearly didn't want to do it or think it was the right thing to do. 

What on earth are you on about, The man thinks of the British population as canon fodder, he has repeated allowed far more deaths to occur last year, due to this attitude. "Shook hands with everyone" "take it on the chin" Care Homes scandals, locking down too late on all three occasions. 

This is not smear, if anything the press is going light on Johnson, considering the wall to wall fuck ups committing by the Tory government last year.

Smear is tearing down a politicians character based upon something dumb like a bacon sandwich or something completely untrue. This is not smear, this is a long time coming

Edited by ace56blaa
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Of course if nearly 80% of gig goers are willing to go with a mask then for a few months, concerts could take place.

And you could still have sold out shows.  There is far less that is competing for people's attention entertainment-wise compared to pre-covid and people are keen to spend money again.

Indoor concerts with masks are a good interim solution until we get back to normal.

19 minutes ago, xxialac said:

People were able to drink in the 5,000 person event, only in designated zones. 

That does sound a bit crap to be honest. Not particularly a fan of wearing masks to gigs but I would do if it was the only option, but designated areas for drinking is properly rubbish.  

• Like 1

Just now, zero000 said:

That does sound a bit crap to be honest. Not particularly a fan of wearing masks to gigs but I would do if it was the only option, but designated areas for drinking is properly rubbish.  

I agree but I guess it's just for a couple of months until more are vaccinated/cases come down to a few hundred. And it's better than no drinking surely (which they could have gone with).

Of course, you can just have the gig outdoors in the first place and test people which removes the need for masks, albeit surely no one wants to see indoor venues permanently close down.

Indeed if you could make a case that by wearing a mask and attending an indoor gig, not only are you seeing a band you like, you are helping to keep indoor venues alive.