When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

5 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

So we are a few weeks into pubs being allowed to open outside, for those that have gone, what's demand like? Was it hard to find a slot for a table to book? Was everything full? Were there queues?

Genuinely intrigued, as the nice weather means its the best possible circumstances for this sort of thing, so if people were right with the idea of everyone being desperate to get back to normal then getting a table at a pub should have been like trying to get Glasto tickets. If demand was merely just a little over supply it suggests there's still a fair amount of hesitancy out there.

Much less crazy than I thought it'd be. Daytime is easy to find somewhere, evenings and weekends have been busier but not absolutely nightmareish.

Restaurant/foody places have been booked up near me so can't comment on that, but haven't had any more than a five minute wait for a pub or bar.

8 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

So we are a few weeks into pubs being allowed to open outside, for those that have gone, what's demand like? Was it hard to find a slot for a table to book? Was everything full? Were there queues?

Genuinely intrigued, as the nice weather means its the best possible circumstances for this sort of thing, so if people were right with the idea of everyone being desperate to get back to normal then getting a table at a pub should have been like trying to get Glasto tickets. If demand was merely just a little over supply it suggests there's still a fair amount of hesitancy out there.

I looked for liverpool City centre this coming Saturday and not a table to be found anywhere, though a few places apparently do walk ins. Same for local area at weekend, though it seems a bit easier if you can be flexible with going in the week 

12 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Town centre pubs/restaurants on Friday nights and throughout the weekends tend to be busy and I think if you're lucky you can get a walk in but most people are pre-booking to make sure.

I think during the week its a lot easier, the weather is due to turn a bit colder with some rain in my area next week so that will affect things i'm sure.

Once we get to May 17th and fingers crossed people are allowed inside again I think it should be (nearly) back to what it was just before Christmas, then its just a case of waiting for June 21st so people can move about inside with no masks etc

11 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Though I agree some people are not ready for normality or anything close judging by the comments on a liverpool echo post about the set-up of sefton park for the gig on Sunday- it was about 9 to 1 in favour of comments like "lockdown 4 incoming", "yeah because the virus knows not to spread at a gig", "government testing on liverpool because they don't vote for them", "big spike incoming" etc. There will be some general panic if/when these things come back even when they have stringent rules about testing and vaccine passports 

7 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I looked for liverpool City centre this coming Saturday and not a table to be found anywhere, though a few places apparently do walk ins. Same for local area at weekend, though it seems a bit easier if you can be flexible with going in the week 

Me and my girlfriend foolishly thought we’d be able to walk in to town last Saturday and find somewhere to go for a pint. How wrong we were - it was possibly the busiest I’ve ever seen it, queues down the road from anywhere that has any kind of outdoor area. Was horrible to be in and we quickly just turned back around. 

Weekdays are still busy but obviously not as much, but Fridays and especially Saturdays are just a total write off for me until stuff settles down. That first weekend post-May 17 when stuff is open again is gonna be chaos, and then tenfold post-June 21.

Bristol city centre was buzzing on Saturday.

We were only down there for a wander around the harbourside but most places had a queue although none were massive apart from the weatherspoons.

There was a big queue outside the Tesco express because people were clearly just as happy to buy cans etc. and sit in groups.

It was a good atmosphere, everyone seemed really happy to be out & about.

31 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I gave the first weekend a swerve because I was super busy with work and just wanted to relax but I did go out Friday and Saturday this weekend (in London). 

Friday we managed to get a table for 5 in a beer garden, but it had been booked since not long after the roadmap came out.

Saturday we managed to get a table for 3 in a beer garden in the afternoon on about a week’s notice, and a dinner reservation that we booked ages ago. We tried to book a second pub for after dinner on just a couple of days notice and couldn’t find anything. Ended up settling for post dinner beers in my garden instead of trying to find a walk in. 

19 minutes ago, stuie said:

Sorry but that’s all a load of old tosh. 

At this stage of the pandemic people have decided whether they will comply with face coverings or not.  If they do, they will have it with them and use it inside. 

They make no difference to transmission outdoors.

I completely disagree with you.

In Spain compliance with maskwearing indoors is far, far higher than the UK. Much of that can be attributed to walking the streets and seeing everyone wearing masks. 

Humans are social conformists.

The more we see masks, the more we wear masks. So seeing masks outdoors has a benefit on maskwearing indoors.

It acts as a nudge technique. Like a relatively financially insignificant 5p on a plastic bag (after all what's 5p when you're often spending tens of pounds?) had had a highly significant reduction in people using them.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Haha that was my exact thoughts on them. Only jesting though, Melvin Benn is involved so there is a voice involved who knows what it's all about! 

He's not been involved for many years now, 2012 am sure.

He is a chairman of the advisory board at Wembley still, he resigned as another role there too.

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

In Spain compliance with maskwearing indoors is far, far higher than the UK. Much of that can be attributed to walking the streets and seeing everyone wearing masks. 

The more we see masks, the more we wear masks. So seeing masks outdoors has a benefit on maskwearing indoors.

It acts as a nudge technique. Like a relatively financially insignificant 5p on a plastic bag (after all what's 5p when you're often spending tens of pounds?) had had a highly significant reduction in people using them.

Wrong.

It’s 90%+ in the UK

11 minutes ago, xxialac said:

So you think it is sensible that if going a walk to the park 5 mins from my house I should have to wear a face mask? If so, that is laughable.

24 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

He's not been involved for many years now, 2012 am sure.

He is a chairman of the advisory board at Wembley still, he resigned as another role there too.

He's quoted on this https://www.gov.uk/government/news/festival-republic-joins-government-pilot-programme-with-a-live-gig-to-trial-the-safe-return-of-fans so looks like some involvement with the government scheme (at least for the gig part)

33 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Wrong.

It’s 90%+ in the UK

Allow me to answer from the perspective of, you know, having actually spent meaningful time in both countries. 

It was even immediately visible at airports. I saw plenty of staff not wearing masks at both Heathrow and Gatwick including even customs' people. This would be unthinkable over here.

And in shops over Christmas and Easter in the UK most wore masks in the UK but certainly not all. A lot of people had them under their chin or at very least over their mouth not their nose. Whereas in shops here the compliance is pretty much 100% and they wear them properly. 

It's just a bit of cloth to wear temporarily and for most for a small fraction of the day. It's not taking people's freedoms away.

Edited by xxialac

12 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

He's quoted on this https://www.gov.uk/government/news/festival-republic-joins-government-pilot-programme-with-a-live-gig-to-trial-the-safe-return-of-fans so looks like some involvement with the government scheme (at least for the gig part)

Sorry I thought you meant Glastonbury.

Yes he was pressing the UK government to do an outdoor gig, so he got one to do.

That's about all he is involved with, apart from being quite in with some Tory MPs 

6 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Here you go...

If this is provable then this is very serious, I’d agree with the SNP that he would have to resign. No leader of a country could say something like this at any time. It also makes his slow actions in December make more sense now. 

Just now, Barry Fish said:

There is another way of looking at it.  We let 20,000 people die of Flu every year by not having lockdowns.  Aren't his comments similar ? 

Without full context it’s hard to say but in the middle of a pandemic that had by that stage killed thousands the PM shouldn’t be making those comments. If the PM would rather see bodies pile up then I’d say he isn’t the right person to be PM in a pandemic. 

28 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Allow me to answer from the perspective of, you know, having actually spent meaningful time in both countries. 

It was even immediately visible at airports. I saw plenty of staff not wearing masks at both Heathrow and Gatwick including even customs' people. This would be unthinkable over here.

And in shops over Christmas and Easter in the UK most wore masks in the UK but certainly not all. A lot of people had them under their chin or at very least over their mouth not their nose. Whereas in shops here the compliance is pretty much 100% and they wear them properly. 

It's just a bit of cloth to wear temporarily and for most for a small fraction of the day. It's not taking people's freedoms away.

Just out of interest is there any exemption from facemasks ? I think that might be our issue here ... 

14 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

There is another way of looking at it.  We let 20,000 people die of Flu every year by not having lockdowns.  Aren't his comments similar ? 

I think I can understand the outburst personally.  At some point we have to learn to live with deaths from Covid.  I wouldn't want to see a third lockdown.

TBH any PM who said that about any public health situation in any context should be out on their ear immediately

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

Manchester's been alright if you know where to look and get a bit lucky here and there, I haven't booked anywhere and am fairly deep in my overdraft thanks to the last couple of weeks. I did queue for near enough an hour to get into YES Saturday afternoon but its one of the better spots for a bit of craic with those around you so I didn't mind and just stayed there long enough to make the hour wait worth it.