When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

52 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I’d be surprised if he beat Sunak in the run-off. 

Yeah, I can't see anyone who Gove beats in a run off of Tory members, at one point he'd have beat a remainer like Hunt on Brexit alone but now that's past I think Gove's only hope would be a May style victory by default as everyone else pulls out.

From a Times article today about us being on track for lifting restrictions on 21st June, SAGE don't sound so convinced. Apparently we need to keep it "under control" until children are vaccinated. 

Despite this, modelling for the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) suggests that Covid status certificates, smaller crowds and less “presenteeism” are likely to be needed to keep the virus under control, even if all adults are vaccinated.

At present social contacts are at about a quarter of normal levels, but the modelling suggests that it will be hard to go higher than three quarters of pre-pandemic mixing levels while keeping the R number below one. Only by vaccinating children could Britain be sure that herd immunity was reached because of the faster spreading Kent variant, the estimates suggest.

Advisers believe that there could be a need for testing before entering busy indoor environments, with improved ventilation and reduced numbers.

They also want to encourage people not go in to work if they have any sign of illness, to reduce the risk of infection, believing that ending Britain’s culture of “presenteeism” will be crucial in keeping the coronavirus at bay.

Edited by efcfanwirral

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

From a Times article today about us being on track for lifting restrictions on 21st June, SAGE don't sound so convinced. Apparently we need to keep it "under control" until children are vaccinated. 

Despite this, modelling for the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) suggests that Covid status certificates, smaller crowds and less “presenteeism” are likely to be needed to keep the virus under control, even if all adults are vaccinated.

At present social contacts are at about a quarter of normal levels, but the modelling suggests that it will be hard to go higher than three quarters of pre-pandemic mixing levels while keeping the R number below one. Only by vaccinating children could Britain be sure that herd immunity was reached because of the faster spreading Kent variant, the estimates suggest.

Advisers believe that there could be a need for testing before entering busy indoor environments, with improved ventilation and reduced numbers.

They also want to encourage people not go in to work if they have any sign of illness, to reduce the risk of infection, believing that ending Britain’s culture of “presenteeism” will be crucial in keeping the coronavirus at bay.

Boffins moving the goalposts again I see. 

This goes against that: vaccinating the parents will stop school spread.

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I'm not even sure that they meant the school spread was the problem - they seem to want herd immunity and be willing to impose crowd limitations on indoor spaces and need the R to stay below 1. It sounds like zero covid to me 

Edited by efcfanwirral

4 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'm not even sure that they meant the school spread was the problem - they seem to want herd immunity and be willing to impose crowd limitations on indoor spaces and need the R to stay below 1. It sounds like zero covid to me 

well, they are going for herd immunity...they're trying to vaccinate everyone...and doing a pretty good job of it....and in theory this gets us to very low levels of covid, right?

7 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Hopefully the CRG can keep them in their place. Once everyone is vaccinated we need to stop this nonsense about social distancing 'just in case'

12 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Yeah. But that's the opinion of Barry on Twitter with 11 followers and a mathematician from Bristol.

SAGE might have a bit more expertise in this area.

7 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Again from the Times

A review of social distancing is due to report on whether restrictions such as the “one-metre-plus” rule will need to be maintained beyond the summer.

Which is the death knell for all festivals, clubs and busy bars if they decide to play cautious.

Hopefully it gets quietly binned by the government

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/biden-administration-set-to-relax-outdoor-mask-guidance/ar-BB1g4oL5?li=BBnb7Kz

Looks like Biden might start following the science instead of "just in case"...

This is a big one for me as I have all my eggs in the USA holiday basket next year (2 trips planned) and I don't want to masks all day in the Theme Parks because it makes no sense 🙂 

Saying that Fauci is still trying to keep up some sort of pretence they do make a difference while saying they don't make a difference.  I have to say - he hasn't had a good pandemic....

I dont agree about Fauci. When he had to deal with Trump, he was the sane man in the room. 

So much of it is state based anyway that it has little to do with him or Biden

16 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/biden-administration-set-to-relax-outdoor-mask-guidance/ar-BB1g4oL5?li=BBnb7Kz

Looks like Biden might start following the science instead of "just in case"...

This is a big one for me as I have all my eggs in the USA holiday basket next year (2 trips planned) and I don't want to masks all day in the Theme Parks because it makes no sense 🙂 

Saying that Fauci is still trying to keep up some sort of pretence they do make a difference while saying they don't make a difference.  I have to say - he hasn't had a good pandemic....

Masks outside in the state with the theme parks sounds very uncomfortable! 

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

I have LA booked for Feb 2022 and Orlando for August 2022.

I really don't fancy wearing a mask all day in Orlando 40c 100% humidity 🙂 

I'd be surprised if you'll be needing to wear a mask by then...unless something goes very badly wrong. Covid will just be a poor country problem we'll see on the news occasionally.