When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

21 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

I totally agree.

The trial event the other day though did nobody catch Covid there because the mitigation works or because nobody there had covid? If it's the latter the same would have happened with a full house. 

It's just a question of testing logistics not testing the mitigations at the moment given the low levels in the community.

I did think this- it's like they need two parts to this events research thing,  because its clearly OK now and may be over summer 

But I think if they tried these events in September or October they would have some very different results. I'm for trying some events in summer (though less gung ho than i was about full capacity) but they need to be very careful come autumn. To the point where I think maybe rolling back on gatherings preemptively ahead of the time it spiked last year would probably be the most sensible move then look into whether it's actually safe over winter 

Edited by efcfanwirral

10 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

People won't just snap back to normal.  The questions come when those people are happy to the pub without social distancing but not the office.  Facebook/ Instagram snooping by managers on the cards lol

100% this.

People have already been warned at my firm about this exact issue.

32 minutes ago, Ted Dansons Wig said:

I think its varying wildly. We can go in but its being actively discouraged (significant meetings only) until December. Even then - you have to book a space, you cant just turn up (we normally hot desk).

90% of my friends work in offices and I agree it seems to be varying widly....It even seems to be varying dept to dept in our office.

Senior Management now also suggesting we have everyone in one one day at the end of May to say hello to each other if possible to socially distance with 30 of us there. Luckily we all work in small rooms rather than an open plan office so can get most people in easily.

19 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I think until everyone has been offered a vaccine companies need to be flexible and understanding.  After that point its the companies decision I feel.  

My work have reaffirmed this week the commitment to flexible working and the business area I work in is happy for staff to carry on as we are going into the office once a month for a team meeting. It seems like a sensible way of dealing with it.

Desks are being got rid of so they’ll be less capacity for staff in the office as well.

19 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I think until everyone has been offered a vaccine companies need to be flexible and understanding.  After that point its the companies decision I feel.  

I’ve said to my work that I would go down to the office before I’m fully vaccinated, but won’t visit customers until I am. 

My customers are hospitals so I feel there is additional risk in me going. But I will see how that holds. 

25 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

My work have reaffirmed this week the commitment to flexible working and the business area I work in is happy for staff to carry on as we are going into the office once a month for a team meeting. It seems like a sensible way of dealing with it.

Desks are being got rid of so they’ll be less capacity for staff in the office as well.

No word from my place on when office open again, which is surprising as they've been bullish in the past and even made up some bullshit that we are required in the office because we are essential workers or something.

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

90% of my friends work in offices and I agree it seems to be varying widly....It even seems to be varying dept to dept in our office.

Senior Management now also suggesting we have everyone in one one day at the end of May to say hello to each other if possible to socially distance with 30 of us there. Luckily we all work in small rooms rather than an open plan office so can get most people in easily.

Difference between companies that want to move to some sort of regular remote/hybrid working and those that are planning to have staff back in the office 5 days a week at some point, so trying to establish it earlier.

2 minutes ago, Boilingtent said:

Most of my mates are between 29-36. Only 2 out of about 15 of us have not had a vaccine. Lots of walk in centres giving them away no questions asked. In the arms!

How do you go about it though? Just barge in during the late afternoon? Where in the UK are we talking?

Also re working from home, surely it depends on your role? I’m a Project Manager who’s team are based throughout the US and India - there is absolutely no reason for me to go back into the office, and quite frankly there never was. Everything I do is remote.  
I also take the odd urgent calls later in the day if required, something I don’t mind doing as I no longer waste the best part of 3 hours commuting anymore. 

9 minutes ago, st dan said:

Also re working from home, surely it depends on your role? I’m a Project Manager who’s team are based throughout the US and India - there is absolutely no reason for me to go back into the office, and quite frankly there never was. Everything I do is remote.  
I also take the odd urgent calls later in the day if required, something I don’t mind doing as I no longer waste the best part of 3 hours commuting anymore. 

Same position, I've been more productive over the last year than previously becuase of the lack of a three hour commute. I'm easily putting in an additional five hours plus a week in plus have more time in the evenings. 

Interesting point raised by some colleagues yesterday about people seem to find more random Teams/Zoom meetings in their calandars now as opposed to the usual meetings of the past, especially those that are added without notice.